X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FBCoachC
    • Oct 2019

Starting 3X BEP

I will be beginning 3X BEP next Monday. As many on here have stated, it has been a crazy few weeks already. I felt a lump/swelling for a week after what I thought was an injury. After a visit to an urgent care facility on 10/1/19 I had a urologist appointment on 10/2 and left I/O on 10/3. Scans have indicated 3 enlarged lymph nodes (largest 1.8cm) and 2 lung nodules, which they can't be sure are cancer. The CT scan report stated that the nodules should be checked with a follow up CT in 12 months and the urologist didn't seem to think they were significant. The oncologist seems to disagree. The tumor type (I don't have the pathology report in front of me) in 85% Embryonal Carcinoma, with smaller amounts of teratoma and Yolk Sac. My HCG went from 500 to 765 after I/O and my AFP normalized.

As I've read through the forum, it seems that it is impossible to predict chemo side effects, so I know I'm going to have to wait and see on that. I'm a HS special education teacher as well as a HS football coach, I know both of those will need to be put on hold for a couple months. As a first year head coach, it has been a challenge to take a step back. My biggest question is: does the presence of teratoma make it more likely that I will require a RPLND after the chemo? The Oncologist stated is wasn't an option prior to chemo, as I would've pushed to try that route if it was an option.
  • MTS1994
    • Jul 2017

With the rising tumor markers it does seem chemo is the right option. I had some Teratoma in my pathology with one slightly enlarged lymph node and had no additional treatment post 3x BEP.

I am a little over 2 years post chemo and have been all clear ever since. Chemo sucks but you will get through it. Try to be active when you can I promise it will help with your recovery. I unfortunately wasn’t very active during chemo so I think that hurt my recovery time..

All the best,, you will get through it!!

Comment

• biwi
      • Jun 2015

Small parts of teratoma in the pathology with spread isn't really an indicator that the spread is teratoma from what I have seen. Teratoma is one of the slowest to spread, usually the other types are what spreads first.

Yeah, coaching will be tough, in the first two rounds you might be able to participate some on the second off week, but you still have to worry about the risk of germs and such, so it might be better to just keep your distance for some time. Your oncologist should be able to make some recommendations here.
      6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
      6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
      7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
      7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
      10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
      10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
      4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
      4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
      10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
      4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• FBCoachC
        • Oct 2019

Thank you for all of the support. Week 1 has gone pretty much as expected. Day 1 wasn't bad at all, however the fatigue has gotten worse each day. We have our last football game tomorrow night, however I will need to watch from home as the weather is supposed to be below freezing with rain/snow. Probably not the best place to be at this point.

Any input of what to expect from the Bleo only weekend next week?

Comment

• Davepet
          • Mar 2010

Many seem to find the bleo only weeks pretty easy.I actually felt better after bleo, probably due to the steroid meds they give. One thing to br aware of is what is commonly called "shake & bake", basically a fever along with the shakes. It dosn't seem to happen to everyone or even every time. I had it once & they gave me a tylenol before treatment after that & it never happened again.
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• FBCoachC
            • Oct 2019

Bleo day went well. Was able to go out to lunch with my mom after (white counts still normal) then took a few hour nap when I got home. Feel 100% normal now, wide awake from nap/steroid I assume. Should I plan on feeling fairly well all week or will the fatigue come back once the steroid wears off?

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

I recall that feeling good the day of bleo, & a bit of a backslide after, but overall, the further I got from the long week, the better I felt, until the next long week. However for me, the fatigue got worse, and lasted longer with each 3 week cycle.

Comment

• biwi
                • Jun 2015

My experience was like Dave's. The off weeks of the first round were a piece of cake for me. Then each round after was worse. The 4th round took a good 2-3 weeks before I wasn't nauseated all the time and could eat normal food again. It took me probably 2-3 months to get back to normal energy levels after that.
                6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• FBCoachC
                  • Oct 2019

Thanks guys. Can still feel the fatigue, but its bearable for sure. Other than some gastrointestinal issues last night, probably because spicy food was the only thing that could cut through the metallic taste over the weekend, this week has been pretty easy. I'd say I feel 85%. I'm hoping the mental landmark of getting through the 2nd long week will make bearing the increased symptoms easier, when that time comes.

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
                    • Dec 2016

Great to hear you're doing well! I found the first round was the hardest - from then on, you know exactly what to expect!
                    July 2016 - Left I/O
                    December 2016 - BEPx3
                    All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
                    My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• FBCoachC
                      • Oct 2019

Has anyone had their treatments land during the holiday? By a stroke of luck, my 2nd and 3rd long weeks will land on Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks. For round 2, my oncologist's plan in to give treatment 1-3 M--W then 4-5 M-T of the next week. I've researched other options, but every infusion center in my area seems to be closed for the holiday T and F. My question is: should I still be receiving the bleo on the 2nd Monday? As of now, they are not planning on doing so. Instead, I will continue the typical Monday only schedule for the succeeding 2 weeks, thus making the cycle 4 weeks. Being that I'm sure the plan for Christmas will be similar, adding 2 weeks to the complete treatment time is frustrating to me.

Comment

• Davepet
                        • Mar 2010

Afraid Christmas week is going to be even more difficult as Christmas day is on Wednesday. Maybe they could do M, Tu, Th, F, S?

Comment

Working...
                        X