Bleo reactions: consistent or unpredictable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew82
    • Mar 2018

Bleo reactions: consistent or unpredictable?

Yesterday was my first bleo-only day, and the afternoon and evening were pretty miserable. I had fever (102.8 F), shivers, and some pretty intense body pain, lasting several hours. I understand this is a common reaction to bleo. The doc basically said I needed to tough it out and take Tylenol for the fever. My blood counts were good yesterday, and I had no other symptoms, so they weren't worried about infection. Thankfully by bedtime my temp had gone back down, and the body aches were pretty minor.

For those who have had similar bleo reactions... did your next bleo-only day(s) go the same as your first one? Or was it easier, or harder? In other words, should I expect a repeat of this experience next week when I go back for my final bleo?

Also when did the ringing in your ears go away, if you had that?

Thank you! :-)
    Last edited by Andrew82; 04-11-18, 02:45 PM.
    2/27/18 Pain in left testicle, hard masses in U/S, elevated AFP
    3/7/18 Left I/O
    Stage 1B non-seminoma, post-op AFP normal
    4/2/18 BEPx1
  • AussieDan
    • Feb 2017

I had a fever on my Bleo only days... I hadn't been warned about it so once my temp got over 40c I went into emergency as I'd been instructed to. I stayed overnight and they eventually told me it was just a Bleo reaction but on future Belo days I was given a cortisone injection before the Bleo and I stopped the fever entirely. I heard my oncologist then prescribed it for his other patients getting Bleo too even if they hadn't had the high temperature. I'm a little sketchy on the details of the cortisone injection but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Comment

• AussieDan
      • Feb 2017

And yeah, I had the ringing in my ears quite a bit but it's gone now... stopped not long after chemo for me and I had 4 x BEP.

Comment

• biwi
        • Jun 2015

I've heard on here that taking claritin beforehand is very helpful? You could run that by your docs.
        6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
        7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
        7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
        10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
        10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
        4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
        4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
        10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

• Andrew82
          • Mar 2018

Good to know, I'll ask about cortisone and claritin. Thank you both!
          3/7/18 Left I/O
          4/2/18 BEPx1

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
            • Dec 2016

My first bleo infusions were awful. But - on the second round I got steroid and never looked back so maybe your oncologist could give you one?
            July 2016 - Left I/O
            December 2016 - BEPx3
            All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
            My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
            First Oncologist Visit Checklist
            Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• Andrew82
              • Mar 2018

They ordered me a steroid and some Benadryl for next week, so hopefully that'll help. Thanks guys!
              3/7/18 Left I/O
              4/2/18 BEPx1

Comment

• Davepet
                • Mar 2010

I had it once, they gave me a tylenol before the infusion after that & it didn't happen again.

Dave
                Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Andrew82
                  • Mar 2018

Well they drugged me up good yesterday (steroid, Benadryl, and Tylenol) before giving me the bleo, and it sure did the trick! No nasty symptoms, just needed to nap for about an hour, later in the afternoon. And I didn't sleep at all last night. But that's definitely much better than last week.

Thanks again!
                  3/7/18 Left I/O
                  4/2/18 BEPx1

Comment

• scotty808
                    • Jun 2017

I had the same reaction to the bleo I had the shivers and high temperature but my doc has now stopped my bleo due to the drug giving me a low lung function and high heart rate I only had 2 bleo sessions to complete my 3 × BEP

Comment

• SKK
                      • Jan 2015

I always felt awful after bleo. Fever, chills and body aches. I would also have pain while breathing. I was scheduled to have 4xBEP but ended up only having the bleo for the first two cycles due to low lung function. Each time I took it my reaction was equally miserable as the time before. As far as the ringing goes, I had that throughout my treatment. I developed extreme anxiety going through chemo and started taking Xanax which actually helps with the ringing as a side effect. Just be careful, coming off the Xanax was tough and I wasn't even taking that much, but it really helped when I needed it.

Comment

• captjoemcd
                        • May 2019

Same here with the bleo only days and shivers with high temperature. I'm on Friday of week 3 and just got out of the hospital after being admitted Tuesday night after bleo for 102.6F fever along with WBC of 0.6K/mm3 (normal range 4-10.5K/mm3) and lactic acid of 3.4 (septic). Week 2 bleo day, I couldn't walk I had such awful knee/leg pain. I haven't had any issue with lung function though and I'm hoping to continue the 3xBEP as initially planned.
                        January 2016, Left I/O stage 1B, some LV invasion. 65% seminoma, yolk sac 20%, teratoma 10%, embryonal carcinoma 5%
                        2016-2019 Surveillance, all clear
                        May 2019, Late Recurrence, Inguinal (not retroperitoneal) Lymph Nodes. Biopsy Positive for Seminoma
                        June 2019, BEPx3 (underway)

Comment

• Andrew82
                          • Mar 2018

Ugh, sorry to hear all that captjoemcd. Maybe you can ask about getting some of the other meds they gave me to help with the bleo reaction. I don't know if the low WBC etc. would make that unwise or not, but can't hurt to ask. Best wishes on your treatment and recovery.
                          3/7/18 Left I/O
                          4/2/18 BEPx1

Comment

Working...
                          X