Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davepet
    replied
    Waiting is often the most difficult part of a cancer Dx, I'm afraid.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Violet0729
    replied
    Trekga i meant Urologist. I tried calling to push appt and i had no luck. Doctor is booked but i will keep calling to see if theres any cancellations 😢. Im still worried about my husbandís cough and since surgery he lost 3 pounds. Hes eating and has an appetite still but im not sure if we should be worried. The waiting on results is horrible

Leave a comment:

• Trekga
    replied
    Appointment with Urologist or Urologist? With my son we waited to see a Urologist since his Tumor Markers were not normalizing and some on this board said to give it time. It was Christmas so the Urologist kept in contact via phone.

Leave a comment:

• Violet0729
    replied
    Ok thanks guys and im calling tomorrow to see if we can get anything sooner and i will keep you posted on results

Leave a comment:

• billandtuna
    replied
    Hi Violet,
    I don't really remember how long after surgery I got seen by an oncologist, I think it was about 10 days?

Good luck getting the appointment moved up, I hope it works out for you.

In the meantime, be there for one another and the kids!

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Yes, there are differences between docs & also from one location to another. If I recall correctly it was about a week before my follow up post I/O, but some report waiting far longer.I would expect he will be referred to an oncologist, but getting a CT scan should be a top priority at this point, they need that to complete staging which determines what happens next.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Violet0729
    replied
    They did bloodwork before surgery but no ct scan yet. Im guessing once we get bloodwork results he will be referred to an oncologist? I guess all doctors work different

Leave a comment:

• vpirh
    replied
    3 weeks for me. That is how long it took to get pathology done. Apparently they need to cure the ball in dye to be able to analyze it and that takes time.
    Ct scan and blood work were all done prior to surgery and results were available within a week.

Leave a comment:

• Violet0729
    replied
    Thank you for your words guys. Hes been coughing and hes a little nervous about that, but hopefully we can find out soon enough. Tomorrow im calling doctorís office and im going to try getting him appt for Tuesday because he has appt until friday and i think thats waiting too long. How long did it take for you guys to be seen after surgery?

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Originally posted by Violet0729 View Post
    Guys since my husband had I/O on tuesday hes been really tired these days, is that normal?
    He's had major surgery, yes totally to be expected. It would be odd if he wasn't.

DSave

Leave a comment:

• JoeTheAstronaut
    replied
    Yes, Violet, waiting is the worst!! But in a few days you'll know and it'll be such a relief, either way, because you'll know and you'll have a plan and in any case, the cure rates are incredibly high!!

Leave a comment:

• billandtuna
    replied
    Hi Violet!
    Lovely to see you here, but sorry you needed to...
    As others have said, 4 days isn't long at all. My surgery went just exactly as planned, no complications, but I was out of it for about a week, between the healing from the incision, the pain meds, and yes, the emotional adjustment.
    It can be a tough time, I imagine both of you are worried about what comes next, but try to stay focused on the here and now - and keep some jokes and humor going through the situation to help keep you from staying dark - it's OK to let your mind visit there from time to time, that's totally natural, but don't let yourselves stay there.
    Being emotional is a normal response, so is being depressed. You don't need to hide from those feelings, but don't let them take over, either.
    Keeping it light doesn't mean denial, it's a way to keep things in perspective.

As strange as it sounds, this can be a great time to open up your hearts and your home to well-wishers - let someone else cook for you, or shovel the driveway (if you're in the snow zone), or do whatever around the house - you'll find that people are eager to help, but usually you need to ask them, and give them a discrete task.

Another thing - try to avoid Googling or looking things up on-line, especially now. At this stage, you don't have a lot of information to work with, and there are some pretty scary words on-line that are very unlikely to be relevant to your situation AT ALL. Remember that survival with testicular cancer is very high, and the vast majority of men who get it do fine and live very long, healthy lives afterwards.

Keep us posted about what's happening.
    Best wishes to you and your husband!

Leave a comment:

• Violet0729
    replied
    Yes the surgeon said the surgery went well. We are going back to Urologist next week for results. Im just worried about him and him feeling so tired. Hes also a little emotional and im thinking heís depressed. The good thing is that he hasnt lost his apetite and hasnt lost weight. But hes very fatigued and all these negative thoughts are in my head already thinking cancer has spread. Im just so anxious already and im hoping days go by fast so we can go see doctor.

Leave a comment:

• Sk8rMom
    replied
    Hi Violet729. I'm sorry you have had to look for this forum but glad you have found it! I think it could be that your husband might still be feeling the effects of anesthesia. The drugs are not still in his body but the effects of anesthesia can hang on longer with some people more than others. I/O is generally a short, uncomplicated procedure but not always and it's still surgery and it's still anesthesia. 4 days is really not a long time for someone to still be kind of listless after surgery. Did the surgeon speak with you after the procedure? Did he say it went as planned?

Leave a comment:

• Violet0729
    replied
    Could it be the anesthesia still in his body?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X