• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CPOS55
    • Oct 2018

Alcohol after EPx4

Hi,

I recently finished my 4th treatment week of EP chemo on Friday 1/11. All four cycles really didn't give me much trouble side effect wise. Treatment week sucked but by Sunday I was feeling fine and back to work on Mondays with minimal side effects (insomnia from decadron was my only real key complaint).

To celebrate completing my 4 cycles, my fiancee surprised me with a trip out of town this coming weekend 1/18. My doctor advised to keep alcohol consumption to a small amount but never went into detail about how much really.

I am looking for experience from first hand knowledge going through this. Would 1-3 beers 2 nights this weekend kill me? Will I get sick? Prior to chemo, I was probably about 4-12 beer per week guy with the occasional off the wall binge once a month ( I am still in my early 20s lol).

Let me know what yall think!

AFP Last Tues was 1.8! Back for scans in 4 weeks. Will update with more progress then.
  • JeskiM69
    • May 2014

I doubt that a single beer at this point would hurt you. 2-3 spread out over the weekend will likely not hurt you too much either.

Just take it easy/slow....feel your way through it. You are still early after chemo and you may still not yet know how anything will impact you. Obviously you will not know until you do it....but don't go too fast and learn too late.

I would not binge drink yet.

- Matt
    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
    LDH never fully normalized
    Stage: IS
    Watchful Waiting
    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
    May 12th: started 3xBEP
    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
    September 4th: Port removed
    Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
      • Dec 2016

I had a beer every now and again during and after BEPx3 and it was ok, but I didn't feel like it, and it tasted like crap too. Only a few months after when the taste buds went back to normal, I started drinking coffee and alcohol again and it tasted fine... See how you go with it!
      July 2016 - Left I/O
      December 2016 - BEPx3
      All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
      My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
      First Oncologist Visit Checklist
      Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• CPOS55
        • Oct 2018

Good advice. Thanks! I have not had any issues with taste buds at all. Everything has tasted normal pretty normal. Actually my appetite has been quite large lol

Comment

• dustumor99
          • Jul 2018

So this would be on day 12 of your cycle? I wouldn’t advise going out of town, your white blood cells are at their lowest between days 8 and 14 I think, which means you are probably better off not being around many people or in places where you can catch something. If you’re flying or anything like that, I couldn’t imagine a worse place to be.

I think the beer is ok, but just assume your immune system is severely impaired over the next few days, I wouldn’t want to risk too much. Probably best to wait until day 17 of your 21-day cycle to be safe.
          March/April 2018 - Started feeling tightness in right abdomen
          6/4/18 - US+CT confirm massive tumor in right retroperitoneum (25cm x 18.7cm x 15.7cm)
          6/20/18 - Biopsy performed (suspecting sarcoma)
          6/25/18 - Diagnosed stage IIIC seminoma
          6/28/18 - Started 4xEP
          9/7/18- Finished 4xEP
          10/10/18 - PET Scan - (7.3cm x 4.6cm) max SUV 4.6 - Mostly clear!
          1/14/19 - PET Scan - (5.9cm x 2.9cm) max SUV 3.0 - All clear!

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

My doc didn't advise me to alter my alcohol consumption during chemo, so I didn't. If there were any negative effects, I probably assumed it was just the chemo drugs. Sounds like you got through relatively easy, congrats!

Dave
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• surfhb
              • Jul 2013

You’ll be fine. Enjoy life. Just for the future, lay off the booze and enjoy everything in moderation. You got a second chance and don’t need liver problems now.

Comment

Working...
              X