• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheBlankPlank
    • Apr 2018

Good News on 1 year all clear, and my story

Hi all,

I wanted to come here and say that thankfully i just got my one year CT Results back and i am Officially one year cancer free.

I also wanted to quickly tell my story quick because if maybe it helps one person its worth it.

So a little about myself, I am 26 years old (25 at point of Diagnosis), former D1 Athlete, and rather a hypochondriac due to my mother being a 2x Breast Cancer survivor. last year around the start of January, i started feeling a heaviness in my right testicle, i felt it and it seemed a little firm on the top, figured it was nothing and though to wait to see if it would go away, a week or 2 went by and it did not change so i decided to make a Urologist appointment. February came about, and i went in for my appointment, the doctor felt it and said he thinks it is Epididymitis and said you can do a Ultrasound to make sure if you want. at first I didn't want to, i thought that him just saying what he thought was enough, but remembering my mom and my anxiety i decided to go through with it. I got a call later that day saying that the found a mass in the testicle and i needed to come in the next day. The next day the doctor told me he thinks that it could be TC and I will have to get an Orchiectomy and scheduled it the next week.

With this in mind the rest of those weeks leading up to surgery were just plain awful the thoughts going through my head and the worry that i didn't catch it early enough and the big C, were something i was not prepared for. Your mind will make you automatically think the worst and it is goddamn terrible for that.

I went through the surgery and over all felt ok, just glad to have the bastard out of me, a week or so later the doctor called me and confirmed that it was indeed cancer but thankfully Stage 1 Seminoma, Small 2.7 cm, Rete Testis invasion. CT and chest X-ray were both clean.
    Then i began the Surveillance path. i didnt want any extra treatment especially if i may never need it so i concluded on this.
    Next few months went by fairly easy no issues besides just healing from surgery. 3 month check up came about and went in the doctor checked my remaining testicle and said seems good, see you in 6 months. I found this odd and like i was sort of pushed out before i could really ask many questions. So i decided to look up a Oncologist. Found one close by and went to him at around the 5-6 month interval. He seemed more informative and talked more about what was going on to me which i appreciated. He scheduled my 6 month CT and it came back clear. But I for some reason decided to look at the official CT report, and noticed that I had a small Low-density lesion on my liver that my doctor did not bring up to me in the call. This really started messing with my mind, i began to think that i had liver cancer even though i was not really in the range or have any of the other factors that can lead to that. Went in for the check up and asked the doctor about it and he said that it was actually on my prior scan as well and it is unchanged meaning it is most likely nothing and i shouldn't worry about it. This eased my mind thankfully.
    The next few months went by pretty normally nothing too out of the ordinary.

Getting closer to my 9 month check up i have been becoming more active and lifting again, as to keep healthy, i started to notice a tightness or very dull pain in my lower abdominal or upper groin area to the left side. I figured it was just a pulled muscle or something but the ole cancer mind started making me nervous again i started thinking the worst. 9 month came up, have my blood tests and doctor visit. told the doctor about everything and he said that it is most likely just a pulled muscle and to relax about it. so i did and it eventually went away.

Now we fast forward a bit to 11ish months, around Christmas time i noticed that if i was sitting too long a certain way i would get almost a heaviness what felt like in my remaining testicle. So i scheduled an ultrasound but couldn't get in until after the holiday, this basically put a real downer on my holiday if i'm honest. went in and got the Ultrasound, results came back clean and heaviness was most likely from muscle strain or a small varicocele. But again nothing to worry about.

Finally at my one year got my CT Monday and my results today, All clear.

So to sum up what i learned; Trust your Doctor, but ask questions, they are here to help and will answer you and help however they can if you feel they aren't doing enough find a new one. Second, your brain is kind of and ass, around an appointment your brain will try and find everything and anything that is probably nothing, BUT if something is really bothering you, ASK YOUR DOCTOR, it will put your mind at ease and possibly catch something early if by chance there is something wrong.

I am super thankful for these forums and you guys. You helped me through a really tough time in my life and wish you all the best!

-TheBlankPlank
  • dcalandrelli
    • Apr 2017

Congrats on one year!!
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!

Comment

Working...
    X