Is testicular microlithiasis (calcifications) linked to TC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ByeByeMrRighty
    • Oct 2017

Is testicular microlithiasis (calcifications) linked to TC?

I was diagnosed and cured from TC 5 years ago. "Numerous calcifications" were seen at the time on ultrasound.

My remaining testicle has "a cluster of calcifications measuring 0.3 x 0.2 x 0.2 cm."
    Varicocele of the veins, measuring up to 0.4 cm, as well.

Does the science show a link? Cheers in advance.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    • Apr 2008

In the past, there were thoughts that microlithiasis was related to testicular cancer, perhaps even a precursor, for lack of a better term. However, I believe this is old thinking and that newer data indicated that they are often in association with each other, but not related or a precursor.

Thus, microlithasis is not risk factor for testicular cancer but given your past history with the disease I think most doctors would say monthly self-exams are important and some may be cautious and just watch the other testicle via ultrasound perhaps on a yearly basis in those at high risk for TC.

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• ByeByeMrRighty
      • Oct 2017

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate you putting it into perspective for me. It's been years since I've posted on the forums, but I will always remember you giving me thoughtful, evidence-based answers. Thanks for everything.

My research confirms your conclusion. From Hopskins Medicine:

"Microlithiasis, or small calcifications (stones) in the testicle found on ultrasound, was once believed to be a risk factor for testicular cancer. Microlithiasis is not a risk factor for testicular cancer for most men; however, if one of the other risk factors (above) exists, microlithiasis may indicate a higher risk of cancer and warrants monthly testicular self-examination and routine follow-up with a physician.​"

Having been diagnosed with TC, is, of course, a risk risk factor. My testicle that was removed had "numerous calcifications;" makes me nervous that my healthy testicle has them too. Oh well, what can you do. There's only like a 1-2% chance of bilateral anyways.

It looks like about 5% of the general male population have microlithiasis. I'd be curious to know what percent of people diagnosed with TC also had microlithiasis on ultrasound. I found one study that says: "microcalcifications do exist in roughly 50% of germ cell tumors," from 2007.

Testicular microlithiasis is common and while microcalcifications do exist in roughly 50% of germ cell tumors the majority of men with testicular microlithiasis will not develop testicular cancer. Increased emphasis on testicular examination is the recommended follow up for men identified with testi …

Cheers
      Last edited by ByeByeMrRighty; 11-07-22, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        • Apr 2008

Thanks for your kind words.

I think that microlithiasis and testicular cancer often occur together but microlithiasis is not a cause or a precursor of testis cancer.

Unlike germ cell neoplasia in situ (GCNIS) that does seem to develop into testis cancer in 50% of patients within 5 years.

Mike
        Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
        06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
        Surveillance...
        Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
        6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Working...
        X