• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Bi
    started a topic RPLND Hospital advice

RPLND Hospital advice

Hi to all.

My son finished his chemo BEPX3 on 7th January 2019. Today he had CT scans in Mayo Rochester, his urologist said , there is one abdomen node enlarged from 0.7cm to 1.1cm with tumor markers normal, my son needs RPLND.

This is not surprising since I saw so many folks here took the same way, but now the problem is which hospital we should choose? Mayo or IU? Anyone knows Dr.Thompson( Huston Thompson)? My son is in the first semester of master , he has a job in the university, anyone could share information:how long can he back to study and work? Most time he just needs sitting .

Many thanks in advance!

Amy, Ryan’s mum

• biwi
    replied
    Happy to hear only teratoma was found. Yes, I found that almost every day was better than the previous when recovering from RPLND. Occasionally there may have been 2 days in a row where I felt the same, but overall he should be rapidly noticing improvement.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied
    Hi surfhb.

Now time will run fast, happy to hear in 7 days you will it done! I am sure you will beat it! Take care!

BRs

Amy, Ran’s mom

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied
    Hi wielandk,

I think I missed to thank you for your input, that gave me so much confidence. Now my son is already done with RPLND, recovery is slowly but everyday getting better.

I wish you and your son all the best! Really appreciate your comment!

Best regards

Amy ,Ran’s mom

Leave a comment:

• surfhb
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan Bi View Post
    Thank you, surfhb. Now waiting for your good news. When will your Chemo start? I wish you of good luck!

All will be good eventually!

BRs

Amy, Ran’s mom

I am complete with EPx1 right now. Final EP in 7 days. Then I’m done.

Leave a comment:

• surfhb
    replied
    Originally posted by Davepet View Post
    I had a mixed cell tumor & my onc ordered a PET/CT that clearly removed the doubt that the CT only scan had left. The ct only was kinda inconclusive, even though it suggested an oversize node. Even though all the docs currently are not convinced, I suspect that PET/CT will become the scanning tool of choice in the future. It shows everything the CT does, plus a bit more. Medical technology is a moving target, & always should be.

Dave
    I agree 100% with this Dave. When things are too close to call I would want the PET/CT done. In my case it identified nodes that were within normal range to be removed for RPLND.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied
    Thank you dcalandrelli.

Yes, now I am relax a lot. But I started to worry about next check up. I know I shouldn’t, perhaps no one can really get rid of thinking of TC, time can make it better!

Have a nice Sunday evening!

Amy, Ran’s mom

Leave a comment:

• dcalandrelli
    replied
    Glad to hear the pathology report came back fine! Now you all can enjoy some much needed relaxation.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied
    Thank you, surfhb. Now waiting for your good news. When will your Chemo start? I wish you of good luck!

BRs

Amy, Ran’s mom

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied

BRs

Amy, Ran’s mom

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Originally posted by S P View Post
    PET is non-standard care and not clinically indicated for any non-seminoma TC patients. .
    I had a mixed cell tumor & my onc ordered a PET/CT that clearly removed the doubt that the CT only scan had left. The ct only was kinda inconclusive, even though it suggested an oversize node. Even though all the docs currently are not convinced, I suspect that PET/CT will become the scanning tool of choice in the future. It shows everything the CT does, plus a bit more. Medical technology is a moving target, & always should be.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• surfhb
    replied
    So great to hear the good news.
    Last edited by surfhb; 03-24-19, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied
    Hi to everyone.

Update of my son after RPLND, pathology report came back with 1 from 57 lymph nodes confirmed Teratoma.But size is not 1.1cm, it is 2.8cm. Further treatment doesn’t need. Abdomen distention is still there, Ultrasound showed some fluid is inside, but the doctor said it is normal after RPLND, it will last another 7-10days. Let's see.

Now my son is in remission and next follow up is in August.

I feel a little bit relax now, hope everyone here can also have a nice weekend!

BRs

Amy, Ran’s Mom

Leave a comment:

• biwi
    replied
    Glad the surgery went OK. I know it is relatively common to have internal lymph fluid leakage after RPLND, and they will know how to handle it. One of the perks of going to a high volume center.

Hmm, We stayed at candlewood and it was part of the procare network then, but that was in 2016, and maybe they were not very full.

Yeah, they definitely get you up and moving quickly, no sitting around. I remember the pain was definitely the worst in the first 3-5 days, after that is rapidly got better.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Bi
    replied
    Hi biwi, thank you very much for your asking.

Right now we are staying in candlewood suites. We are five days after RPLND, Dr.Cary said he the surgery went very well, he could spared left and right both nerves. Currently we don’t have pathology report, we will visit Dr. Cary in Friday.

The pain is bad but ok, but my son now is suffering abdomen distention, we don’t know what is the reason, we have to discuss it in Friday.

The hotel is very near to IU, but they said they don’t have rooms for precarenet people, anyway we booked it from their website, but 30 dollars more every day....

I am happy with the Dr. Cary, he is a very professional urologist, after his surgery 18hours, my son already walked in the room and passed wind , even bowl moved in 24 hours. Amazing.

I will update once I got pathology report!

Thanks again!

Amy, Ran’s Mom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Fatal error: Uncaught Database error in vBulletin 5.1.3: [Showing truncated query, original length: 3216] [First 500 chars] Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM cacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_19_lvl3data','node_19_lvl1data','channelperms_1','node_316774_lvl1data','node_13_lvl1data','node_2_lvl3data','node_13_lvl3data','node_316774_lvl3data','vB_UserPerms35444','vBUserRep_35444','vBProfileFields','vBAtchmnts_316774','vb_readperms','getSearchResults_8d4cc58cf841151405f5c3f432814b55','vBAtchmnts_317507','vBAtchmnts_317505','vBAtchmnts_317504','vBAtchmnts_317503','vBAtchmnts_317502','vBAtchmnts_317500','vBA [Last 500 chars] _13_0:e2d0574d1c720695035200b754b4159d','vbnodetext317462_13_0:e2d0574d1c720695035200b754b4159d','vbnodetext_pre_317462_13_0:e2d0574d1c720695035200b754b4159d','vbnodetext317459_13_0:e2d0574d1c720695035200b754b4159d','vbnodetext_pre_317459_13_0:e2d0574d1c720695035200b754b4159d','vbnodetext317413_13_0:e2d0574d1c720695035200b754b4159d','vbnodetext_pre_317413_13_0:e2d0574d1c72069503 in /home/tccancer/public_html/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1253