X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Clear???

I had a PET scan this week. I was told that nothing lit up on the scan indicating cancer. I was also told I had a 1cm nodule that didn't light up in my left lung that I've never had before. Not sure what to make of it. How reliable are PET scans? Doc wants a biopsy.

They are reliable but have limitations. There could still be a tiny amount of active cancer cells too small to be visible on PET.

If your doc is offering a biopsy I’d take it. Overall a negative PET result is excellent, but you never know. Personally I’d take the biopsy.

Comment

What type of TC did you path report say you had? What treatment(s) did you get? Lung nodules are pretty common & often unrelated to TC, but probably best to check it out.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I had a pure teratoma in my left testicle which was removed. No other treatment. Regarding my situation, why would a doc say never get a PET scan?

Comment

Pretty sure teratoma won't light up on a PET scan, technically, it's not even cancer, it is normal cells growing in abnormal places:

Teratoma - (1) Strictly speaking, teratoma is a benign growth. It is an odd sort of tumor in that it is basically composed of a number of different normal types of tissue, growing in abnormal places. I say strictly speaking it is benign, but it can act like a malignant tumor and spread. It is most commonly discussed in the post-chemo situation where the doctors want to remove masses left behind by the chemo because they may have teratoma in them. They do this because any tumor can grow and cause problems later on, plus teratoma tumors can become cancerous themselves, and those cancers are not as easy to treat as germ cell tumors. Because teratoma is made up of normal cells, chemotherapy does not affect it. (2) In the UK, teratoma is synonymous with nonseminoma.
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
            Pretty sure teratoma won't light up on a PET scan, technically, it's not even cancer, it is normal cells growing in abnormal places:

I second this. Teratoma won’t highlight on PET.

Comment

PET scans are inconclusive. Mine didn't take and was a waste of time and money. Biopsy should tell you exactly what's going on!
              July 2016 - Left I/O
              December 2016 - BEPx3
              All clear for 2 years now!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
              First Oncologist Visit Checklist
              3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
              3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
              Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Working...
              X