Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do strong tinnitus and/or hearing loss begin to manifest?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do strong tinnitus and/or hearing loss begin to manifest?

Hi everyone, I am a new user at the forums!

Diagnosed in January with a Stage III TC, I completed 4 cycles of chemotherapy about a month ago, being 2 BEP and 2 EP (they dropped the B due to a minor decrease in lung capacity), both regular dosage. I have had AFP in the normal range since the end of cycle 2.

Except from a still present strong fatigue, I have had a pretty uneventful treatment, in terms of side effects: very manageable nausea, never vomited, just very minor pain in the tips of my fingers in cycle 2, sporadic low-intensity tinnitus that usually happened once a day for a week or so and lasted for 6 to 11 seconds (I always counted).

Now, one month after my last cycle, I am still having low-intensity tinnitus, about 3 times a week, still for at most 11 seconds (today, for the first time, it happened twice). I am very concerned with my risk of facing a severe hearing loss, since I had four cycles with Cisplatin. Hence, my questions:

(1) for those of you who got tinnitus to worsen after chemotherapy started/ended, how long did it start to worsen? Did it get any better?

(2) for those who faced a noticeable hearing loss, how long after chemotherapy started/ended did that begin to manifest?

Naturally, all details and advice about those are welcome as well!

Many thanks!

1- My tinnitus started during chem & hasn't gotten worse after, but it is with me 24/7. I've learned to ignore it if I'm busy, but at quiet times & if I think about it, it is always there.Pretty much used to it after a year or two.
    2- I had some hearing loss long before chemo, I didn't notice a change in that. My wife's hearing loss without chemo seems more severe, actually.
    Last edited by Davepet; 06-09-20, 07:38 PM.
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

1-My tinnitus also started ruing chemo, and got slightly better after the first year following it. I am also not entirely sure as Davepet said, if I got used to it or it got better.
      2- My partner has mentioned several times that I am not hearing some things that I used to hear in the past. I haven't gotten my ears checked yet though. Maybe later this year. I don't notice any hearing loss so far. I also actively play music for fun.
      March-April 2018: Lump and discomfort.
      May 2018: Right I/O
      Pre-surgery \: AFP: 560, b-HCG: 109.69, and LDH 317
      Post-surgery: AFP: 164 then 17.29 / b-HCG- 10.13 then <1.2/ LDH: 220 to 173.
      Pre-chemo: No retroperitoneum lymph node, small pulmonary lesion of 3mm in question.
      Pathology: 60% teratoma, 25%EC, 10% seminoma, 5% yolk sac No LVI / Pathology revised in the US in 2019 LVI +
      June-August 2018: BEPx3 micro metastasis? good risk low volume metastatic NSGCT.
      Post-chemo: Markers normal, scans clean. Moving to US.
      September 2018-May 2020: Markers and scans clean
      May 2020: Markers negative, AFP 3.9 to 5. CT: one gonadal lymph node measure 1.2x1.1cm. No significant change compared to 2019 but increase compared to post-chemo scans. Teratoma?
      June 2020: RPLND - 2 teratomas - 2.2cm and 1.0cm

Comment

I was born with a hearing loss in the same frequency range that Cisplatin tends to impact. My hearing got a lot worse since chemo.

I've had mild tinnitus my whole life. During chemo the tinnitus got worse and peaked right about the time I completed chemo. It took about a year for my tinnitus to drop back down to my previous baseline level.

- Matt
        March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
        March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
        6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
        LDH never fully normalized
        Stage: IS
        Watchful Waiting
        May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
        May 12th: started 3xBEP
        Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
        July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
        August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
        September 4th: Port removed
        January 2020: 5.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Working...
        X