• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jas
    • Mar 2017

Single dose Carboplatin

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this very helpful forum.
    I'm on my 4th day of Carboplatin adjuvant treatment and so far I didn't experienced any major side effects, just a bit of nausea, mild but constant stomachache since day 3 and an overall lack of focus.
    From my understanding, I have to monitor my temperature during day 8 and 9 due to low white blood cell count. Is there anything recommended to do during these days? Maybe eating something to increase white blood cell count? Are physical activities forbidden? It's very beautiful outside and I was thinking of a 60-70km bike ride.
    Nov 2016 - found lump in left testicle
    7 Jan 2017 - ultrasound and blood markers (HCG slighly elevated) confirmed TC
    6 Feb 2017 - left I/O
    16 Mar 2017 - pathology: seminoma pT2 Nx
    24 Mar 2017 - CT clear, blood markers normal
    27 Mar 2017 - first dose Carboplatin
    18 Apr 2017 - second dose Carboplatin
  • Nish115
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by jas View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this very helpful forum.
    I'm on my 4th day of Carboplatin adjuvant treatment and so far I didn't experienced any major side effects, just a bit of nausea, mild but constant stomachache since day 3 and an overall lack of focus.
    From my understanding, I have to monitor my temperature during day 8 and 9 due to low white blood cell count. Is there anything recommended to do during these days? Maybe eating something to increase white blood cell count? Are physical activities forbidden? It's very beautiful outside and I was thinking of a 60-70km bike ride.

Hey, glad it's going well! Nothing really to do to be honest, just stay away from people who are ill and children when your counts are low. I wouldn't suggest going on a 60-70km bike ride during your treatment, I would just wait, if you're doing 1 round it'll be over before you know it.
    24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
    Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
    Pre/o CT Clear
    Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
    Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
    Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
    Borderline stage 2B/3B
    BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
    CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

• ScotSteve
      • Nov 2016

I had a single cycle in December. The first 3-4 days were ok then I experienced a major downturn which was almost flu like. I couldn't get out of bed or even make sensible conversation. This lasted a couple of days and seemed to coincide with coming off steroids.

Be aware, my NADIR was at the end of week 3... I don't think it's uncommon for low points in the 'blood cycle' to occur later than expected.

Also be aware of constipation!

Other than that (!), the cycle wasn't too bad and I was exercising again after a month.

Best wishes.
      Steve.

Comment

• jas
        • Mar 2017

Thank you for your replies. I guess I was fed up with postponing everything and couldn't wait to do "normal" stuff, but it's probably best to stay safe and avoid any risks.
        6 Feb 2017 - left I/O

Comment

• Cmwilli4
          • Feb 2017

How did you decide on carboplatin vs observation? I am 1 month out from surgery as well. Seminoma with elevated HCG. Same stage as you. Leaning towards observation.
          2/2017 - diagnosed with stage Ib seminoma with lymphovascular invasion. 3.5 cm.
          3/2017 - surveillance - based on advise of Dr. Einhorn. Also based on this abstract: http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/record/128101/abstract
          6/1/2017 - All Clear!
          10/6/2017 - All Clear!

Comment

• ScotSteve
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Cmwilli4 View Post
            How did you decide on carboplatin vs observation? I am 1 month out from surgery as well. Seminoma with elevated HCG. Same stage as you. Leaning towards observation.
            For me, tumour size 6.3cm, rete testis invasion all played a large part in my decision making. However, I also wanted to do everything I can to ensure as much as possible that my risk of relapse was as small as possible. Thus avoiding BEP x3 and a second mental & physical challenge with interruption to family life.

Comment

• Cmwilli4
              • Feb 2017

I have LVI and 3.5 cm tumour, but from what I have been told and from research, this does not appear to increase relapse rate. Wishing you well.
              2/2017 - diagnosed with stage Ib seminoma with lymphovascular invasion. 3.5 cm.
              3/2017 - surveillance - based on advise of Dr. Einhorn. Also based on this abstract: http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/record/128101/abstract
              6/1/2017 - All Clear!
              10/6/2017 - All Clear!

Comment

• jas
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Cmwilli4 View Post
                I didn't decide, my doctor did. He said because the tumor was T2 it's better to do a single dose of Carbo, but now he said I have to do a second dose in about 10 days. I'm not concerned about immediate side effects since I didn't feel any after day 5, but am concerned about the long term effects.
                6 Feb 2017 - left I/O

Comment

• Nish115
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by jas View Post

I didn't decide, my doctor did. He said because the tumor was T2 it's better to do a single dose of Carbo, but now he said I have to do a second dose in about 10 days. I'm not concerned about immediate side effects since I didn't feel any after day 5, but am concerned about the long term effects.

I'd question why you need two and what his basis for it is. I know now it is fully accepted that 1 round of BEP is equal to two for adjuvant chemo. Carbo is different so maybe there's a reason for it. Two rounds of carbo will be a lot less than 3 rounds of BEP for example in terms of long term effects, but i'd definently ask about why the second cycle anyway.
                  24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
                  Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
                  Pre/o CT Clear
                  Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
                  Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
                  Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
                  Borderline stage 2B/3B
                  BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
                  CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

• axe900
                    • Mar 2017

It looks like I will get same medicament,don't really understand this terms and cant find correct term of shortcuts in my language.So this one isn't strong as normal chemo or I didn't understand well ?
                    Did you had hair loss after first cycle?
                    Right I/O, teratoma Left I/O,seminoma

Comment

• Davepet
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by axe900 View Post
                      It looks like I will get same medicament,don't really understand this terms and cant find correct term of shortcuts in my language.So this one isn't strong as normal chemo or I didn't understand well ?
                      Based on your other thread, axe, you are getting 2xBEP, not carboplatin. Carboplatin is only used for seminoma. Based on what others have said, it is a bit better tolerated than BEP for those that want adjuvant chemo for seminoma.

Dave.
                      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• jas
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by axe900 View Post
                        I had my second dose on Tuesday and so far no hair loss and don't think it will happen since it's not as strong as "real" chemo. Just some mild nausea, stomach aches and weird dreams.
                        6 Feb 2017 - left I/O

Comment

Working...
                        X