Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 3C to 5 months remission - Whew!

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. This forum has been a helpful resource during my battle, though. I am hopeful that I can be of some encouragement to others fighting the same disease. After an orchiectomy, 4 rounds of VIP, and RPLND, I am now on surveillance. The most recent bloodwork and imaging have shown no signs of return. It was a very tumultuous 5 months. This cancer affected every aspect of life for me: physical, emotional, financial, relational, etc. I can actually say that I am glad for the experience if nothing else to potentially encourage others and to deepen my outlook on life.

I have nothing but excellent things to say about Duke and the folks there. I am blessed to be only an hour away from world-class care. My wife and I learned we were expecting a child a little more than a month from my diagnosis. Now, I am really enjoying my 3-month-old daughter!
    9/28/16 - Diagnosed Stage 3C. 10/10/16 - Left I/O. Pathology pure seminoma but treated as non-seminoma due to aggression and high AFP at 58. Largest tumor at 11x9cm. 10/28/16 - Emergency VIP chemo in hospital and 3 additional in-patient cycles. 2/17 - RPLND and tumor masses all dead. 3/17 Remission and surveillance. 7/17 - First imaging clear.

It can be tough,I removed tumor in march and all clear for now.Great news for getting a child,congrulations.
    I hope so become father in future,good luck.
    Last edited by axe900; 08-05-17, 06:27 AM.
    Pre/o markers - HCG 1332, AFP 30, LDH 235
    pT1 (60% teratoma, 39% embyrional, 1% chorio)
    Post-op markers - HCG 1.2, AFP 2.3, LDH 379
    2XBEP

Comment

What a story!!! Thank you for sharing it. What a miracle to have conceived right before your dx in retrospect!!! Glad you are doing well now.
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.
      Grant is enjoying his senior year in High School Cancer Free!

Comment

Thanks, it certainly is a miracle! It was definitely a bright light through the experience.

Axe, hoping good things for you!
        9/28/16 - Diagnosed Stage 3C. 10/10/16 - Left I/O. Pathology pure seminoma but treated as non-seminoma due to aggression and high AFP at 58. Largest tumor at 11x9cm. 10/28/16 - Emergency VIP chemo in hospital and 3 additional in-patient cycles. 2/17 - RPLND and tumor masses all dead. 3/17 Remission and surveillance. 7/17 - First imaging clear.

Comment

Great news all round. I'm delighted for you. Also very interesting to read about the seminoma acting ... well, not like seminoma!

Comment

HI There
            Congratulations on your all clear, just wondering how come you went with the VIP treatment?

Comment

ScotSteve, yes, it is odd! The pathology on my after my orchiectomy said seminoma, but the aggressiveness of it in metastasis and the labwork caused my oncology team to treat it as nonseminoma.

Daniel_Eye, that's a good question. I was originally scheduled for 4xBEP prior to orchiectomy, but I went to the ER a week after because the pain had gotten so bad in my back and I could not keep anything down, even a nutritional drink. Masses were evidently pushing on my pancreas and restricting the flow so they did a partial VIP treatment (partial because of liver distress). So at that point I basically trusted whatever the oncology team was telling me since there needed to be immediate action. Out-patient, cancer center treatment is BEP, but this is where my memory is cloudy - the in-patient chemo is VIP only OR VIP is only given in-patient. I might ask my oncologist the next time I see her. They did tell me and my wife the differences, but that point, we just needed to do something. It may have had to do with the degraded ability of my liver and lungs. The same treatment was continued for consistency because it showed in the bloodwork and I felt the results even after the partial chemo treatment.

At any rate, one of the morals of the story for me was don't delay in going to the doctor. I thought it was muscular pain or later kidney stones, and I hadn't had a primary care doctor for more than 10 years. I delayed far too long to allow for more deliberate decision-making.

Comment

Oh Interesting, Yes BEP is given on an outpatient basis, not sure about VIP though. I believe though I may be mistaken that VIP is given to people if they relapse after doing a full course of BEP since they can no longer take Bleomycin or Etoposide.

Comment

Congrats, man, great to hear you are doing well!! It's a crazy time so hats off for making it through without going crazy... I'm with you on it changing everything in life - including friendships and relationships, some have strengthened for me, and some are now gone.
                  July 2016 - Left I/O
                  December 2016 - BEPx3
                  All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                  First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                  Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Congrats, I was diagnosed when our son was 6 months old. Rough time for my wife, but we made it through! Heres to a long line of all-clears now!
                    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
                    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                    3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Working...
                    X