X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double prosthesis problem

This is my first post here, thank you for viewing.

Last Thursday I had my second orchiectomy along with double prostheses. Recovery is going great, however, the prostheses are giving me some discomfort. I have read that discomfort is normal. Post-Op my Urologist/Surgeon told my wife that a scrotal incision had not been necessary, that he was able to insert both prosthesis through the incision for the left orchiectomy. As they sit right now, they seem to be stacked on top of each other on the left side of the scrotum.

I realize that these may be difficult questions to answer for anyone but a Urologist or a surgeon. I will be questioning my Urologist about this issue in my follow up appointment this Thursday and I just want some second opinions or anyone else's similar experience.

Is it possible to install two prosthesis from one side? Might my Urologist tell me that this is standard procedure and the left side of my scrotum will expand to accommodate both prosthesis? Can this be corrected without another incision?

I trust my Urologist very much in these matters as he performed my first Orchiectomy 10 years ago and also my RPLND.

Mate with mt second TC I was upgraded with two new guys and that was done via the IO incisions on both sides of the abdomen (its not normal to do anything via the scrotum as it can have healing problems). Form my understanding the Prosthesis are normally applied from the IO site related to the side of the body they belong to, but they do develop new procedures all the time.

It will be normal for the Prosthesis to be tight to the body and can take a couple of months for them to "relax", there is a common recommendation to massage them downwards from time to time.

They will have an anchor to stop them from going back into the abdo. It does not seem right that they feel on top of each other mine were clearly on their defined sides.
    >>>>>>>>>
    TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
    TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Thank you for the reply, Kiwi.

I do not appear to have an anchor for my Prostheses and definitely only the one incision on the left. It will be interesting hearing the explanation from the doctor. I am hoping this has been successfully attempted before or can be easy corrected without another surgery.

Comment

Doctor insists that everything looks perfectly normal and that he was able to open the scrotal septum to pass one of the prosthesis to the other side and then close it. I now have some bad chafing on my leg from the scrotum rubbing against the left side. I am going to get a second opinion.

Comment

I can tell you that I had my prosthetics place several months after my I/O surgery and they went thru the scrotum. Mine gave me a fit for several months afterwards and did not look or feel right. But I figured it was better than having an empty change purse. I can tell you that 2 yrs later I am used to them and they look better than before. My right one sits a little higher than the left one. I notice the difference, but my wife says they look normal to her. She did say it took some getting used too seeing me with 2 instead of seeing the one that I had before cancer took my remaining boy.
          Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
          Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
          Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
          Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
          April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
          May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
          August 7th 2012- BEP complete
          April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
          May 2013 RPLND
          Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
          Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
          Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
          Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
          Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan

Comment

Just a follow up...

2nd doc explained how the prostheses could be installed during orchiectomy, but said that he would never do both surgeries at the same time. The scrotum is pulled through the incision while removing the testicle. This allows the doc to make an incision in the scrotal septum to pass one of the implants through. The septum is then stitched up. He explained that this process is very difficult because the scrotum is everted and confirmed that my implants are indeed on both sides and not anchored. I am hoping, with time, the one implant will drop somemore. The chafing against my leg and penis feels like pins and needles. They still sit one on top of the other, clearly on one side of the raphe.

Comment

That is really not the normal approach - there is generally avoidance of any cutting of the scrotum due to repair difficulties - going in the same way as the original ones were removed in the IO is the Norm. Also with my Second IO at the same time I had x2 new guys put in the new home.
              >>>>>>>>>
              TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

You are correct about the placement, however they really did not give me a chance to have them put in during the I/O. Literally I saw the doctor at 7am as a favor done for my ex wife and by 10am I was on the operating table and the doctor postponed his trip to do the surgery. It went from zero to 100mph that quick for me so the only real option I had was to have them placed later.
                Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
                Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
                Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
                Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
                April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
                May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
                August 7th 2012- BEP complete
                April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
                May 2013 RPLND
                Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
                Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
                Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
                Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
                Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
                Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan

Comment

I haven't been here in a long time (4 years) but I wanted to say that mine had some sort of Anchoring. One broke shortly after I was... healed up and active. I felt like a piano string breaking. (And my SO could hear or feel it?) Anyhow mine are a size that makes it pretty hard to imagine them going back up into me. Which (TMI) I can't say for the originals.

Comment

yes there is an anchor to shop them going up into the too high but that also stops them dropping when it Hot! Also weather its with the IO or latter the norm is to go in the IO way as the Scrotum can have probs with repair.
                    >>>>>>>>>

Comment

Working...
                    X