Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower back pain during BEP

Hi

Hubby is currently going through BEP for a relapsed seminoma that was found on a routine surveillance CT, its a 2cm mass that was found in the lower abdomen.

He's about to head into week 3 of round 1 of BEP and is experiencing some lower back pain, just above the tail bone. Panadol seems to make it go away but its been ongoing for the past couple of days. He also had a couple of leg spasms 1 night but had a big drink of water and it went away within 5 minutes.

Is this a side effect anyone has experienced? Did anything in particular help?

Otherwise I'm thinking he's pulled his back running around with our 2 year old lol

Hi Georgia

If his leg spasm went away after he drank water he might be dehydrated. This is not good considering he is on chemo, he should be well hydrated at all times to keep flushing the kidneys. Make sure he gets plenty of water. Can't be certain about the lower back pain though, could be running around with the baby might have done it. Chemo weakens the body so he might want to take it easy until everything is done with.

Question for you, how long after his initial treatment was new cancer found?

-Daniel

Comment

Maybe it's because he's lying down more, in uncomfortable position?

Comment

Both above answers should be taken into account. I had very bad lower back pain probably from retroperitoneal tumor combined with already aching back, that went away at the end of first week of cycle 1. Like I said in another post the pain was bad and felt that there is something that doesn't belong into my body.

My doc suggested that I should keep a bottle or large pitcher of water so I can monitor how much I drink to flush the kidneys. Please note the summertime sweating to that amount also, it's very important to stay hydrated.

Comment

So sorry he relapsed! Back pain is not uncommon- could be from lymph nodes, chemo or just from laying/sitting for hours at a time during tx. Definitely, have your hubby stay hydrated. Hang in there!!!!
          Son Grant
          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.
          Grant is enjoying his senior year in High School Cancer Free!

Comment

Back pain isn't commonly reported as a side effect of chemo, and at 2 cm, the node isn't likely the cause either.

While extra hydration is very important on treatment days& a few days after, normal hydration is probably adequate on other days, certainly, dehydration to the point of spasms should always be avoided.

Back pain is one of the most common human complaints. I would look at his position while getting chemo and the possibility that some activity is the cause.

Dave
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Eye View Post
              Hi Georgia

If his leg spasm went away after he drank water he might be dehydrated. This is not good considering he is on chemo, he should be well hydrated at all times to keep flushing the kidneys. Make sure he gets plenty of water. Can't be certain about the lower back pain though, could be running around with the baby might have done it. Chemo weakens the body so he might want to take it easy until everything is done with.

Question for you, how long after his initial treatment was new cancer found?

-Daniel
              It seems to have gone completely away after a couple of days so he's putting it down to Something muscular / laying around on the couch too much but will still mention to the onc on Monday. Funny he mentioned the day he had the spasm that he hadn't had much water and spent the next 24 hours majorly hydrating again. Trying to keep on top or 2-3 litres a day at least.

Cancer was found while on surveillance at 3 years and 9 months

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies it actually went away after a couple of days I think he was probably spending a bit too much time lounging on the couch! That combined with sitting for chemo for a full week was probably enough to make him a bit achey 😊

Comment

Working...
                X