• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vasileios
    • Jul 2014

chemo and pregnancy

Hi guys
    i am worried a bit about pregnacy after chemo. I had an orcheoctomy then a lap rplnd and then 2xbep.
    The chemo ended 2 years ago and i am in surveilance ever since without any problems. We had our first baby
    after the chemo but using sperm which was provided before the chemo (ivf assisted). our baby is now 2years and
    thank god is excellent in health in every aspect. I am worried about going for a second baby.

my oncology doctor says that after 1-2 years since the chemo i can very well start doing normal attempts (not ivf)
    and that there is no risk of teratogenesis due to the chemo. I am worried though about teratogenesis caused
    from the chemo. My wife is perfect in health without any problems. Our gynaecologist believes that we should go for ivf
    again for the second kid using the frozen sperm (the one i gave before the chemo). I am not really a fan of ivf, it seems
    a bit unnatural (personal opinion) but we did it the first time because we didnt have a choice. The gynaecologist says "why risk
    with teratogenesis and not use the clean frozen sperm?"

What should i do? I cant find an research material on this topic. Does chemotherapy affect the quality of the sperm (with teratogenesis or
    other genetic disorder issues)? How long after the chemo could one male try again (what is the advised period?). I know that for women (e.g. breast
    cancer) they say that 5 years is the minimum waiting period.

Should i go for the natural way (at least give it a try) or go fo the ivf?
    Thanks a lot
    -02/2015 ct scan clear now on surveillance
    -January 2015 end of chemo
    -01-12-2014 2xBep start
    -biopsy said classic seminoma in 2/22 nodes
    -10-2014 lap rplnd
    -06-2014 lymph node increased to 12 mm
    -01-2014 10mm lymph node in the paraortic left region
    -2 years surveillance clear with ct scans and blood work
    -2 biopsies performed(1st said teratoma, embryonal and seminoma element, 2nd said teratoma and seminoma)
    -12-2011 cancer diagnozed NSGCT left orchiectomy
  • biwi
    • Jun 2015

That is a very good question that I am also curious to know about. Unfortunately I only had one to start with so I'm IVF all the way from here on out. We just had an IVF baby 7 weeks ago. Not sure if I want a 3rd kid to chase around yet though haha.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
    4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

Working...
    X