Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 different cancer types, 5 years apart, suggestions for treatment

Greetings 2 timers, In
    10/2013 I had left I/O, seminoma, stage1, chose radiation therapy.
    9/2018, right I/O, stage 1A, non seminoma, Specimen Laterality: Right Tumor Size: 1.6 x 1.5 cm Histologic Type: Mixed germ cell tumor with focus of mature teratoma Microscopically, the tumor demonstrates approximately 60% yolk-sac tumor, 30% embryonal cell carcinoma, and 10% mature teratoma. T1aNXmX

I don't fit into the cancer data base to spit out a treatment plan because of the different cancer types, and the 2nd TC. I am in the Black Hills VA system and neither the urologist or oncologist has even seen a 2XTC. no markers in the blood serum work, nothing on the CT, I am being offered surveillance or 1 round of BEP. I dug through the forums and don't see many that had different cancer types in the 2X thread. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rarity; 10-10-18, 03:15 PM.

Which VA region are you in. The VA does have some doctors with pretty good tc experience. If you dont feel comfortable with your VA docs you can ask them to fee base you out to the oncologist of your choice
    So to be clear you had pure seminona 5 yrs ago and did radation. Now you have mixed cell or other way around.
    If its mixed 2nd time around it is considered a seperate cancer and to my understanding you are staged and treated based on that alone. Seeing that you did RT the first time, you may want to consider chemo option this time around. The Indiana VA is co located with Dr Einhorn and his doctors. So if you are seen there it will be DR Einhorn running the show from the back ground. That and tell you VA docs to get off their lazy butts and contsct dr E's office.
    The shear lazyness of the VA staff drived me crazy everytime i go.
    Last edited by eodtech2001; 10-10-18, 02:59 PM.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Thank you eodtech, for your fellow VA System experience.
      I am in Black Hills VA, left testicle seminoma the first time, 60% yolk-sac tumor, 30% embryonal cell carcinoma, and 10% mature teratoma the second time. right testicle.
      Appreciate the information about the Indiana VA. great suggestion!

Comment

A little closer to home is nashville VA. That is where i had my HDC done. Dr Chin was out of this world helpful. The food is god aweful they serve in room, but with VA. ,vanderbilt and the childrens hospital all connected you can get decent food just not in patient yuck!!!!.
        The Director of the transplant center does not care who she pisses off or how much she has to spend on your treatment. Nor do the transplant doctors. Mission first is them saving your life and they will do everything humanly possible. Dr E had not problem with them doing my HDC. I know that the transplant center and Dr E's office talk on a daily basis because of the number of TC HDC they do for veterans and service members. Indianapolis VA is the same way. Most of the urologist and Oncologist work out of Dr E's complex and are on his team. So again your treatment would be under his and his Doctors guidance at Indy. Plus they have a very nice Vet center and its at no cost for you to stay they if they have an opening. Again i would say you cant go wrong with either place.
        Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
        Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
        Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
        Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
        April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
        May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
        August 7th 2012- BEP complete
        April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
        May 2013 RPLND
        Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
        Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
        Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
        Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
        Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
        Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
        Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
        Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Originally posted by Rarity View Post
          I don't fit into the cancer data base to spit out a treatment plan because of the different cancer types, and the 2nd TC.
          Actually TC2 doesn't change anything, it is a second primary cancer & is treated just like it was a first primary with that tumor type.If you current docs don't get that, than I'd be looking for docs that do.

Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
          X