• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va_Dad
    • Sep 2015

Oral Etoposide

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the effectiveness of oral Etoposide at stopping and slowing down TC.

Thanks
    http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/ajax/.../saveSignature
  • Davepet
    • Mar 2010

Afraid I don't know much about it beyond what guys in this forum who have been on it have mentioned. It doesn't seem to be used as a first line of treatment, rather as part of second or third line treatments, so I'm guessing your son has had other treatment? If you could post additional information about the type of TC, & what treatments have been done to date we may be able to provide better information.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Kiwi
      • Jul 2008

Quick Search can see it mentioned a few times - seems a bit more for Lung Cancer - often TC will spread to the Lungs so maybe thats why its used. Whats your story - whats your staging - have you had an IO yet or when?

>>>>>>>>>
      TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
      TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

• Va_Dad
        • Sep 2015

In this situation BEP(x4) and salvage HDC (x2 cycles) didn't achieve remission, and oral Etoposide was prescribed to slow TC progression. There is the possibility of Clinical Trials at IU but that possibility is a few months away which is why I was wondering about the effectiveness of oral Etoposide.

Comment

• jjjw2835
          • Jan 2012

I took etoposide for extended periods of time after hdc. It kept my tumor markers in check very well. My markers continued to drop while I was on it too.
          4x vip
          2xhdct
          2x cyber knife
          Oral etoposide
          2xCrainiotomy
          Brain radiation
          2xorchiectomy
          4xPVB

Comment

• Va_Dad
            • Sep 2015

Thank you, jjjw2835! Hopefully this will keep my son's tumor markers in check.

Comment

• Va_Dad
              • Sep 2015

I figured that I would give an update on the usage of oral Etoposide. When the oral Etoposide was prescribed at IU, it was explained the use of Etoposide in this setting could slow down or stop, even reduce the growth of TC or it could have no effect. Today I received the latest tumors marker count, which was taken at the end of his 21 day cycle. It appears it did slow the TC growth down, just not as much as I had wished for since there was a 70% increase in the tumor marker count (bHCG) within 22 days.

Comment

• jjjw2835
                • Jan 2012

How long after he finished the 22 day cycle did they take his markers?
                4x vip
                2xhdct
                2x cyber knife
                Oral etoposide
                2xCrainiotomy
                Brain radiation
                2xorchiectomy
                4xPVB

Comment

• Va_Dad
                  • Sep 2015

It was taken on the day he took the 21st pill. Tumor markers will be taken again on Monday 27th day of the cycle.

Comment

• jjjw2835
                    • Jan 2012

I think when mine were taken it was a week after I finished a cycle. Is he doing a 3 weeks on 1 week off cycle of the pills? You very well may see a decrease in markers come Monday.
                    4x vip
                    2xhdct
                    2x cyber knife
                    Oral etoposide
                    2xCrainiotomy
                    Brain radiation
                    2xorchiectomy
                    4xPVB

Comment

• Va_Dad
                      • Sep 2015

I guess it's time to post an update but first I wanted congratulated everyone who is under surveillance and those who received the all clear. Congratulations and a reminder to remain ever vigilant!

While I've only made a few posts, and this will be my last one. After an eighteen month battle, 4 cycles of BEP, two cycles of high dose chemotherapy, and all the agony associated with the treatments my son passed away this month. Attempts to slow the spread of cancer failed, and it continued to spread at an alarming rate. It was literally doubling in size each month.

In closing - always be ever vigilant and do not take anything for granted. You are your best advocate. God bless you and everyone who helped you through to the point your at now. I wasn't sure if I was even going to provide this update but I wanted my son to serve as a reminder to everyone here "Don't take this cancer lightly."

Comment

• biwi
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Va_Dad View Post
                        I guess it's time to post an update but first I wanted congratulated everyone who is under surveillance and those who received the all clear. Congratulations and a reminder to remain ever vigilant!

While I've only made a few posts, and this will be my last one. After an eighteen month battle, 4 cycles of BEP, two cycles of high dose chemotherapy, and all the agony associated with the treatments my son passed away this month. Attempts to slow the spread of cancer failed, and it continued to spread at an alarming rate. It was literally doubling in size each month.

In closing - always be ever vigilant and do not take anything for granted. You are your best advocate. God bless you and everyone who helped you through to the point your at now. I wasn't sure if I was even going to provide this update but I wanted my son to serve as a reminder to everyone here "Don't take this cancer lightly."
                        So sorry to hear he passed on. I'm working on awareness a bit myself, an organization I'm involved in is putting on a 2nd annual charity 5K and they are looking for a cause. I volunteered to provide some material and a portion of a sub-cause for testicular cancer. It is definitely the right target market, this is a motorcycle racing organization so there are many 18-40 year old men in the organization.
                        6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                        7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                        7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                        10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                        10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                        4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                        4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                        10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                        4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

Working...
                        X