X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleo Questions

Thanks to the makers of Ativan, Zantac, Emend and Miralax, Austin made it through week one of his BEP in one piece And a special thanks to the makers of Zanax, who helped me make it through week 1 of Austin's BEP in one piece. So...... now we are gearing up to take on " the wrath of Bleomycin" for the next two weeks.

After reading up on line as well as others postings here, I have a few questions I hope some of you old timers can answer:

1. After finishing this week Austin had a couple of rough days, especially with nausea. Today he was like a new person, although still very fatigued. Should we continue to give him Zofran or Amend without symptoms or should we wait and begin them Monday morning prior to getting the Bleo that afternoon?

2. I don't believe there is any hydration given on the Bleo only days, unless I misunderstood. Austin was getting 6 hours a day of just hydration last week, so this is a big change!! Do we need to only be concerned with hydrating on week 1 of each cycle?

3. I know Austin is going to have a blood test, then will be given tylenol prior to the Bleo, which I presume is to head off fever and chills. However, I am wondering about some of the other side effects, such as severe chest pain, rashes, swelling and shortness of breath. If these occur, are they immediate, or can they happen hours or even days later? Since fever and chills seem to be the most common after affects, do they come on quickly or can it take several hours? Thankfully, we have yet to have a fever to deal with in our family,( although I'm sure my husband or I did at some point when we were young,) so I'm a little anxious about this. Has anybody had to actually go to the hospital for treatment and can it last for several hours..... or days?

4. We have the magic mouthwash, which both Austin and I tried! It is really weird, like it is numbing your entire mouth and tongue as well..... but hey, if it works I'm all for it . Should I have him start using it now as a preventative measure or is this only useful if symptoms arise? Seriously... from the cautions on the bottle, you'd think it was made from toxins too, so I hate to have him use it any more than necessary!

5. When Austin was given his first Bleo push in the hospital, I believe he commented on a funny taste in his mouth, but that was it. No other side affects and no complaint of pain while receiving it. Does this indicate he may not have any issues with the drug this second time as well or is it typical for side effects to not show up until the 2nd or even 3rd time it is administered?

As always, thanks for all the excellent expert advice!!
    Diane
    Cook/Maid/Chauffeur/ATM Machine/Personal Asst. to Austin

12/07/11 I/O AFP: 291 hCG: 151
    12/08/11 CT Scan, Xrays - clear
    12/15/11 Non Seminoma Stage1-B
    EC, Teratoma, Yolk Sac, Intratubular
    4/21/12 Relapse- Start 3XBEP
    6/25/12 Finished BEP
    7/02/12 Markers and CT Scan normal
    10/3/12 3 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
    2/28/13 8 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
    6/30/13 ONE YEAR- ALL CLEAR!!
    2/14/14 20 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!

Hi Diane.
    I'm not sure how to answer most of the specifics of your questions, but I wanted to say this. The bleo days were usually pretty uneventful for me. It was simply a case of turning up at the hospital for an hour and letting them get on with the infusion. I don't recall any severe side effects. Hopefully Austin will sail through.
    Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
    August 2001: Right I/O .
    August - December 2001: Surveillance .
    December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
    December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
    Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

Originally posted by AustinsMom View Post
      4. We have the magic mouthwash, which both Austin and I tried! It is really weird, like it is numbing your entire mouth and tongue as well..... but hey, if it works I'm all for it . Should I have him start using it now as a preventative measure or is this only useful if symptoms arise? Seriously... from the cautions on the bottle, you'd think it was made from toxins too, so I hate to have him use it any more than necessary!
      I had that same mouthwash because I did get a couple mouth sores on my tongue. I just used it as needed. It's pretty nasty, but it works.
      Jan 2000 Left I/O
      Surveillance
      Dec 2011 cancer diagnosed in right testicle, and lymph node, followed by I/O
      Pathology report 100% pure seminoma
      March 5 2012 started chemo 4xEP
      May 11, 2012 Finished Chemo.
      October 29, 2012 All Clear.

Comment

1. After finishing this week Austin had a couple of rough days, especially with nausea. Today he was like a new person, although still very fatigued. Should we continue to give him Zofran or Amend without symptoms or should we wait and begin them Monday morning prior to getting the Bleo that afternoon?
        I relied only on the IV anti nausea meds during my long week & had no nausea until thw wekend after, I took one of the oral meds as needed & the worst I got was a bit queasy, I never actually got sick, everyone's different, though others here say keep taking them./quote]

2. I don't believe there is any hydration given on the Bleo only days, unless I misunderstood. Austin was getting 6 hours a day of just hydration last week, so this is a big change!! Do we need to only be concerned with hydrating on week 1 of each cycle?
        I can't recall , but think I got the same premeds & hydration as on my long week days, but I never got 6 hours of hydration ever. I drank40--60 oz on my 40 min drive to the center & at least another 20 oz on the way home, I aiso had a contant supply while in the chair.

3. I know Austin is going to have a blood test, then will be given tylenol prior to the Bleo, which I presume is to head off fever and chills. However, I am wondering about some of the other side effects, such as severe chest pain, rashes, swelling and shortness of breath. If these occur, are they immediate, or can they happen hours or even days later? Since fever and chills seem to be the most common after affects, do they come on quickly or can it take several hours? Thankfully, we have yet to have a fever to deal with in our family,( although I'm sure my husband or I did at some point when we were young,) so I'm a little anxious about this. Has anybody had to actually go to the hospital for treatment and can it last for several hours..... or days?
        If anything happened at all, it was a few hours after the shot, but really, I usually felt better on Bleo days, probably from the steroids.

Pretty sure magic mouhwash just makes it numb, it might help healing, but I don;t think it helps unless neeeded. I never got any, & only had a few sores for a few days.

5. When Austin was given his first Bleo push in the hospital, I believe he commented on a funny taste in his mouth, but that was it. No other side affects and no complaint of pain while receiving it. Does this indicate he may not have any issues with the drug this second time as well or is it typical for side effects to not show up until the 2nd or even 3rd time it is administered?
        It's a fair indicator, I had no reaction to my first one or two but did get chills & shakes with one of them. I think they started tylenol after that event & I didn't get it again.

Hope that's helpful, as always, we are all different, so YMMV.

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

For those who experienced fever and chills after Bleo, how long do they last? Hours? Days?
          loving girlfriend to 39 year old cancer survivor

march 2010 R/T stage 1A seminoma
          surveillance
          march 2012 recurrence, right inguinal lymph node 3cm
          stage 2B seminoma
          april 2012 BEPx3
          august 2012 cancer free

Comment

I recall an hour or three, was kinda foggy at the time...
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Hi Celeste,

Like Dave said, our Nurse said they typically start 3 or 4 hours after the injection and don't usually last much more than a few hours. However, I believe some people have experienced them, or at least "flu like" symptoms for 24 hours or so.

So sorry you guys are going through this. Have you contacted the on-call Doctor/ Resident? I have had to call twice and received a return call within 10 minutes. I think most places take Oncology related calls very seriously and maybe they can suggest something to relieve the symptoms a bit...or at least ease your mind.

Diane

6/25/12 Finished BEP

Comment

My husband experienced fever, chills/shakes, and flu like symptoms about 3 hours after the injection. He then slept the rest of the day and night, and the symptoms were gone by morning.

We were told to ignore a low fever (normal to 102) on the evening the Bleo injection as that was normal. He did have fevers even though he was premedicated with Tylenol and Benedryl. He did receive IV hydration on Bleo days after the first cycle because he was always a little dehydrated (unrelated to chemo, but due to colon issues) so they gave him hydration.
                Heidi

Husband - age 51
                10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; -HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
                11/1/10 4X BEP
                12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - -HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
                2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
                6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
                Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

Thank you. The three hours answer did ease my mind. We were told to call if his fever passed 100.7, which it did, but he didn't want to call for fear of another nightmare ER visit. So we waited it out, and it eventually passed. Helpful to read others say that it could get up to 102 due to the Bleo without real concern. His doctor is nice enough to call us back within ten minutes when we call, I just know his arms are still sore from all the needle sticks last time he went to ER, so he's avoiding that like the plague. Thanks again.
                  loving girlfriend to 39 year old cancer survivor

march 2010 R/T stage 1A seminoma
                  surveillance
                  march 2012 recurrence, right inguinal lymph node 3cm
                  stage 2B seminoma
                  april 2012 BEPx3
                  august 2012 cancer free

Comment

I remember during my second round I felt pretty lousy after bleo and went to bed. Unfortunately I wrapped myself up in my duvet and "cooked" getting a really high temperature. I spent the next hour taking my temp every few minutes hoping it'd go down, which it did. But that was a horrible scare that I didn't need to go through!

Feb 2009: RHS (Seminoma) & RT
                    Mar 2010: LHS (Embryonal Carcinoma)
                    Sep 2010: Relapse & 3 x BEP
                    Mar 2014: Four years a eunuch!
                    http://doublezeroami.blogspot.com

Comment

Aaaaaahhhh Celeste........so glad to hear the fever has passed. You guys must be exhausted. I stayed up until 4:00 AM, checking on Austin, who had gone to bed before 8 last night. Thankfully, no fever.......but I know there's always next time.

Hope today is better for both of you.

Diane

6/25/12 Finished BEP

Comment

Working...
                      X