Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scans After BEP

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scans After BEP

    We've finished 3X BEP and had a CT follow up 4 weeks after. Doctor first told us everything looked good but he was going to have a neck doctor look it over. He called us the next day and said the two nodes in the neck and the one in the chest (mind you we were never told about this one) were still there but very small. Doctor said it could be scar tissue and he really didn't think it was going to be an issue. At 4 month follow up in December he wants scans and for us to also see the neck and chest doctor so they can decide if there needs to be surgery.

    Then.....today we went to see our local oncologist (we did chemo here but see an oncologist at MD). We told him what MD doctor said because they didn't send any results and he wants to do a scan in 6 weeks and he threw out the words more chemo or radiation as possible options, depending.

    I just feel so confused and stressed and unsettled.
    Any input?

    Also MD says his port can come out asap. Locally they want him to keep it for years.

  • #2
    At this point I would NOT do any further treatment until there is Conclusive evidence of viable disease.....period.

    How small are the remaining nodes ?

    If they are < 1cm then they should be watched (surveillance). If larger; then they must be proven to be viable/active cancer before any more treatments are needed.

    I would keep the scheduled set of scans for December. It's likely that by that point they will have shrunk further. I would not over-react just yet. If the doctors push for more treatments then make them prove it, like via a Biopsy. Or threaten/do get a new doctor or at least a second opinion.

    Regarding the port: I would schedule an appt. to get it taken out. At this point it's not needed for anything and is a liability and risk. If left in; then Shawn will need to have it flushed about every month to prevent the risk of blood clots or infections.

    - Matt
    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
    LDH never fully normalized
    Stage: IS
    Watchful Waiting
    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
    May 12th: started 3xBEP
    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
    September 4th: Port removed
    July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

    Comment


    • #3
      Honeslty from everyrhing i have been told 4 weeks is to early. 6 weeks is the target time for ct or petscans following bep. Alot has been going on with his body during the course of chemo and will continue to do so after chemo. You dont just wake up after chemo and everything is done.
      So i would as stated by jeskim69 wait until December before you do any, Unless they or you have a compelling reason. Like markers are going up, and other things. But it appears that the nodes are tracking down and not up in size.
      If need be next appointment slam on thr breaks and have the doctor explain it barney style.
      Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
      Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
      Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
      Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
      April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
      May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
      August 7th 2012- BEP complete
      April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
      May 2013 RPLND
      Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
      Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
      Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
      Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
      Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the input. I wondered if 4 weeks was a little early. It's just so unsettling when there is no black and white answers. His case has been different from the beginning and that adds to my unsettled-ness. The neck node tested as embryonal carcinoma, yet his burned out testicle tumor tested as seminoma. So I don't know I'm just all over the place feeling mentally drained. Glad chemo is over though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Its understandable to feel that way. Imagine what he must be feeling also. Not saying your feelings are not just as important. Just giving perspective.
          If he had even .1% of something other than seminoma than he is non-seminoma if that makes sense.
          Just keep an eye on his neck dont be feeling it everyday because then you will convince yourself that something has gone wrong. I would still stick to the plan on scans in december to tell you the news
          Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
          Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
          Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
          Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
          April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
          May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
          August 7th 2012- BEP complete
          April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
          May 2013 RPLND
          Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
          Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
          Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
          Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
          Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
          Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

          Comment

          Working...
          X