X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeskiM69
    • May 2014

18 Months All Clear !!!

Wow. I can't believe it's been one and a half years since I completed 3xBEP. It feels like it was so long ago; yet it feels like it was yesterday.

I've pretty much have moved past the whole cancer thing at this point. I still get a tiny bit of anxiety a few days before my surveillance appointments, but nothing near as bad a that first 15 months. However once I arrive at the hospital the anxiety shoots up until my onco breaks the news (good or bad).

One thing I have noticed is that I cannot tolerate strong chemical smells anymore. During the long weeks of chemo, the strong cleaning chemicals they use at the hospital always may me want to puke. Even now when I walk in those doors the smell hits hard and brings flashbacks of me walking in the infusion suite with all the chemo tubes hanging out of my chest (port) while I dragged that dang device that all the chemo bags hung from. I'll never forget some moments of my chemo experience. For some reason I took pride during chemo because I was fighting it and I had more bags hanging from that device than all the other patients there. Kinda like a boyscout counting all his badges. It still makes me proud that I beat this dang thing !

This was the first time in over two years that my CBC was 100% in the normal range. Not a single flag was raised. Too bad I can't say that for my Proteins and Albumin/Globulin. They are always high on me. At my 15 month checkup they ordered a ton of other tests to rule out Multiple Myeloma. Great; another stupid cancer to worry about. In the end it came back as not Myeloma and maybe not even MGUS. It's possible that I am just built this way (always have high Protiens).....my normal ! Only time will tell. I don't let it worry me anymore.

I've learned to get past all the numbers on surveillance anymore. Worrying donesn't solve anything anyways. It only makes you sick.

My LDH continues to go towards the high end of normal, then drops and goes back up and drops and goes back up......I guess that's just normal too !

Anyone who reads this and is struggling with treatments, surveillance, etc just take my advice: Quit worrying. It doesn't get you anywhere. Go Live life to your fullest. enjoy your family, friends, work, coworkers, and all the other people and experiences that make up this world. Cancer can be beat. The physical part of it is the easiest, the mental is the worst. The sooner you push to get back to normal (your old self, plus a few battle scars) the faster you can get past this disease.

I think I'll hang around this site a good long time to help people who come here. However; I may take breaks away from the site sometimes as too much TC thoughts is not a good thing.

I kinda feel like the old person here in some ways. I mean that I have seen a lot of people who were here when I found the site don't post here much anymore. Kinda like I am a "senior" team member now Like there is a new generation of TC'ers who have joined up.

Anyways. I just realized I rambled all over the place.....I guess I was just typing exactly what was in my head.

If I can do 18 months....so can you !

- Matt
    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
    LDH never fully normalized
    Stage: IS
    Watchful Waiting
    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
    May 12th: started 3xBEP
    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
    September 4th: Port removed
    Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !
  • RJKD
    • Jul 2015

Matt, it's awesome to see you doing so well! The mental part is definitely the worst and it's great to see that you've been able to overcome that. Keep up the great progress!
    Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
    7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
    7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
    8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
    8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
    8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
    8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

Comment

• jmb5026
      • Nov 2014

Matt - It is great to see this. Although, I've never met you, you played a great role as a mentor through my treatment. I will never forget that. Its great to see you overcoming the mental battle. I myself am starting to overcome the same obstacles. No one warns you about the mental battle of surviallance and perhaps they shouldnt. It our own battle to fight. My one year is coming up in March, I am nervous and excited at the same time. Again, you were a great "brother' though out my battle, great to see you on the otherside.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        • Apr 2008

Hi Matt,

Great news on the 18 months. You are correct in that the mental part is the toughest. This can be especially true once treatments are over as once all of the physical challenges go to rest the mental ones can pop up. When i was going through things I always remembered a line from a dumb one-hit wonder song called, "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) that was based off a piece by Mary Schmich in the Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mn-column.html The line states, "Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday." In reality cancer may not even yet be my "4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday" so I need to stop worrying about it so I can be prepared for worse things in the future.

As far as being a senior, well we need old guys to help pave the road for future survivors and your work on here has been incredible in doing so. So, never worry about being a senior as the new guys can use the support and I hope you do so for as long as you would like. After all, these forums are building blocks of knowledge and with each new fighter/survivor/caregiver the knowledge grows. I've been on here since 2008 and I certainly know more now that I can pass to others than I did when I joined.

Cheers to the next good check up.

Mike
        Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
        06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
        Surveillance...
        Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
        6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• biwi
          • Jun 2015

Congrats!!
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
          4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

Working...
          X