X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Some Answers and Some Guidance

Hi. I was diagnosed on April 20, 2015 with TC. I had surgery to remove my right testicle on April 24th. So why am I posting this in this group? I was born with only one testicle. My doctor thinks the second one may have been undescended and eventually died due to a lack of blood flow. Regardless, I'm now find myself testicle-less. I have chemo tentatively scheduled to start in June--two rounds of BEP. I'm thankful that my bloodwork has come back clean and that I am at stage 1B. My issues right now are all emotional and mental. I'm worried about testosterone replacement therapy. I've tried talking to wife about my concerns, but I just don't think she gets it, for obvious reasons. Maybe someone on this forum can help me with these questions:

1. How long after you started on testosterone did it take for you to feel "normal" again as far as emotionally? Pre-surgery I was pretty laid back, a very cheerful morning person. Not so now.
    2. How long did it for things to start working normally again physically? I've read enough to know that once the testosterone therapy is working a normal sex life is very possible. I've also read that it can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months for that function to return.

I realize that everyone is different, so I can't base my treatment and results on what your experiences. And I also realize I've got chemo to get through as well. I am just looking for a little guidance and some peace of mind that one day I may be my normal pre-cancer self again.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 05-16-15, 09:02 PM.

I went two weeks after my second I/O without TRT, & that was pure hell after the first few days (for the record, hot flashes are NOT something to make fun of). It took less than a week of TRT to start feeling pretty normal. What type of T replacement are you using?

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I started TRT the day after my second I/O and noticed *no* degradation in normality.

Jan 2009: RHS (Seminoma) & RT
      Mar 2010: LHS (Embryonal Carcinoma)
      Sep 2010: Relapse & 3 x BEP
      Mar 2015: Five years "nut free"
      http://doublezeroami.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
        I went two weeks after my second I/O without TRT, & that was pure hell after the first few days (for the record, hot flashes are NOT something to make fun of). It took less than a week of TRT to start feeling pretty normal. What type of T replacement are you using?

Dave
        I saw my endocrinologist today and he started me on biweekly injections. I go back to see him in 6 weeks after my third injection and some blood work. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think to ask questions about the details of the T. We talked about patches and gels, but he suggested the injections to start with. Any preferences in the type of T? Any specific questions that I should note to ask the doc? Thanks for the replies! It helps to have someone to talk to about these things.

Comment

I have only used the gels,but I have used 4 different types: Testim 1%, Androgel 1%, Androgel 1.65%, & now a generic testosterone than mimics Androgel 1%. The Androgel 1% seemed to work best for me in term of how felt. Apparently it is no longer made. I have not been on the generic long enough to say for sure, but early indications are tht it may work as well as the Adrogel 1%.

As questions for the doc occur to you, write them down & take the list with you along with a pen to record the answers. Better yet, take someone else to take notes, if possible.

Dave

Comment

I am halfway through my chemo (BEP), and will hopefully be starting round 2 on Monday. That all depends on the lab results. I've been neutropenic for a few days but have been on antibiotics and have received three injections to boost my white blood cells production. I've been taking injections bi-weekly since the end of May. I see the endocrinologist at the end of July for follow up and adjustments. I've been pretty happy with the injections. I noticed immediate mental/emotional improvement and physically, I feel like my old self. Chemo sucks, but as I said, I'm halfway done so I'm trying to be positive on that front.

Comment

Thanks for the update! The experts say do ^NOT^delay chemo because of low white count, so do not let them try.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X