X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I wasn't a member, but glad to have a community

This cancer is almost silent in my life, I only know of one person that has gone through it, and that was 30 years ago. So it's nice to see other people's stories and know I'm not alone in this.

I'm 30 and white as most seem to be for whatever reason. Thought I had an injury or maybe some torsion but there wasn't much pain. Swelling got bad enough that I finally went to get checked. Referred to an ultrasound and my doctor called me as I was leaving the hospital asking if I would come in today. Instant heart sink as that means the U/S tech called my doctor.

Diagnosed on a Thursday, weekend of trying to understand and accept the diagnosis as I read every post on this forum and every medical journal I could find with relevant information. Met with oncologist/urologist Dr Rendon on Monday. Radical orchiectomy less than 24 hours later. CT scan as soon as I was mobile enough (Friday). Craziest week of my life, hands down. And now I play the waiting game until February 5th for pathology and post op blood work. Dr Rendon seems to be great, very good surgeon as well. I'm also very impressed with how quickly the health care system pushed me through I must say. It's nice to have people in your corner when you need them.

I'm married with a 11 month old son.

Hoping I can learn from others here and spread awareness and reduce what I'd call the young male invincibility complex within the people in my life. I know if it wasn't for my wife I'd probably still be telling myself it's just hydrocele or normal in some way.

January 2nd 2020 U/S confirmed cancer in swollen testicle
    January 2nd afp 3, bhcg 34, ldh 175
    January 7th left radical orchiectomy
    January 10th CT scan looks clear to tech, pending review of urologist/oncologist

Currently awaiting pathology and post surgery blood work. Consult on February 5th. CANNOT WAIT.
    Last edited by Daniel1; 01-20-20, 07:44 PM.

The waiting game is so hard. We found out on December 28th, he had surgery January 3rd. We got pathology at the beginning of February. I just remember feeling like the floor fell out from underneath me and I just wanted to go back and worry about normal stuff, like my kids going back to school after Christmas break. I was walking around in a fog. He had a similar experience to you, ended up being stage 1a, under surveillance. It's been 2 years for us. It's amazing how quickly you pick up your old routine. We never told our kids. It's terrifying. We all know how you feel. And when you have small kids and it feels like your future with them is threatened it's the absolute worst. We ended up getting pregnant 6 months after his surgery, totally unplanned. I was set on being done, especially if he had to have chemo I had come to terms with it. Life is crazy. I hope you get the best news possible.

Comment

I also wanted to add--my husband openly talks about it to people all the time. It's absolutely imperative to spread awareness. He's been in the Army 14 years. So many veterans who served overseas from 2003 to 2012 have ended up with testicular cancer. One of his radiology techs told him he knew almost 10 people who served who had TC and were being seen by him for scans.

Comment

Hi Daniel,
        Good luck with waiting for your results - the waiting can be very hard on a person.
        As far as breaking through young men's invincibility - I found that when I shared my story as it unfolded on social media, I got a lot of very warm and helpful feedback.
        Painless lump 5/18/2017
        Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
        Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
        No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Daniel. Sorry you need to be here. I can't help but wonder at a one month delay in getting the path report seems like it was only a week or so for me. In any event plese keep us posted when you learn more.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

sorry for the long ramble but this is ruining my life .. bout four months ago I felt a slight twinge in my sack ...checked both my nuts and sensed nothing amiss ...then as fate would have it I saw a documentary on #testicularcancer and I freaked out and ever since then I’ve been checking my nuts all day every day for four months . now the thing that is worrying me is my left nut ...there’s no lump ...no swelling ..no dull ache ..am just 50% certain that it’s somewhat denser than the right ..or the texture is somewhat tougher...bonier? but other days they’re fine (I think) ..other than that no symptoms ..over the past 4 months it hasn’t gotten bigger and I’ve had no other symptoms .. so my question is after four months would I have had more symptoms.? I’ve got a slight cough and I pulled my back but now I’m convinced I’ve had it ....any help is much appreciated ...I’m out of my mind And everything in my life is suffering through this worry ..even my relationships

Comment

Well that amount of stress and worry will definitely make you have some sort of health issue regardless.

I wouldn't check your nuts every day, you're going to lose your mind. Have you gone to a doctor to have them checked by them? Have you had an ultrasound or blood work?

Chances are you're completely fine, there's nothing that leads me to believe you have testicular cancer. Also if you think you have something and you look hard enough, you'll find symptoms. As soon as I was diagnosed my lower back hurt, my testicle hurt, and I was coughing. The mind is strong, which is both good and bad.

Go to a doctor if you haven't. If you have maybe go to a different one. Continue checking, but maybe once every few weeks. It'll be easier to notice change that way as well since it won't be gradual every day small change.

Deep breathes! And if you do have it, the freaking out and worry only gets worse. So just focus on relaxing and talking to people and finding ways to deal with the anxiety/stress.

Comment

You are checking WAY too often and the constant handling can actually cause problems. Once a month is all you should check. If you can't do that than go to a doc & get an U/S to put your mind at ease.

Comment

4 week follow up!

Bhcg dropped to under 1, afp and ldh still normal. CT scan showed clear. Pathology showed 95 percent seminoma, 5 percent teratoma isolated to testicle with no evidence of spread to spermatic cord.

Recommended survellience so I go back for more CTs and blood work and xray in 3 months.

I was expecting pure seminoma so that's unfortunate but I'm still happy with this result and consider myself lucky. I appreciate all thoughts and insight into this diagnosis!

Comment

Teratoma is actually a better Dx than seminoma since it isn't technically a cancer, it is slow growing & doesn't tend to metastasize.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel1 View Post
                      4 week follow up!

Bhcg dropped to under 1, afp and ldh still normal. CT scan showed clear. Pathology showed 95 percent seminoma, 5 percent teratoma isolated to testicle with no evidence of spread to spermatic cord.

Recommended survellience so I go back for more CTs and blood work and xray in 3 months.

I was expecting pure seminoma so that's unfortunate but I'm still happy with this result and consider myself lucky. I appreciate all thoughts and insight into this diagnosis!

Great to hear that it was caught at the point where active surveillance was still an option and the vast majority of it was seminoma. For me, I'd be happy with those results.

Mike
                      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                      06.26.06 Left I/O
                      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                      Surveillance...
                      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Glad you were able to handle it at what sounds like a very quick pace. In looking at the dates of your initial hospital visits and orchiectomy, your cancer story followed similar timing to mine. I had thought my groin soreness was a athletic injury (I'm not very athletic and prone to mishaps). It didn't get better after about a month and so I went in for an ultrasound in the beginning of January. Three days later I had orchiectomy and later pathology showed nonseminoa pure embryonal carcinoma.

CT scans shows a dilated lymph node and nothing else, and since a consultation at IU, I will be having surgery to remove the lymph node(s) on Tuesday of this week. Fingers crossed and prayers that this moves me closer to ridding my body of cancer.
                        11/28/2019 - Notice swelling in right testicle
                        01/06/2020 - Diagnosed with cancer; Stage 2 nonseminoa 100% embryonal carcinoma
                        01/08/2020 - Right Radical Orchiectomy
                        02/11/2020 - RPLND surgery at IU; begin surveillance
                        03/01/2020 - Notice slight soreness/discomfort coming from left testicle
                        03/05/2020 - Ultrasound show subtle lesion; surveillance bloodwork/scans clear
                        05/12/2020 - surveillance bloodwork/scans - all clear; ultrasound shows slight growth in lesion on left testicle
                        06/09/2020 - Left Radical Orchiectomy; Stage 1 nonseminoa 100% embryonal carcinoma
                        Currently: Surveillance scans on 08/05/2020

Comment

Quicker the pace the better for me gd1345.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Hopefully that's the last bit of intervention you need!

Comment

Working...
                          X