X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maximize hair re-growth post-chemo?

Hey guys, I'm 30 and for years have used finasteride (Propecia) and minoxdil on the scalp to prevent normal hair loss. I'm in the middle of my first round of 3xBEP. The hair loss I understand is inevitable, but I'm wondering if I should continue using finasteride and minxodil during treatment if that will help maximize re-growth once treatment ends, or perhaps they are contraindicated during treatment. Anyone have any experience with this?

I would not use any hair regrowth products during treatment. There are no studies on this, but why take the risk? You will lose your hair, but you will likely regain all the hair that you once had in a few months after treatment.
    Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
    7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
    7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
    8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
    8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
    8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
    8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

Comment

Any chemical you take, your body has to process & get rid of it. Your system will be taxed by chemo drugs, i wouldn't add anything else not necessary to stay healthy.

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Just be careful of hair regrowth supplements. Most of them contain Biotin, which can significantly interfere with your lab results. Depending on the type of lab assay it can either increase or decrease your tumour marker lab values.

Comment

Working...
        X