X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello, I'm new here

I'm glad I found this website, it's hard to discuss this situation with most people. I'm 33 years old and was diagnosed with testicular cancer years ago, did the chemo and had the right one removed. It was a very difficult time in my life and all the drama it put my family through was difficult too. It's been years now and I'm doing better but I was recently diagnosed with a separate issue: diabetes, so now I have to deal with that.

Anyway, I always wanted to open up about my experience with TC but never felt comfortable about it with the people who can not relate. It's just too personal for me to talk about even with my closest friends.

This week I'm having gallbladder surgery, my first surgery since the testicular cancer surgery years ago and I'm currently a nervous wreck.

ZMC257~ Sorry you have not bee able to open up before, but you are now, and it seems like you are on surveillance now for the TC. So sorry about the diabetes, and upcoming gallbladder surgery. Please update us when you are able. Thinking of you!
    17 year old Grant dx 12/21/16
    pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
    pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
    r/o 12/22/16
    Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
    PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
    2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
    BEP x 3 1/27/17
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: pathlogy Teratoma , 3 large masses removed

Comment

Glad you found us! It seems you beat the disease which we love to hear. This group is amazingly supportive and we know what you went through and are going through! Good luck on your surgery let us know how it goes!
      3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT scan clear, AFP was 19. Will retest in a few weeks.

Comment

Thank you guys, yeah I'm fine. During chemo there was a time when it got really bad where everything I ate I threw up, at least it made me skinny lol. Sometimes I feel like I really need a break from all the medical stuff for a while so I can focus on other things going on in life right now. One thing about losing the hair; I used to have thick dark hair before chemo, now my hair grew back thinner and just the other day I found my first noticeable gray hair!

I'll update you both on the (gallbladder) surgery. I know with the diabetes there are higher risks of problems in surgery and so I am stressing thinking of the worse case scenarios. I know I need to do this because it causes me pain and I have been on the waiting list for it for 7 months now.
        Last edited by zmc257; 07-16-17, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I had the gallbladder out this morning! The surgery went smooth and everything went great. I'm already back at home.

Just so you know, my testicular cancer ordeal was in 2004, I'm 13 years all clear now. I have periodic checkups still and everything is fine, of course now I have the diabetes to deal with which came years after the TC (it's alway something right lol).

I have accessed my TC medical records from 2004 all the way from when I met with Dr. Einhorn at his office here in Indiana in 04 all the way up to the removal of the bad right one. It was a very rough time in my life, but 13 years later I can say that it is very treatable if it is found early enough like mine was. I was only 20 years old when I was diagnosed with TC, I had chemo but never had radiation. I did all the treatment here in Indiana while I was in college and working full time, a very stressful time . I'm here as proof it is not the end of the world to the people reading this and going in these difficult times. Just keep the hope.

Comment

Working...
          X