X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood clot in picc line

So today i found out i have a blood clot at the end of my picc line. I go in tomorrow to remove the line and get anothrr put in my other arm. How common/bad is this? I will also be placed on blood thinners. Im doimg bep x2 which i got through the first with no effects unitl now. 4 more treatments and im fdone

Blood clots associated with PICC lines is common. I am not sure if yours is in the vein itself or in the PICC. Were they able to flush the PICC? If not, did they try to use a drug to dissolve any clots?

If it is just in the PICC and not in the vein then I would ask about the need for blood thinners as you are most likely looking at injections for quite a while given that the clot is associated with a cancer diagnosis.

If it was me and I was just getting one more round then I would try to do it without another PICC inserted if I had good veins. In the older days they never used PICCs or Ports and many top experts recommend trying not to use them today. Many oncologists and centers, because they typically deal with older cancer patients have them used as almost a knee slap reaction when avoiding them is the best to reduce the risk of developing clots.

I am a bit curious as to why you are doing BEPx2? Did you have an RPLND already or were you stage I disease?

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

Whats up mike ya i think its at the end of the line in the vein. I was stage 1b so it was hard to decied 1x or 2x bep. I litteraly made the decision after the first round because it wasnt bad at all. I did have to take 3 neupogen shots which the second day hurt like **** but other than that i feel fine.(bald now of course) i chose not to wait another week to get a port so the picc line seemed ok at the time. I tried veins first day and my hand got super swollen so i stopped that

Comment

OK, I wanted to one, make sure that you were not being under treated with only BEPx2 and then two that for stage I you were aware of the option for BEPx1 instead of X2. My only thought is that perhaps if they come farther up your arm rather than a back of the hand vein then it might work for 4 more days and two more days of bleomycin. If they are cool, they may even let you keep the one cannula for all 4 days (typically they limited peripheral IV access to 3 days).

Mike
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        Surveillance...

Comment

Ya bro im aware of the 1x option, im probably over treating myself but if i dont i know whst would happen. As far as the iv in my hand it only lasted 2 days them lln my hand/arm was swelling up. I mean id rather not be put on thinners but it looks like i have to. They did say it was a pretty small clot but who knows, thanks for responding mike

Comment

I would just have an in-depth conversation with your oncologist. If it was indeed a upper extremity clot in the vein then they are going to probably want to use blood thinners. They are going to have a better idea of the risks that go along with it depending on where it is, etc.

You just don't want further complications and you still have some more chemo to go so that can increase clotting as well.

I understand your decisions on the x2 option. To be honest, since you already started I wasn't going to really bring it up. I just didn't want to see you being under treated.

Mike
            06.26.06 Left I/O
            Surveillance...

Comment

Thanks mike, ya i talked to einhorn he said 1bep should br fine and ryan from ucsf said there was no wrong option. He has done 2x in the past but if you do it for everyone for stage 1b you could be over treating some people. Ya the clot was upper arm and the onc ordered the thinners im sure ill talk with him tomorrow. Thanks for the advice bro

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R View Post
                Whats up mike ya i think its at the end of the line in the vein. I was stage 1b so it was hard to decied 1x or 2x bep. I litteraly made the decision after the first round because it wasnt bad at all. I did have to take 3 neupogen shots which the second day hurt like **** but other than that i feel fine.(bald now of course) i chose not to wait another week to get a port so the picc line seemed ok at the time. I tried veins first day and my hand got super swollen so i stopped that

You're a tough guy, or maybe I'm just weak! 1 x BEP definitely wiped. me. out! Those drugs are powerful!! I had chemo brain for 6 months after.
                Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
                7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
                7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
                8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
                8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
                8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
                8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

Comment

Whats up RJKD ya bro the toughest part was today, taking the old picc line out and putting new line in other arm. Now i gotta take blood thinners but i got 3 more treatments and im done

Comment

Lets hope i dont get another clot and i just had bad luck with the first clot

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R View Post
                      Lets hope i dont get another clot and i just had bad luck with the first clot
                      With the thinners, it's unlikely you will get another clot. I was on them for about 6 months due to a clot at the end of my port catheter.

Dave
                      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                      X