Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fearful of second inguinal orchiectomy

Hi friends,

In July of 2014, I had a right inguinal orchiectomy because my right testicle had atrophied and all the normal cells weren't found (testicle had retracted into the inguinal canal after hernia surgery and was causing pain). I couldn't tell you the exact pathology because it didn't make sense to me at the time, something about sertoli nodules, but I could be wrong - I tried to repress that memory. I felt better after surgery and once I healed I got back to my normal life (cycling, hiking, etc).

I have a yearly appointment with my urologist and I went last week, he ordered an ultrasound on the left testicle since I hadn't had one since March 2015.

Results came back and a hypoechoic focus was found measuring 0.2x0.2x0.2cm. This was found near the mediastinum. I had major anxiety for a week while waiting for my follow up. Ruined my 24th birthday because I just didn't want to believe it was happening to me.

I just met with my urologist for a second follow up and am getting a second opinion next week. In this past week, the anxiety took over, and I went to a small clinic near my apartment to get blood work done. I asked them to check normal panels, testicular tumor markers, and testosterone / free testosterone.

It was really good I went to get blood done because today my urologist asked for those markers! As an aside I think the anxiety lowered my testosterone because I had a total level of 355 (this was at 5:30pm at night). This does seem low for someone my age comparatively, but I can still grow a patchy beard and have some muscle definition. Free testosterone was 66.08 pg/ml.

Nevertheless, I had the results for him and AFP (4.6 ng/ml) , HCG were normal (<0.1 mIu/ml).

He said for right now, the best thing we can do is schedule an ultrasound in 6 weeks, see if there is any growth. If there isn't, it's likely a benign calcium deposit, if there is, we may need to have a different conversation and discuss surgery.

I am scared. I am only 24, to lose both testicles would be devastating at my age. My urologist told me to live my life normally. He said to exercise as much as I want, no worries.

So that's where I am at, friends. If anyone is in the NYC area, it would be amazing to meet up and have a support system.

I have a trip planned in early january to exercise / hike/ cycle on the west coast. I'm nervous, but I should go and just live my life like the urologist said, right?

Just wanted to vent here. Thank you for listening.
    Last edited by Doctorje24; 12-23-16, 01:14 PM. Reason: Edited to add in lab results.

Originally posted by Doctorje24 View Post
    I am scared. I am only 24, to lose both testicles would be devastating at my age. My urologist told me to live my life normally.
    Actually, the fear of losing both is what is most devastating, the reality is, you would adapt if that was necessary, just like you did the first time. Thankfully, it does not look necessary at the moment.

Originally posted by Doctorje24 View Post
    I have a trip planned in early january to exercise / hike/ cycle on the west coast. I'm nervous, but I should go and just live my life like the urologist said, right?.
    Go enjoy your trip!

Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Yeah, I was noballin at the age of 32, life has not really changed, other than needing IVF to have a 2nd child. On that topic, it might be worthwhile to bank sperm if you are able, its good peace of mind if you only have one and are suspicious of it and ever would like children of your own down the road.
      6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
      6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
      7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
      7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
      10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
      10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
      4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
      4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
      9/27/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your news. I am in a similar position as well. The doctors believe they have just found a tumor in my only remaining testical (cancer in the first one in 2013) so going through some of the same issues you are mentioning. I live in NYC and am the same age as you. Happy to be a support system if you find you need it. Feel free to message me if that would be helpful.

Joe

Comment

Hi

I had a very similar issue. I had stage 1 seminoma in 2014 when they removed my right testicle. One of my physicians randomly ordered a follow up ultrasound and the found a hypoechoic 2x 5mm region. Tumor markers where normal and the urologist who specializes in cases like this reassured me that most incidental findings of masses turn out to benign. I went about with a partial orchiectomy to remove the small mass and it turned out to in fact be a benign lesion (Leydig Cell Hyperplasia).

Comment

Working...
          X