• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this interesting...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.16620eed231b

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

A nicely written piece, and important. It cuts both ways, though.

I think it's incredibly important that doctors (and their patients) understand probability when it comes to tests and diagnoses. A lot of people (including myself, at various points) want to believe that science is perfect, and that therefore, there is an precise and exact answer for whatever ails them. Unfortunately, this simply isn't true often. Doctors are doing their best with the information they have, and I think it's valuable that patients know that doctors can't always get it right. In my view, doctors are there to gather the facts and guide patients towards informed decisions that will give them the best chance at a positive outcome. Hopefully, this article and the studies it references will help more patients and health care providers understand that.

The worry I have is that sometimes patients have a preconceived notion about what is wrong with them and/or what the right treatment is. And I'm certain some will read this article and decide that if a doctor suggests something that goes against that preconceived notion, they now have "evidence" that the doctor doesn't know what she's talking about anyway. Hopefully, folks won't end up doing themselves more harm than good by taking the information herein out of context.

At any rate, that's my two cents. Thanks very much for sharing this.
    September 2018 - Right I/O
    October 2018 - Pathology: testicular fibrothecoma (benign)

Comment

I think the value of info like this is it empowers folks to ask questions. So many just accept the doc as the end all and don't feel like they should question his/her judgement, when ultimately it is our body and; we need to understand and be on board with any treatment plan. The doc needs to explain why a treatment is needed, and everyone involved needs to feel confident in the test results & what they actually mean. Too many just go to a doc and accept what he says as the truth without question.

Dave
      Last edited by Davepet; 10-08-18, 09:50 PM.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
      X