Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

TC2 Chemo

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TC2 Chemo

    There is a good chance my left testicle has cancer.

    TC Forum members, after getting your other ball removed, did you get chemo?

  • #2
    It will depend on the staging. As you might expect, quite a lot of second cancers are picked up relatively quickly (once bitten, twice shy), so in many cases they're stage 1 and surveillance or adjuvant chemo are sufficient.

    Sorry to hear your news - do you have any other details for us?

    - T
    30 Jul 14: Discovered lump
    31 Jul 14: GP referral to specialist
    4 Aug 14: Clinical diagnosis of tumour, blood samples taken, CT scans, USS (confirming ~2cm tumour)
    8 Aug 14: Left radical orchidectomy (plus test results back: CT normal, no mets; blood markers slightly elevated: AFP 14.16, HCG 4.9, LDH 149)
    29 Aug 14: Pathology results: Stage 1A Mixed Non-Seminomatous Germ Cell Tumour (composition: Yolk-sac Tumour and Mature Teratoma)

    24 Sep 14: Started precautionary adjuvant 1xBEP
    23 Oct 14: All clear; on surveillance


    • #3
      Not yet. My testicle has been swelled and heavy feeling for almost two weeks. My employer just changed our insurance, so I need to go over which places are in network. I'm calling the Urologist Monday.


      • #4
        I did get chemo after my second I/O, but I had been stupid & knew I needed to see the doc, but failed to do so soon enough.

        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP


        • #5
          Dave, how long did you wait?

          The first time I had TC, I felt a dull pain for a day or two, like I was blue balled. I can't remember for certain, it has been 6 years, but a few months later it was hard as a rock. A doctor that I knew put me on antibiotics thinking I had a STD. I finally went to another urologist months later who immediately sent me for a sonogram then had me on an operating table 4 days later. Fast forward one year, which is 2011 I had cancer again which resulted in 3 rounds of BEP. Needless to say that was not fun.

          About three weeks ago now, I had a dull pain in my remaining testicle for a day or two. It is still swollen and heavy feeling. It is not hard as a rock like last time, but I think I may have not noticed the swollen stage the first time around.

          Did I wait too long already?


          • #6
            Originally posted by inition View Post
            Did I wait too long already?
            Honestly, thinking about that question doesn't help or matter, you cannot change the past. If you are concerned, do what you can, take current action and go to the doc. End of story.
            6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
            6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
            7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
            7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
            10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
            10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
            4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
            4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
            9/27/2018 all clears up to this date!


            • #7
              inition, I waited about a year from when I first felt something was wrong. I ended up with a lymph node swollen & 3xBEP instead of surveillance, but still here going on 7 years later to talk about it.It certainly was about the stupidest thing I've ever done, but I survived, I don't recommend following in my footsteps, it could easily have turned out much worse.Get to you doc now, don't wait.

              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP


              • #8
                Thanks for the responses everyone! You definitely kept me from procrastinating any more.

                At first I called my original doctor. Dr Banno was great. He cut my bill in half and let me make small monthly payments. The I/O was performed flawlessly. It was 2010, I had no insurance and I wasn't very good about making payments. After I drained my checking account, I stopped paying and was eventually sent to collections. Dr Banno cut the remainder of my bill in half again so I could pay my bills and avoid court.

                I called his office last week and explained my situation. The person on the phone said it has been a while since I visited and I needed to call new patients. I called about five times before I called the office again and said I couldn't get through to new patients. She explained the other urology place in town shut down and they are getting tons of calls. I'm bummed because I was hoping I could make up for some of what I shorted him. I'm sure I'll be a life long patient to some doctor.

                I called another doctors office and they had much more urgency. The nurse took about 20 pictures of a bright white spec. My estimate is between 2 and 3 mm but I didn't ask the nurse. I'm sure my new doctor will call later today or tomorrow.


                • #9
                  Dr says it is calcification. What a relief!

                  He talked me into getting another sono and a CT in three months. Probably unnecessary, but it sounds like a good idea.