X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saustin0612
    • Jul 2016

Cisplatin - Ringing in ears

Hey all! Wanted to let you know that I am one of the lucky ones to suffer from ringing in the ears due to the cisplatin. In addition, I have lost my hearing somewhat. However, I have GOOD news! I started taking sudafed and this has almost cured the ringing! It works really well! Just thought i'd share!
    May 6 - R/O Left Testicle
    Pathology Report - Mixed Germ Cell Tumor - Non-Seminoma
    80% Embryonal 20% Yolk Sac
    Margin Free, No LVI.
    Tumor Markers - Normal
    Stage 1A - On Surveillance

September CT Scan showed 2 Para-Aortic enlarged lymph nodes measuring 1.6cm and 1.3cm
    Restaged 2A
    9/26 Started BEP x 3
    11/21 Ended BEP x 3
    11/21 On Surveillance Again - Lymph Nodes on post chemotherapy scan were 9mm and are expected to shrink further. Merry Christmas to me!!
  • Rudachenko
    • Oct 2016

I had no problems with ears.I have ringing but very short and vertigo because low level of hemoglobin
    On left testicle.It was removed.Diagnose: malignant Sertoli–Leydig cell tumour in stage 3.I had mets in lymph,liver and lungs.I had 4xBEP.All cleared after that.Third month in remission.

Comment

• Conor1988
      • Oct 2011

Great to hear it! I also have tinnitus now from treatment and hearing loss. Another, though expensive, way to deal with is hearing aids. I don't need them really for hearing, though they help for that too, but they reduce the ringing significantly (though not all the way). Interesting about sudafed. Did you find that out by accident or did someone recommend it?
      9/27/2011 - Mass detected
      10/4/2011 - Left I/O; Seminoma; Stage I
      11-12/8/2011 - Radiation therapy
      2012 - 2013 - Surveillance
      2/6/2014 - bHCG 7.3, then 9.2
      2/10/2014 - Recurrence confirmed, CT scan detected a chest tumor: 7.1 x 5.6 x 8.7 cm in diameter. Also a lymph node 1.4 x 1.0.
      2/17/2014 - 3xBEP
      5/12/2014 - Tumor completely resolved
      9/12/2014 - New nodule on CT scan
      11/11/2014 - Nodule increased from 1.2 x 0.7 cm to 2.9 x 0.9 cm.
      12/8/2014 - HDC Autologous Stem Cell Transpant in Indianapolis
      1/16/2015 - Tumor completely resolve!
      3-6/2016 - started having severe and worsening headaches
      6/28/2016 - 9.8cm brain tumor detected; emergency brain surgery
      8/10/2016 - Radiation (6 weeks) to entire brain and spine to treat brain tumor (suspected leptomeningeal disease)

Comment

• Saustin0612
        • Jul 2016

My spouse is a physician assistant and he recommended that I take it because he noticed I had some fluid behind me ears. I'm not sure if you suffer from chronic headaches either, but the sudafed really helped with those as well. With the season change my sinus' act up and sudafed really helps clear those up. Hope that helps!
        May 6 - R/O Left Testicle
        Pathology Report - Mixed Germ Cell Tumor - Non-Seminoma
        80% Embryonal 20% Yolk Sac
        Margin Free, No LVI.
        Tumor Markers - Normal
        Stage 1A - On Surveillance

September CT Scan showed 2 Para-Aortic enlarged lymph nodes measuring 1.6cm and 1.3cm
        Restaged 2A
        9/26 Started BEP x 3
        11/21 Ended BEP x 3
        11/21 On Surveillance Again - Lymph Nodes on post chemotherapy scan were 9mm and are expected to shrink further. Merry Christmas to me!!

Comment

• biwi
          • Jun 2015

I had a little bit of ringing towards the end of chemo but it went away within a week or two. I'd say my hearing is the same or maybe just slightly worse than pre-treatment.
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
          4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• chad-in-berlin
            • Jul 2015

I'm an audio engineer and was very paranoid about the cisplatin-related hearing loss, so I tested myself several times throughout chemo to monitor it. I got some ringing in cycles 3 and 4, but only during the long weeks. The ringing faded almost completely a few days after the long weeks. As a long-term trend, I noticed a slight roll off for frequencies above 14 kHz, but this too seemed to bounce back a month or so after chemo. Whether or not the ear cells are damaged, I have no idea, because the brain can compensate for this sort of damage. Long story short: I can relate to that ringing and the fear of hearing damage, but in my case with time the condition improved a lot and/or my brain got used to it.

Congrats on making it through chemo, most importantly!
            JAN.2015- mild pain/swelling in RT, spread to abd., GP misdiagnosed as orchitis. (SEE A UROLOGIST, GUYS!)
            JUN27- Diagnosed
            JUN28- AFP ~250, bHCG ~90, LDH ~1.6x
            JUL01- Right orch.; 4x3 cm tumor, 90% EC, 10% yolk), CT shows 2.8cm met in abdom. + smallish mediastinum mets including one 7mm; staged III-A
            JUL06- 3xBEP start
            JUL07- AFP ~225, bHCG ~110, LDH ~2.3x, LDH qualifies as stage III-B, upped to 4xBEP
            JUL28- AFP ~25, bHCG ~15, LDH normal
            AUG17- AFP, bHCG, LDH normalized by 3rd cycle
            SEP21- 4xBEP done, no complications; a few +2cm masses remain in retroperitoneum
            DEC02- RPLND, necrosis + bit of mat. tera., retrograde
            JAN. 2016- Surveillance, exercise, working, SIGUE!
            NOV. 2017- Retrograde improves. Still not normal but better.
            FEB. 2018- 26 MONTHS ALL CLEAR.

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

I had some hearing loss prior to chemo (construction worker). Acquired 24/7/365 ringing after chemo. Wish I didn't have it, but I'm alive & that's what's important. Sometime you just gotta deal with this crap in exchange for survival. We are beating cancer here, after all.
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
                • Dec 2016

Great to hear your hearing has improved so much!! That's great news!

Dave, so sorry to hear you've still got yours... But you're spot on - you beat the cancer and that's the only thing that matters. Rock on!!
                July 2016 - Left I/O
                December 2016 - BEPx3
                All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
                My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• Scott R
                  • Nov 2016

Hey guys so i just finished my long week and prior to treatment i had tinnitus in both ears due to playing drums in a metal band about 10 years ago. I can tell after the long week it has gotten a little worse but hopefully will go away. You do get used to the ringing i guess it just depends how bad it gets

Comment

• Davepet
                    • Mar 2010

I honestly don't notice mine most of the time anymore, unless I stop & think about it. It's always there when I do, but really not as annoying as it was in the beginning.

Dave
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• NorthernSky76
                      • Nov 2016

I have it right now. I have my last Bleo shot on Monday to complete my 3*BEP. Mine comes and goes but usually takes a good 10-15 days after Cisplatin to tame itself. Hoping this one is the same time around this time.

Comment

• JeskiM69
                        • May 2014

The good news is this:

1: It should go away with time
                        2: If you need hearing aids; there are some that can make the ringing go away also.

I was born with a hearing loss and had some ringing in the ears all my life. After chemo the ringing steadily went away and took about 18 months to return to my previous pre-chemo baseline. The chemo did take even more of my hearing away as we expected it to.

Your ringing should go away too.

- Matt
                        March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                        March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                        6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                        LDH never fully normalized
                        Stage: IS
                        Watchful Waiting
                        May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                        May 12th: started 3xBEP
                        Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                        July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                        August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                        September 4th: Port removed
                        Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• Nish115
                          • Nov 2016

Strangely I have ringing ears already, even though i'm only 4 days into BEPx3. Had good hearing beforehand as well. I did have two blocked ears going into BEP, which I will get suctioned next week so maybe that's something to do with it?
                          24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
                          Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
                          Pre/o CT Clear
                          Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
                          Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
                          Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
                          Borderline stage 2B/3B
                          BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
                          CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

• biwi
                            • Jun 2015

I got ringing right away, and then it subsided (or I got used to it). It got worse again during/after my 4th round, and then slowly went back to completely normal.
                            6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                            6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                            7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                            7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                            10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                            10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                            4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                            4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                            10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                            4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• cormier
                              • Mar 2014

I finished june 24 last summer 4x EP and still have ringing in my ears. But i am alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X