Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel I know so much about everyone from a medical standpoint, but not much more.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel I know so much about everyone from a medical standpoint, but not much more.

Just thought I would ask the other survivors or supporters about them personally. What do you guys and gals enjoy? Where are you from? Basically anything. There can be life outside of TC and Iíd like to know more about the people that have been so supportive throughout mine and everyone elseís journey.

Iím personally a huge West Virginia Mountaineers fan. I also have my bachelors degree in Mathematics and a Masters in secondary education. I am a math teacher. I also am a fan of all their he professional teams in Pittsburgh (ironically I have a strong dislike for the University of Pittsburgh athletic teams.) I love to travel, favorite beer is an IPA, Love Chinese food. what about you all?
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 9/12/18 All clears up to here!

Iím 32. Have a two year old. Masters in electrical engineeer, work on implantable medical devices. I like eating out and doing home remodeling type of work. I go to a CrossFit style class nearly everyday. I like light beers like Czech pilsners. I enjoy authentic Indian food. I like Netflix (currently watching Babylon Berlin) and YouTube (battlefield games, electronics blogs)
    Age 31 - Portland, OR
    01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
    13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
    27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
    06DEC16 - CT scan clear
    09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
    03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
    18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

My son Grant (high functioning autism) is 18, a senior in High School. He is busy trying to figure out what he is doing after graduation in May. He is leaning towards being a TA in a special needs elementary classroom. Grant is still on the fence about college. Grant is still working towards his Eagle Scout rank (extension due to chemo/RPNLD last year). He likes art, collecting model cars, mountain bike riding, hiking, spicy food, and eats veggies as much as he eats junk food.
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

I am also a big fan of all Pittsburgh pro teams. Most of my family lives in the Pittsburgh PA area. However I spent 10 years in MA. 15 years in CO, and the last 16 in Austin TX. I've got a BS and MS in Atmospheric Sciences/Climatology. Did research work in that area for a while. Went back to school and got an MS in Management and Information Technology. For the last 18 years I've been doing primarily Database work. Hobbies include scale modeling (anything involving jet aircraft) and working outside on my 1.5 acres doing landscape work and growing obscure plant/tree species. As for beers I mostly like Ambers and Bocks. As for eating I'll eat just about anything/everything....for example today we went out to lunch at an authentic Uzbekistan restaurant.

- Matt
        March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
        March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
        6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
        LDH never fully normalized
        Stage: IS
        Watchful Waiting
        May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
        May 12th: started 3xBEP
        Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
        July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
        August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
        September 4th: Port removed
        July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

50 here. Big fan of the Dark Souls videogame franchise (I'm "snotgarden" on PSN).
          I also enjoy working on home improvement projects (a little too much - I tend to start more than I finish).
          I love writing, and I teach epidemiology. I was a math major in college, studied four dimensional fractals, but none of the profs were interested in that!
          I've visited each of the lower 48 states (by driving across the whole country - 6 times).
          I live in Providence, RI within 2 blocks of a dozen intriguing restaurants, and in Vermont, 30 miles from a single interesting one!

And I'm curious if anyone else here is gay - not looking to date anyone - just curious.
          Painless lump 5/18/2017
          Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
          Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
          No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

Mom of boy/girl twins. I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind! Just got back from a great vacation sailing nine days in the BVI. First time to kind of relax and breath in since my son was diagnosed in July 2017. In my 50"s, work full-time. I like to go and have fun with friends and husband. My son rolls his eyes at me every time I've mentioned this site or quote something from it, but that's okay it has helped him in so many ways. Some he does not even know about. Thank you to all who share and give advise!
            Last edited by Ann; 02-22-18, 03:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by dcalandrelli View Post
              Just thought I would ask the other survivors or supporters about them personally. What do you guys and gals enjoy? Where are you from? Basically anything. There can be life outside of TC and I’d like to know more about the people that have been so supportive throughout mine and everyone else’s journey.

I’m personally a huge West Virginia Mountaineers fan. I also have my bachelors degree in Mathematics and a Masters in secondary education. I am a math teacher. I also am a fan of all their he professional teams in Pittsburgh (ironically I have a strong dislike for the University of Pittsburgh athletic teams.) I love to travel, favorite beer is an IPA, Love Chinese food. what about you all?
              BLEGH, I've felt this really strong connection to you due to our similar situations, but now I find out you're a Pittsburgh fan....

*** Serum Markers Never High***
              July 14, 2017: Lump on right testicle
              July 20: US show 3 lesions "highly suspicious for testicular cancer"
              July 26: Pelvic CT shows 1 lymph node @ 2cm, 1 @ 1.4cm
              July 30: Right Radical Orchiectomy
              Aug 2: Pathology report "100% Embryonal Carcinoma"
              Aug 20: Oncologist stages 2A, wants RPLND primary treatment, 2nd CT
              Sept 13: 2nd CT shows nodes now 2.4cm and 1.8cm
              Sept 15: Now Stage 2B, New treatment 3x BEP
              Oct. 2: Begin 3x BEP
              Nov. 28: Finish 3x BEP 2018
              Jan. 04: First all clear CT. Scattered Ground Glass Opacity in lungs common to drug toxicity
              8/21/18: Blood tests/CT negative. STILL ALL CLEAR

Comment

I'm a mom of three. My youngest (20 and a junior in college) is the child with TC. Up until his diagnosis, I was a complete workaholic. My husband and I own a business with 150 employees...and there is never really a good time for fun or vacation (we did have a few when the kids were younger) I am able to work somewhat remotely but it really doesn't matter. I haven't left my son's side since he was diagnosed on February 9th 2018 with Stage III. It's amazing his diagnosis and subsequent complications have put my life back in perspective...the only thing that matters is family and friends.

Ann...my son rolls his eyes too when I read to him from this site...but I think it is secretly giving him hope

About my son...He is a junior at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana...go DAWGS! He is studying finance..."because that's where the jobs are"...his quote, not mine. He loves soccer, football and basketball. Loves debating politics...(eye roll from mom). Oh...he is also a warrior...as are each of you on this forum...and he is my new hero!

Comment

I'm the father of a 4 year old boy. We adopted him just before I was diagnosed. I'm an electrical engineer and have worked on things that submerge, things that shoot, and things that entertain kids. I used to play in a punk band (trumpet, guitar, and singing) and am just starting to get back to playing, not punk, after becoming a Dad and a survivor. I love woodworking, have built a few instruments, and hope to do more.
                  Aug 2013: vague fevers, exhaustion, weight loss, night sweats
                  Sept 2013: became a father
                  Oct 2013: diagnosis PMNSGCT, ~5cm x 5cm, AFP: 43 bHCG: 0
                  Dec 2013: cycle 1, VIP 3wks
                  Jan 2014: cycle 2, VIP 3wks, became allergic to polysorbates
                  Feb 2014: AFP 813, bHCG: 0, scrapped chemo
                  Feb 2014: upper left lobectomy, 7x6x5 cm tumor, teratoma / adenocarcinoma
                  March 2014: AFP 70
                  March 2014: AFP 19
                  Apr 2014: AFP 11 !!!!
                  Feb 2018: AFP & scans clear for 4 years

Comment

I'm pretty boring, age 63, married 29 years this Sept., no kids, former construction worker (carpentry, roofing, mostly) Lack of work during last recession forced a career change to Engineering Technician, where I test soils, aggregate, concrete & asphalt to insure they meet the required specifications. Most of my free time is spent taking care of chores.

Dave
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I'm pretty boring, age 63, married 29 years this Sept., no kids, former construction worker (carpentry, roofing, mostly, but did a bit of everything). Lack of work during last recession forced a career change to Engineering Technician, where I test soils, aggregate, concrete & asphalt to insure they meet the required specifications. Most of my free time is spent taking care of chores.

Dave
                      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

SchoolOnHold itís okay as a Pittsburgh pro fan my punishment for liking the Steelers is also liking the Pirates. It balances out.
                        3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 9/12/18 All clears up to here!

Comment

Working...
                        X