Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleomycin and pulmonary injuries

So, I'm on the first week of my first of 3XBEP and i was trying to remember something the oncologist told me before starting.

Before starting i was a fairly frequent cannabis smoker and i can't remember if it is prohibited to smoke (he was refering to tobacco) during the treatment or during AND after the treatment, as i see online that bleomycin damage the lungs.

Can't really ask the question to the oncologist specifically about cannabis because there is a pretty big stigma around it in my country.

I'm of course not smoking during the whole treatment but i'm wondering if i'll still be able to do so once it is over without having bad problems.

Why don't you just own up to it and be truthful with your oncologist? Hiding information from the person treating you is a bad route to take.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    9/18/2017 all clears up to this date!

Cannabis is not good for the lungs. If any oncologist says that it's okay to smoke it after taking Bleomycin, I would not believe them. Plus, there are possible associations with Cannabis and testis cancer. I would try to give up the habit as best you can for the sake of your own health.
      Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
      7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
      7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
      8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
      8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
      8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
      8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

I am just one guy. A regular cannabis user who did have BEP x 3. I am 5 yrs out from chemo and lungs are quite solid. In fact I recently started running again for fitness (I competed in University and at a high level for few years after). Been starting slow, but have felt strong with some sub 8min. per mile for ~4miles through trails. I will say that as I have been running, I have been smoking less and going with edibles a bit more. Talk to your oncologist !