• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joejoey
    • Jan 2017

Howdy!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to just introduce myself here as well, as I'm new to this most thrilling adventure called testicular cancer, and I'm also incredibly bored sitting here getting my last infusion of chemo for the first week.

My name's Joey, 26 years old, Stage IIB embryonal carcinoma (never thought I'd begin an introduction that way...), currently ending my first week of 3xBEP. I'm so ready for a weekend--I thought that weeks were only exhausting when you're working, but I've definitely been feeling the fatigue of treatment and I could use a weekend off. Tuesday I come back for my 2-hour Bleomycin infusion, so at least it's a three-day weekend.

I've been kinda lurking on the forums for the past few days and I've already read so much useful information. I keep wondering "when is [side effect] going to kick in", or "is my treatment schedule lining up to what everyone else is getting"...so it's very helpful to hear everyone else's perspective.

I'm also (attempting) to keep a blog of the treatment experience--mostly because writing it out helps me to process and I figure that if anyone else can take away any useful information (or maybe even a laugh), then it's definitely worth keeping. The link is in my signature, if anyone is interested in giving it a read.

Best wishes to all of you, no matter where in the journey you are,

Joey
    11/15/2016 - Ultrasound detects mass in left testicle
    11/23/2016 - Left I/O
    12/8/2016 - CT Scan indicates 2 enlarged lymph nodes, staged IIB
    12/21/2016 - Meet with medical oncologist, scheduled 3xBEP
    1/9/2017 - Began 3xBEP
    3/20/3017 - Finished 3xBEP (phew)
  • Trekga
    • Jan 2017

Hi Joey! I'm new here and my 17 year old son was dx last month. Just found out he needs chemo. So been reading your blog! I plan to share it with my son too.
    Enjoy the 3 day weekend.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
      • Dec 2016

Good luck, Joey!! I'm doing my second BEP cycle now for what sounds like a similar case too and I reckon you will feel a whole lot better by then because you'll know exactly what to expect with all the side effects, your energy levels and so on. Feel free to message me any time!
      July 2016 - Left I/O
      December 2016 - BEPx3
      All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
      My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
      First Oncologist Visit Checklist
      Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• Nish115
        • Nov 2016

Heya, similar stage as Joe, 2nd cycle of BEP so feel free to ask any questions and welcome!
        24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
        Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
        Pre/o CT Clear
        Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
        Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
        Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
        Borderline stage 2B/3B
        BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
        CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

• Scottdbltrbl
          • Nov 2016

I to am 2b, second cycle of BEP. Just finished my 5 day and get Bleo on Tuesdays. Keep on keeping on.

Comment

• Trpnblly
            • Aug 2016

Just finished my first week as well. 2nd Bleo tomorrow (no rest for MLK Jr). So far so good I think. I'm tired and my stomach has been a rotten mess but it could be worse. Just hoping tomorrow doesn't start the dreaded nausea.

Comment

• Scottdbltrbl
              • Nov 2016

Push the water, 2 qts a day. Made all the difference between cycle 1and 2 so far. Never drank much water to begin with, but now I believe.

Comment

• JeskiM69
                • May 2014

I found that in the second cycle all my symptoms hit a day earlier than the first cycle.

In the first cycle I didn't start Zofran till Thursday. In the second cycle I threw up on Wednesday right after the infusions....I should had started my Zofran that morning....that's what I got for not listening to the nurse that cycle.

Water helped me through cycles 1 and 2, but that 3rd cycle nothing helped, just the thought of water made me nauseous.

- Matt
                March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                LDH never fully normalized
                Stage: IS
                Watchful Waiting
                May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                May 12th: started 3xBEP
                Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                September 4th: Port removed
                Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• joejoey
                  • Jan 2017

Thanks all! I've been trying to push the water intake and the key so far has been keeping up on the nausea meds. I've figured that if I can take it every 8 hours, I can get 2-3 of the nausea pills in during the day which has definitely made it more manageable. When the nausea kicks in though it's really hard to make myself drink water.

My hearing has been kinda foggy very recently (it sounds like my ears are all plugged up) and I got a little bit of the tinnitus, but not too bad. Is that cause for concern?
                  11/15/2016 - Ultrasound detects mass in left testicle
                  11/23/2016 - Left I/O
                  12/8/2016 - CT Scan indicates 2 enlarged lymph nodes, staged IIB
                  12/21/2016 - Meet with medical oncologist, scheduled 3xBEP
                  1/9/2017 - Began 3xBEP
                  3/20/3017 - Finished 3xBEP (phew)

Comment

• Nish115
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by joejoey View Post
                    Thanks all! I've been trying to push the water intake and the key so far has been keeping up on the nausea meds. I've figured that if I can take it every 8 hours, I can get 2-3 of the nausea pills in during the day which has definitely made it more manageable. When the nausea kicks in though it's really hard to make myself drink water.

My hearing has been kinda foggy very recently (it sounds like my ears are all plugged up) and I got a little bit of the tinnitus, but not too bad. Is that cause for concern?

I've had hearing issues all treatment, it improves if it's anything like mine so don't be too worried, but mention it to them as per any symptom.
                    24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
                    Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
                    Pre/o CT Clear
                    Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
                    Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
                    Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
                    Borderline stage 2B/3B
                    BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
                    CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

Working...
                    X