X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradycardia anyone else experience this need some info/help

So my husband started his chemo this week on Monday cycle 1 of 4. He is getting EP. He has been totally fine with no symptoms or lethargy until today, day 5 and his last day of chemo before starting 2 weeks of rest. I knew day 5 would be the beginning of Nadir and he would get tired and a bit crappy feeling cuz of the low blood count. So check this out- he returns home from the hospital today, he drove, and comes in the house really shattered and says he needs to sit down and that he feels totally wiped out. He hands me a sheet of paper the nurse gave him that's goes on about Bradycardia. The sheet doesn't even go on about Bradycardia in relation to chemo or anything, it's just a generic piece of paper about it with nothing to do with cancer drugs causing it. She wrote down that his heart rate was 48 bpm!!!!! And they let him drive home!!!! Like an hour drive. No sh*t. The paper says to phone the doctor if he has beats less than 50bpm and he was sent home with 48. Now he has been home for 3.5 hrs and is resting with no pain or fainting or anything but his heart is only at 52-54 bpm. The nurse gave him no info about how long this should last or what caused it. He got his chemo as well and then he got this weird thing in his chest called Neulasta that is going to dose him at 6.20pm tomorrow. It says it can rupture his spleen etc... Just what I need. No doctor no nothing, low as hell heart rate and some drug that's going to inject itself in him in 22 hours. It says when it injects he needs to have someone with him in case he has a reaction to it. I would have preferred he had this in the hospital not at home on a Saturday. Does anyone on here know anything about having Bradycardia and how long he is going to have it? I don't want to page the doctor without it being necessary but 52-54 bpm is very low and I'm pretty scared. I guess cuz the nurse didn't say anything to him about it other than this stupid sheet which is pointless and just says she to call the doctor. Any thoughts???
    Late May of 2016 - went to doctor complaining of testicle pain June 9th - results of Ultrasound 2.6cm complex mass (NSGCT) Bloodwork normal July 6th - left Orchiectomy July 14th - 2nd Pathology report confirms 100% Mature Teratoma (2cm) germ cell neoplasia in situ July 25th - CAT scans for abdomen, pelvis & thorax. X-ray chest July 30th - found out 12cm mass was in retroperitoneal nodes Aug 3rd - Oncologist appointment, blood work normal confirmed Stage IIC Aug 18th - Dr Seinfeld & Dr Bosl appointment @ MSK Aug 29th - 4 cycles of EP Nov 4th - last day of chemo! Dec 9th - RPLND surgery Dr Sheinfeld. Dec 19th - discharged! Pathology report pure teratoma, so cancer free!!

Call if you are concerned, that is what the DR's are for. I've had a few conversations with on call doctors.

FWIW I had the same neulasta timed injector and it worked perfect all 3 times I had it. My wife was with me and you don't even notice the injection other than it beeping. The needle is already in you, the needle goes in you when they place it at the dr. office. As I recall you just wait 30 minutes after it finishes injecting and you can remove the injector.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    9/27/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

The neulasta self injector is to help boost his white blood counts and try and make him more able to fight off infections. Like all drugs it has a long list of reported side effects, some minor, some not. In very rare cases, a reported side effect of neulasta has been spleen rupture due to the role of the spleen in mobilising blood cells making it swollen and susceptible to injury, but again it is a rare side effect. Statistically, the benefit of increased blood counts far outweighs the risk here.

As Biwi says, if you are concerned at any point then ring the on call Doc and seek advice.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I am monitoring him still and called the doctor at 9.30pm last night as well as this morning. His heart beat went down to 42bpm and this morning still at 47-50. Doc said that i should take him to emergency room if it goes to 35bpm... I just wanted to make sure he didnt have heart failure before I got the the doctor! But they say cuz he's young, (he's 48 so i wouldnt have classed that as 'young' but, not old my any means) he might have a low heart beat to begin with. He's not an athlete or anything, and not on medication of any kind other than the chemo. Doc said it wasnt a known side effect of the Cisplatin or Etoposide either, but that every person is different with chemo so its hard to say. He's sleeping now So far just feeling wiped out at middle of Day 5 and start of day 6 and no other symptoms. No nausea, no metal mouth (using plastic forks) no sores, so ear ringing or tingling hands and feet, so we cant complain. Feeling tired isnt too bad at all. I made him comfy downstairs.

Thanks for your replies!!!! I appreciate everyone answering my continuous questions and sagas lol
        Late May of 2016 - went to doctor complaining of testicle pain June 9th - results of Ultrasound 2.6cm complex mass (NSGCT) Bloodwork normal July 6th - left Orchiectomy July 14th - 2nd Pathology report confirms 100% Mature Teratoma (2cm) germ cell neoplasia in situ July 25th - CAT scans for abdomen, pelvis & thorax. X-ray chest July 30th - found out 12cm mass was in retroperitoneal nodes Aug 3rd - Oncologist appointment, blood work normal confirmed Stage IIC Aug 18th - Dr Seinfeld & Dr Bosl appointment @ MSK Aug 29th - 4 cycles of EP Nov 4th - last day of chemo! Dec 9th - RPLND surgery Dr Sheinfeld. Dec 19th - discharged! Pathology report pure teratoma, so cancer free!!

Comment

Working...
        X