X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently diagnosed Leydig Cell Tumor

I am 34. About two months ago I had an orchiectomy on my right testical. The original pathology report diagnosed my tumor as a 9mm seminoma. About a week later the final pathology report had a change - the final pathology report classified it has an Adrenal Rest - which is not cancer.

I was surprised by such a significant change from the original to the final report. After doing some research and realizing how rare testicular cancer is I decided to get a second opinion at the University of Indiana. (I went to IU after reading about their extensive experience in treating testicular cancer. )I received their pathology report about a week and a half ago - they diagnosed it as a Leydig Cell Tumor which is most likely benign. They classified it has most likely benign because I do not have any of the risk factors they look at for malignant tumors.

My Dr. says there is a 98-99% chance the tumor is benign and it will not spread. However, I am still leaning towards having RPLND surgery in a couple of weeks. Even though the %'s are in my favor - the information out there about this tumor is very limited since it is very rare. If it spreads while under surveillance my Dr. believes chances for survival are only 50%.

I am wondering if there is anyone reading this that has been diagnosed with a Leydig Cell Tumor - and how they handled their treatment.

Also - does anyone know of any studies done on this type of tumor - I have found a few - but there are not many out there and the studies I have found seem to be dated.

Thanks for your input!!!!

Hi Leydig

Sorry to welcome you to the board that no one ever thought they'd be a part of. Leydig cell tumors make up approximately 5% of testicular cancers. They are responsible for making testosterone. the other 95% of TC is related to the germ cell tumors which make sperm. I think you did the right thing by going to IU. Good luck with the RPLND if you decide to go for it. Let us know hot it goes.

Daniel

Comment

With a 98% chance of already being cured, I think you might want to consider that the risks of complications from a RPLND may actually be higher than your risk of problems from the original tumor.

Dave
      Last edited by Davepet; 05-10-17, 01:13 AM.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
      X