X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aklesevhsoj
    • Dec 2016

Elevated LDH after Surgery

So I was wondering if anyone knows if elevated LDH after surgery is a cause for concern? My LDH was normal before my I/O, and then it was at 440 ml/U 2 weeks post surgery and 455 ml/U at 4 weeks post surgery. My AFP and HCG have been normal at every test.

My doctors said that at 2 weeks after it's probably the result of healing from surgery. But now at 4 weeks out they're still not greatly concerned. I did have my dental cleaning the day before my 4 weeks post surgery LDH test. And I've been trying to exercise the past week by walking for 20 minutes on a steep incline on the treadmill.
    Last edited by aklesevhsoj; 01-20-17, 02:29 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
    11/16/16 - Something feels off,maybe I have a hernia
    11/23/16 - "You may have cancer"
    12/13/16 - "You most likely have cancer"
    12/21/16 - Left I/O followed by "You definitely have cancer"; 100% classic seminoma, multifocal with tumors at 2cm, 1.2cm, and 4mm, no vascular invasion, no LVI, and no spermatic cord invasion
    12/28/16 - CT scans reveals one suspicious para-aortic lymph node measuring 1.2cm; staged at seminoma IIa
    1/3/17 - Radiation therapy recommended as treatment from hospital tumor board
    1/23/17 - Started RT for 19 sessions
    2/16/17 - All done with radiation
    5/25/17 - All clear given; currently on surveillance
    9/28/17 - Still all clear
  • Trekga
    • Jan 2017

I am new to the board, well my 17 year old son is, but I do know LDH is basically "tissue changes" within the body. It may be different for Seminoma and Nonseminoma.
    I believe another community member posted a link to an article. n my son's case is LDH was very elevated pre/o, and still is 4 weeks after, but so are the other two tumor markers.
    Hope someone else can chime in.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• S P
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

LDH is a very non-specific marker, and not reliable for or used as a primary indicator for TC. My LDH was elevated at my time of diagnosis back in 2011, but that could have been from the fact that I had just done something really stupid a few days prior, and was hurting (and healing) from that.

I wrote this blog at TCAF to clear up misconceptions about markers.

Reach out to us with any questions or concerns about testicular cancer. Our team is here to support you. Contact us today!

Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
      April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
      www.stevepake.com
      Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
      My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
      C
      ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• Trekga
        • Jan 2017

Thanks for posting the article!
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Davepet
          • Mar 2010

As Steve said, LDH is not really a good marker, yes, we have guys here who discovered a recurrence only because of LDH levels, but it is pretty rare. LDH pretty much measures inflammation. It is not specific to cancer of any sort. Certainly, keep monitoring it, but unless it continues to climb I would not be worried just yet.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
          X