X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melanie
    • Feb 2018

One year

I can't believe its been a year since diagnosis, surgery and chemo. Feels like yesterday and a million years ago all at once.

He has is one year check up on 4/12 and the anxiety is building for us both. I am trying not to play the what if game and just not thinks about the appointment at all really, but its hard. I noticed a few people relapsing at the one year check which doesn't ease the mind. My sister in law relapsed from lymphoma at 4 years and 11 month. SO close to the 5 years goal. She is doing well now but its certainly Not helping the nerves either.

I know there is nothing to be done and things will be the way they will be, but wondering what has helped you guys get through the check up jitters? Were the one and two year check the worst? Does this every get easier?
    2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
    2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
    3/12/18-4/1/18 Adjuvant BEPx1
    4/12/19- ONE YEAR ALL CLEAR
    4/2020- Two years all clear
    4/2021- Three years all clear
    4/2022- four years all clear
  • biwi
    • Jun 2015

I'd look at the statistics. I think it is very rare for relapses after stage 1 and 1xBEP?

Most of the relapses you see are folks that didn't do adjuvant, and went straight to surveillance I think.

It definitely is nerve racking though! I have another blood draw at the end of this month, and I still get a little nervous about it, and i'm 3 years out.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
    4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• Violet0729
      • Feb 2018

Hey Melanie!! I know it’s nerve wrecking and trust me I know. My husband relapsed after the year because he was on surveillance and didn’t do the one time chemo. Sometimes I wonder if that would’ve help him not relapse and wonder if we made the right choice. But its ok because we saved the big guns for later and the good thing is that it was caught early. Tomorrow we see oncologist for lung function test results to see which chemo he will get. Hang in there, your husband will be fine and his chances of relapse are way lower since he did the BEPx1. Keep us posted.

Comment

• Emj
        • Sep 2018

I feel the same Melanie. My partner was diagnosed almost 2 years ago when we had our little boy who was 3 weeks old (our first baby). It was hell. My partner had surgery and 1x round of bep.

His 2 year check up is in june and im already feeling stressed.

I am a nervous wreck still but i try and think logically, keep busy and like to read all the positive posts on this forum or others who have had it worse than my partner and are doing great today makes me more positive .

Please Keep us updated

Comment

• melanie
          • Feb 2018

Biwi- Thank you. Good to keep the stats in mind. Sometimes I feel like since it was unlikely for him to get TC in the first place the odds arent as comforting. Maybe we'll just get unlucky again. But I need to real those thoughts in as I know its irrational. Nice to hear that you still get nerves at 3 years. Maybe Im not crazy after all I am sure your tests will be great and I look forward to hearing the good news.

Violet-I think no matter what you guys chose you would wonder if you picked the right one. We certainly worry about unnecessary exposure to chemo, and if surveillance would have been better. He chose it since his type was aggressive but if he had had seminoma he probably would have gone with wait and see too. When dose he start chemo? Let me know if you every want to talk. Even though my husband only did one round it was pretty hard on me to see him sick. I know it can be extra tough with kids too so Im here if you want to vent.

Emj- Thats tough with a new baby for sure! We have 3 kids 17,14, 10 and although its not as demanding as a baby it was so hard to keep a smile on my face, keep routine normal and not show fear so they could feel okay. The whole year was hell. I keep thinking what if we he relapses and we have to go through the whole thing again. Its hard to break that thought pattern once it gets hold. Good advice to keep busy and read the positive posts. I sure hope one day this gets easier. Cancer is such an a**hole. It never feels over when its gone.

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted.
          2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range

Comment

• Violet0729
            • Feb 2018

Thank you Melanie, I guess as wifes we worry about keeping our family healthy. But I will keep you posted. Today we find out what chemo he will get. If you also need to talk message me. You can even add me on Facebook and I will send you info.

Comment

• melanie
              • Feb 2018

One year and cancer free! What a relief! I can't thank you all enough for the support you give.

Comment

• Emj
                • Sep 2018

Fantastic news Melanie. So glad to hear. My partners 2 year check up is coming up start of june so starting to get nervous now as well. Such a great feeling leaving with positive news ☺

Comment

• biwi
                  • Jun 2015

Excellent!
                  6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                  6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                  7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                  7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                  10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                  10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                  4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                  4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                  10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                  4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• Ryan Bi
                    • Jul 2018

Thank you for this update, it is really a good news! Congrats!

Ran’s mom
                    Son Ran, 24 years old, 25th May 2018 diagnosed NSGCT. 28th May 2018 right orchiectomy. Pathology:50% EC, 30% Teratoma,20% Yolk sac. CTs: 1 retroperitoneal lymph node 0.7mm Tumor markers: AFP 497, bhcg 19, LDH normal Normalized after R/O. Stage 1, surveillance 17th September 2018, Bhcg elevated up to 5.6 AFP and LDH normal, CT stable. 4th November bhcg up to 28, AFP and LDH normal. BEPx3 started and 2nd January 2019 BEP finished with Tumor markers normalized. 13th February 2019 CT scan showed 1 retroperitoneal lymph node enlarged up to 1.1 cm with normal tumor markers. RPLND : 03/14 2019@IU Dr.Cary Pathology report: one lymph node from 57 is Teretoma .Back to surveillance 05/02/19 Blood work all normal

08/23/2019 Bloodwork, Abdomen CT and Chest X-ray all normal

Comment

• wjonw
                      • Aug 2018

Thank you for the update! I'm currently waiting for my first results post chemo.. Interesting to hear the amount of stress always last but its great to see positive results.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X