X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect 1 round of BEP

Hi all. My husband is having one round of BEP beginning Monday. The doctors (Sloan) are acting like its no big deal. But I'm reading so many scary things- heart rates dropping to a scary low, fevers, neutropenia.... I'm so apprehensive for him. We have twin toddlers that are in daycare which also has me nervous. I'm an elementary school teacher as well... Bringing germs home
    Everyday. Can anyone give me some
    Helpful info? I plan to take a
    Few days off to go with him. But, he thinks he can drive himself
    The other days and refuses to
    Ask family to join him because he has to "get work done". Is this safe? Thanks for any insight.

Selection bias... I believe generally people handle it well. The reason you see stories here is because the people that are doing well typically don't seek out this type of information!

I would suggest he get a ride, but other than that he should handle it OK. I always felt a little groggy and out of it for the rest of the day after chemo. But honestly when actually at the chemo center I would rather chill there and bum around on my laptop and/or watch a movie than try to chat with friends or family. My wife took me to every chemo session, and I had 4xEP. She worked on her laptop or would go into the office for a couple hours while I was at the infusion center.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    9/18/2017 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Everyone seems to handle/respond to chemo differently - I was also in the 4xEP camp, the first round for me was pretty uneventful (remember thinking to myself, this isn't any fun, but isn't THAT bad) and was feeling pretty close to normal by the end of the following week - the subsequent/later cycles/rounds were significantly worse. I did not drive to any of my infusions and got a ride from wife/family - just to err on the side of caution; in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't drive - not that I couldn't during the first week, but just one less thing to worry about. I was pretty worn out by the end of week/cycle 1 - the infusion days are kind of boring, I preferred to have some alone time, watch movies/listen to music, surf the internet, etc. vs. trying to chat family/friends - but my wife was there and she just read books/watched a movie - which I think helped her get through it (which is also important). Seems like the steroids can hit some people pretty heavily and he'll get plenty of those, so just another thing to consider if he's not had that before. But overall, I agree w/ Biwi - I think he should handle it ok.

Comment

My husband did one round of bep in January... we made sure someone was with him everyday for support and encouragement. The long week was exhausting and so I was glad he never had to drive himself. Germs were a concern for us too (school age child in home) so we did our best to keep wipes and hand sanitizer all over the house. Take it one day at a time and if possible try to be there for as much of it as you can so you can take notes and ask questions. It seems like a straightforward process on paper but it's much more taxing emotionally and he will need you. Best of luck. Also, I have to mention we just had our own set of twins on 9/9, our blessings that came out of this whole TC mess...

Comment

I had 3xBEP & drove the 40 mi,es to & from infusions myself. We could not afford for my wife to take time off. I'll admit that the drive home was a bit difficult some days and that I probably shouldn't have been on the road. Any nausea should be pretty well controlled by meds, the white cells will take a hit, but that period will likely be short with just a single cycle. His hair will fall out around the third week, but should start regrowing after a few weeks to a month.Bleo can produce fevers in some usually the clear by the following day, I haven't heard anything about low heart rates on BEP.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
          X