Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Bleo affects lung function, what to do?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If Bleo affects lung function, what to do?

    SIL has a lung function test today-just finished first cycle, 2 to go. His original test showed his lung function to be on the lower side of normal. If today's test shows impaired function, will they delay chemo a week, or should they just go to EP ? Then what would happen following that-add an extra cycle or a BP at the end? I'm a little nervous that his onc. seems to want to do this slowly-as in he originally wanted to give a break b/w 1st and 2nd cycle, but they told him no. Now if lung function becomes the issue, I'm thinking he (onc) will want the break.

  • #2
    Yes bleo has effect on lungs.I had pneumonia because it.
    On left testicle.It was removed.Diagnose: malignant Sertoli–Leydig cell tumour in stage 3.I had mets in lymph,liver and lungs.I had 4xBEP.All cleared after that.Third month in remission.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, a possible side effect of bleomycin is pulmonary toxicity/damage of lung tissue. If lung function is impaired/doctors are concerned about bleo toxicity I believe the likely course of action will be to finish the remainder chemo out as 3xEP (i.e. - add an extra cycle of EP) in addition to the 1st round he's already completed for a total of 4 cycles (1xBEP + 3xEP). Given the effectiveness of the chemo protocol, I believe there are very few scenarios where it would be recommended for chemo to be discontinued or postponed. With EP only, there would be a week (5 days of EP) chemo, then 2 weeks off -- repeat 3 more times. In that scenario (finish with 3xEP), no more bleo would be given so he would essentially have a 2 week break in between each week of chemo. Iím sure others will chime in with their thoughts/experience. Sounds like the Onc. will need to provide him with some additional clarity on the future course of action.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would not want to skip or delay any cycle. Assuming you were scheduled for 3xBEP, if lung function were an issue I'd request to switch to 4xEP instead of 3xBEP and continue with treatment on schedule. Obviously I am OK with that because I chose 4xEP over 3xBEP in the first place.
        6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
        7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
        7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
        10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
        10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
        4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
        4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
        3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

        Comment


        • #5
          OK, the good news is...for now all is well! So cycle 2 begins in 4 days, as planned. Thanks for the info-I thought as much, but wanted to have the info in case we need it.

          Comment


          • #6
            They won't stop BEP unless there is a risk of life-threatening lung damage, although some damage is to be expected. Stopping chemo mid-treatment is very dangerous, because it gives the tumor a chance to develop resistance.

            If a severe lung reaction to the BEP develops, they'll immediately switch to EP and give an additional round.
            March 2016: Right IO, Stage 3B Embryonal with bulky mass in retroperitoneum
            April-July '16: 4xBEP, AFP ~1800,
            August '16: PC-RPLND --> Only teratoma found
            September '16: Markers negative, ALL CLEAR, Surveillance!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EdOneBall View Post
              although some damage is to be expected.
              Hmmm, I believe the vast majority have no permanent lung damage after bleo.

              Dave

              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EdOneBall View Post
                although some damage is to be expected.
                Disclosure in that I have not been able to pull the full-text article to read it yet (I lost my remote medical library access which stinks) but this is in press now and looks like about 10% of guys receiving bleomycin for testis cancer had some level of pulmonary toxicity. http://www.clinical-genitourinary-ca...255-5/abstract At least it gives somewhat of a perspective.

                Mike
                Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                06.26.06 Left I/O
                06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                Surveillance...
                Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

                Comment


                • #9
                  That is actually higher than I thought, but still fairly low.
                  Last edited by Davepet; 10-16-16, 12:08 AM.
                  Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                  Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I didn't know the exact probabilities, but my oncologist warned me that it's common especially as I received 4xBEP.

                    10% is common, but still good odds.
                    March 2016: Right IO, Stage 3B Embryonal with bulky mass in retroperitoneum
                    April-July '16: 4xBEP, AFP ~1800,
                    August '16: PC-RPLND --> Only teratoma found
                    September '16: Markers negative, ALL CLEAR, Surveillance!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey guys, update and still need help! SIL began 3rd cycle yesterday. He completed 2XBEP, but Dr. changed it yesterday to EP due to lung function that he felt was getting dangerous. OK, we get it. Since he has no Bleo this 5 day cycle and loses the 2 one day bleo, isn't he supposed to have an extra EP? Maybe I don't understand it correctly. Dr. wants to end chemo here-2xbep and 1xEP, b/c SIL also has tinnitus from the cisplatin. He feels confident that the CT scan will show nothing, and no further need for treatment. Would he be at higher risk for recurrence?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am not a doctor. My guess is that missing 3 doses of bleo is unlikely to affect the overall outcome, but I really don't know for sure. You mightt want to email Dr E to see what he thinks.
                        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would have your doctor chat with Dr. Einhorn at Indiana University as Dave mentioned. I have seen old data http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/jco.1995.13.2.470 (which is from 1995 and published by Dr. Einhorn) suggesting that the bleomycin was necessary and then there was a recent abstract looking at 3 cycles of EP (although the dose was a little different. http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/content/170099-176

                          Having someone like Dr. Einhorn that is intimately aware of any publications out there, give his input, would be incredibly valuable to me if I was deciding what to do for myself.

                          Mike
                          Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                          06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                          06.26.06 Left I/O
                          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                          06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                          Surveillance...
                          Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                          6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            thanks guys. We did email Einhorn, and he felt that the onc. was making the right decision in this case, b/c there was no invasion and he had halready had most of the bleo. We'll find out, I guess. Can't go further risking lung damage or deafness.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for the info from Dr. Einhorn. It is always good to hear what he recommends in the different situations.

                              Mike
                              Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                              06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                              06.26.06 Left I/O
                              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                              06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                              Surveillance...
                              Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                              6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X