Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeTheAstronaut
    • Dec 2016

Yes, Violet, waiting is the worst!! But in a few days you'll know and it'll be such a relief, either way, because you'll know and you'll have a plan and in any case, the cure rates are incredibly high!!
    July 2016 - Left I/O
    December 2016 - BEPx3
    All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
    My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• Davepet
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Violet0729 View Post
      Guys since my husband had I/O on tuesday hes been really tired these days, is that normal?
      He's had major surgery, yes totally to be expected. It would be odd if he wasn't.

DSave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Violet0729
        • Feb 2018

Thank you for your words guys. Hes been coughing and hes a little nervous about that, but hopefully we can find out soon enough. Tomorrow im calling doctor’s office and im going to try getting him appt for Tuesday because he has appt until friday and i think thats waiting too long. How long did it take for you guys to be seen after surgery?

Comment

• vpirh
          • Sep 2017

3 weeks for me. That is how long it took to get pathology done. Apparently they need to cure the ball in dye to be able to analyze it and that takes time.
          Ct scan and blood work were all done prior to surgery and results were available within a week.

Comment

• Violet0729
            • Feb 2018

They did bloodwork before surgery but no ct scan yet. Im guessing once we get bloodwork results he will be referred to an oncologist? I guess all doctors work different

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

Yes, there are differences between docs & also from one location to another. If I recall correctly it was about a week before my follow up post I/O, but some report waiting far longer.I would expect he will be referred to an oncologist, but getting a CT scan should be a top priority at this point, they need that to complete staging which determines what happens next.

Dave

Comment

• billandtuna
                • Feb 2018

Hi Violet,
                I don't really remember how long after surgery I got seen by an oncologist, I think it was about 10 days?

Good luck getting the appointment moved up, I hope it works out for you.

In the meantime, be there for one another and the kids!
                Painless lump 5/18/2017
                Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
                Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
                No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

• Violet0729
                  • Feb 2018

Ok thanks guys and im calling tomorrow to see if we can get anything sooner and i will keep you posted on results

Comment

• Trekga
                    • Jan 2017

Appointment with Urologist or Urologist? With my son we waited to see a Urologist since his Tumor Markers were not normalizing and some on this board said to give it time. It was Christmas so the Urologist kept in contact via phone.
                    Son Grant
                    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Violet0729
                      • Feb 2018

Trekga i meant Urologist. I tried calling to push appt and i had no luck. Doctor is booked but i will keep calling to see if theres any cancellations 😢. Im still worried about my husband’s cough and since surgery he lost 3 pounds. Hes eating and has an appetite still but im not sure if we should be worried. The waiting on results is horrible

Comment

• Davepet
                        • Mar 2010

Waiting is often the most difficult part of a cancer Dx, I'm afraid.

Dave

Comment

• Addictedangel
                          • Aug 2017

My husband is also a larger man..he waited almost 2 years (misdiagnosed a few times) before he went to the e.r. because his testicle swelled to the point it affected his daily life. His tumor in his testicle was 10.5cm x 8cm x11cm. It never went beyond testicle. He was tired after surgery for well over a week. Saw his oncologist and urologist back to back 10 days after the surgery. Was determined to be stage 1a after his afp dropped from 4500+ to <2. After 1 round of chemo, he is now in remission. I hope his story gives you some comfort as i know how terrifying it can be.
                          Crystal wife to Jonny (30) diagnosed

1/28/2015: got sick after dirt bike riding, right testicle swelling
                          5/2015: saw a dr who said it was torsion but since the swelling "went down" we shouldn't worry
                          02/2017: swelling increased tremendously no longer "went down"
                          07/24/2017: had realistic dream telling him it was cancer, went to ER, was told it was never torsion and the tumor was cancer
                          Afp: 4759
                          Hcg: <1
                          Ldh: 258
                          07/28/2017: right orchiectomy ct scans all clear
                          08/04/2017: nonseminoma stage 1 no invasion 40% ec 60% yolk
                          08/28/2017: pet-ct and brain ct due to headaches
                          Afp: 11.8
                          Hcg: <2
                          Ldh: 138
                          09/06/2017: pet and brain clear
                          09/18/2017 afp down to 2.9! Stage 1a
                          10/02/2017 1xbep starts

Comment

• Violet0729
                            • Feb 2018

Thank you for your words Addictedangel 🙂 im hoping my husband is ok. But now i have another concerned, hes been loosing weight since he had his i/o surgery and hes eating well even if he doesnt have an appetite.

Comment

• billandtuna
                              • Feb 2018

Hi Violet,
                              I know it's rough waiting for answers! And boy, it is rough. We've all been there with you!

Losing a few pounds is normal during stressful times, and for me at least, when I've got a cold! As far as I know, testicular cancer is not known for contributing to a "wasting" syndrome, especially so early in the process. If anything, testicular cancer survivors generally have to watch out for putting on more weight in the years (many years) to come after diagnosis.

Try to focus on the positive - for instance: testicular cancer is essentially curable; your husband is recovering well from an invasive surgery; and, you obviously have a lot of love to share between you. The news of a cancer diagnosis takes some time to adjust to, and you WILL get there. Be patient with yourself. When you find yourself worrying about something you don't know, give yourself permission not to know. Say "hey, I don't know that", and re-frame your thoughts around what you do know, here and now.
                              When you start feeling overwhelmed, find something else to occupy your busy mind - like take a walk, ideally somewhere you haven't walked recently. Or if it's a familiar route, force your mind to pay attention to something you've never paid attention to before, like the roots of the trees, or how different houses have different window trim, that sort of thing.

You're obviously very concerned for your husband's welfare - that's great! Celebrate the little things with him, and set aside the great unknowns - it will all get clearer soon.
                              Painless lump 5/18/2017
                              Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
                              Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
                              No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

• Violet0729
                                • Feb 2018

Thank you and I will take your advice. I feel alot better when I vent here with you guys and your words always give me hope and courage. Thank you guys

Comment

Working...
                                X