X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus - and TC?!

Guys, with coronavirus on the rise causing severe pneumonia, does this mean that those of us who went through chemotherapy (in particular with bleomycin which damages the lungs) are at much higher risk from coronavirus?
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    3 years all clear + baby after TC!

Take Your Life Back After Cancer 7 Day Challenge - Sign Up Free
    ---
    Personal advice on the everyday reality of TC - Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    ---
    My book on overcoming key challenges us guys face during cancer - Find Out More
    ---
    Listen to expert opinions and survivor insights - Listen to Simplify Cancer Podcast

Doubtful. Your immune system is what fights these off. If your immune system has recovered after chemo any lingering bleo damage has to do with your ability to respirate not your ability to fight off disease.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

Although yes, if you do get pneumonia from it, there is a chance that it is exacerbated by any bleo damage, true.
      6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
      6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
      7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
      7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
      10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
      10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
      4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
      4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
      10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

Bleo does not *always* cause lung damage. Most of us have gotten through it pretty much unscathed, so no, I would not expect any higher risk from this virus. Still, it's nasty, so avoid contracting if you have a choice.
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

That all makes sense, guys, thanks for that!! Hope we all get through it
          July 2016 - Left I/O
          December 2016 - BEPx3

---
          ---
          ---
          Listen to expert opinions and survivor insights - Listen to Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

I wrote to Dr Einhorn on this exact issue and he's NOT concerned.

"Testis cancer patients postchemo are normal immunologically and have same risk as age matched cases. Virtually all patients getting bleo, especially just BEP X 3 , will have no pulmonary issues. I would be more concerned with a 4 th course of EP and an extra week of low white blood counts." - Dr Einhorn

On the flip side of that, key words are "virtually all" and "especially just BEPx3". I would interpret that to mean that there might be some sporadic cases of those that had BEPx4 especially with heavy lung involvement that might have a risk level beyond that of the general population and their respective age groups with respect to COVID19. I also talked to a urological oncologist at NIH whose speciality is not testicular cancer, and they urged patients that have had exposure to bleomycin to assume a higher risk out of an abundance of caution, due to all of the unknowns with this virus.

Hope this helps. I'm trying to get a blog out about all of this, but am scrambling this week moving my engineering lab to my home office, because my company wants everybody working form home unless they absolutely cannot. Massive pain with all of my lab equipment that I need, but I'd rather be home.

StevePake.com | @K2xxSteve on Gab
            (Social Media with actual privacy, cancer support groups, encrypted secure chat & more)

Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
            My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
            C
            ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Thank you for sharing that, Steve!! This is certainly better news for us. Here is to staying safe!!
              July 2016 - Left I/O
              December 2016 - BEPx3

---
              ---
              ---

Comment

Hey guys,

Decided to check the forum regarding exposure to covid-19. I definitely had some lung issues due to bleomycin,so much so that i missed my last two infusion for bepx3 out of precaution. I will complete one year of remission in a few days, unofficially. Officially, it'll be in May. I've recovered smoothly thus far although that anxiety does tend to pop up from time to time.

I happened to come across this story about someone being exposed to covid-19 and then passing. He was a tc survivor. Here's the link: https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/19/34-ye...world-florida/. There could be more to this but figured I'd share it.

I appreciate those that continue to add resources and information about how this virus can possibly affect tc survivors.

Stay safe.
                12/14/2018- initial diagnosis cancer left testis
                12/18/2018-informed that it spread to my lower back
                12/27/2018- i/o left testis
                01/06/2019- pure Seminoma pathology (hcg level dropped from 150 to 75)
                1/08/2019-Oncologist recommends 3xBEP
                2/4/2019-Treatment begins
                4/1/2019-last day of treatment
                6/1/2019-hope to be in remission

Comment

Not much to go on there. History of asthma and bronchitis.... surgery for TC but any treatments? Wouldn't read into these things too much and would just keep your heads down and focused on day to day needs, and maintaining best practices to avoid it. The finger that I've had a bad habit of chewing on is actually healing for the first time in years!!
                  StevePake.com | @K2xxSteve on Gab
                  (Social Media with actual privacy, cancer support groups, encrypted secure chat & more)

Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
                  My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
                  C
                  ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Agree, Steve - and surgery for TC could be I/O which is not relevant...

Goodday, good to hear your recovery is going well! This pandemic is the last thing we need when it comes to worry, but the words of Dr Einhorn who is the top expert in the world on TC are very encouraging!!

Hope is our greatest shield from fear. Stay safe, steady and sane in this crazy time! I'm working from home and got an updated exercise routine from my exercise physiologist...
                    July 2016 - Left I/O
                    December 2016 - BEPx3

---
                    ---
                    ---

Comment

I am in the same boat. I finished 3xBEP in March of 2018. As a kid, as well, I had asthma but largely outgrew that and have not had any symptoms for the need of an inhaler in over 10 years. I am not skinny by any stretch of the imagination, but I walk almost daily, sometimes run, and ride my bike, so I like to think I am in pretty decent shape (more so than the general population at least).

I had this exact conversation, particularly of the bleo, with my treating oncologist a few weeks ago, and he tried to put me at ease saying that my lung functions looked fine in all my tests and imaging, and that I am still more of a case of giving it to someone who could get sick with it versus it doing me in.

That said, I found this article last night right before I turned out the lights and I honestly could not sleep at all. I am supposed to go ride my bike today with a friend (at a distance, as I am a proponent of social distancing and then some) and I enjoy spending time outside so much (helps combat the anxieties we normally face). The idea of just holding up in my apartment by myself for who-knows-how-long is just scary to me.
                      Last edited by aerobadger; 03-20-20, 02:00 PM.
                      11.09.15: Mass found in right testicle
                      11.13.15: Right I/O
                      Late Nov. 2015: Stage I seminoma: Active surveillance
                      12.08.17: Blood work indicated possible relapse (7.0 hCG, 2.0 AFP, 325 LDH)
                      Mid-Dec. 2017: PET sees 5.9 x 5.3 x 7.9 cm lymph node in pelvis, right around my I/O incision, suspected seminoma IIc relapse
                      January 2018: Port installed, 3xBEP started
                      March 2018: 3xBEP finished, post-chemo blood work (undectable hCG, 2.1 AFP, 187 LDH)
                      May 2018: First post-chemo imaging planned

http://www.instagram.com/joshrunsaway

Comment

The strain on the healthcare system is another issue that will affect people. In Switzerland, my next surveillance appointment is cancelled.

Comment

My apologies for bringing upon the anxiety. These are some strange and hectic times.

What are folks doing to pass the time? I am in California and are in shelter-in-place until April 19. I do like the fact that I can enjoy this time with my son.
                          12/14/2018- initial diagnosis cancer left testis
                          12/18/2018-informed that it spread to my lower back
                          12/27/2018- i/o left testis
                          01/06/2019- pure Seminoma pathology (hcg level dropped from 150 to 75)
                          1/08/2019-Oncologist recommends 3xBEP
                          2/4/2019-Treatment begins
                          4/1/2019-last day of treatment
                          6/1/2019-hope to be in remission

Comment

Also in California & am unconcerned about the whole "shelter in place" thing. We need to live our lives. & be careful always but they are getting ridiculous IMHO.
                            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

aerobadger, I know it's hard, one thing that helps me is scheduling regular video chats with three of my friends. This way, you are talking to each other (in our case, weekly) and that helps me a lot now!

RepDrop, sorry to hear it's stressful over in Switzerland! It hasn't hit us as yet here in Australia... Is the appointment cancelled because it's hard to do tests?

Goodday, we're not in full down lockdown mode yet, but still at home for vast majority of the time. Playing with my oldest a lot (he's 6) - he's keeping a diary, we are playing chase in the backyard, reading online comics. Definitely trying to stay away from the news - only 15 minutes a day on Reddit. And I decided to write a new book!! What about you?
                              July 2016 - Left I/O
                              December 2016 - BEPx3

---
                              ---
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X