Chemotherapy for Testicular Cancer

• BEP: Bleomycin, Cisplatin, Etoposide
    • EP: Cisplatin, Etoposide
    • Carboplatin
    • TIP: Cisplatin, Ifosfamide, Mesna, Paclitaxel
    • VeIP: Cisplatin, Ifosfamide, Mesna, Vinblastine
    • VIP: Cisplatin, Etoposide, Ifosfamide, Mesna
    Scott
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!
  • TCLEFT
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Scott
    • BEP: Bleomycin, Cisplatin, Etoposide
    • EP: Cisplatin, Etoposide
    • Carboplatin
    • TIP: Cisplatin, Ifosfamide, Mesna, Paclitaxel
    • VeIP: Cisplatin, Ifosfamide, Mesna, Vinblastine
    • VIP: Cisplatin, Etoposide, Ifosfamide, Mesna
    I'm down for an EP with a TIP chaser, then PLEASE flag me!
    I Love My Pack!

sigpic

Comment

• EyesWideShut
      • Nov 2007

I keep reading about these drugs but never know if I am saying them right? Can some one please break them down?
      -Husband Evan diagnosed with non-seminoma 100% Embryonal Carcinoma-stage 2-----October 07 -No blood markers before or after surgery -Right Orchiectomy w/implant ------Nov 5/07 -implant infected-surgery to have it taken out----- Dec 30/07 -started 3XBEP on ----January 7th 2008.....set back two weeks (not together) due to low white blood cell count -Finished 3X BEP on ----March 20/08 -Still ALL CLEAR as of Jan 2018 - We have a 12yr old dd prior to TC and a 7yr old son and 2yr old daughter naturally conceived after TC. http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png Spring 2016-diagnosed skin cancer on face, surgery to remove with clear markers.

Comment

• EyesWideShut
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
        I keep reading about these drugs but never know if I am saying them right? Can some one please break them down?
        Just BEP broken down would be fine!
        -Husband Evan diagnosed with non-seminoma 100% Embryonal Carcinoma-stage 2-----October 07 -No blood markers before or after surgery -Right Orchiectomy w/implant ------Nov 5/07 -implant infected-surgery to have it taken out----- Dec 30/07 -started 3XBEP on ----January 7th 2008.....set back two weeks (not together) due to low white blood cell count -Finished 3X BEP on ----March 20/08 -Still ALL CLEAR as of Jan 2018 - We have a 12yr old dd prior to TC and a 7yr old son and 2yr old daughter naturally conceived after TC. http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png Spring 2016-diagnosed skin cancer on face, surgery to remove with clear markers.

Comment

• Michelle
          • Dec 2007

Bep

Hi Eyeswideshut,

As TCleft said BEP means=
          BEP: Bleomycin, Cisplatin, Etoposide
          and how my hubby was given these chemo drugs in Calgary was we would get a call or mailed a sheet with all his treatment appts for the week which was usually 8am, or 9am Monday, Tuedsya and Wednesday, and a later appt in the afternoon on the Thursday just to have his pump taken out. When got to the hospital the waiting room was nice and Paul got a bed to lay in while having treatment, they would put in his IV first and give him his fluids and antinausea meds, at which point he could still walk around with the iv/go check his email in the waiting room extr. Then after about an hour they would start his first Chemo med, the Etoposide which slows down the spread of the cancer and kills new cells, then they do whats called a flush, just to clean out the last meds with a saline solution, then started his Cisplatin which(interferes with the growth and spread of tumors) and another flush, then his antinausea meds again and then they would hook up another Iv for him in the other arm and start his Bleomycin (same as Cisplatin does but can affect funtioning of the patients lungs, ie cause shortness of breath)then we could go home and that would run for 20hrs from a mini pump that looks like a big old cell phone(thats what our daughter called it) they send you home with it and it most be done running before they can start the meds at the hospital the next day. I know it sounds like alot but I hope that helped.
          dx with TC June20/07, Left Orchiectomy June24/07, Pathology stg 1 Seminoma. Surveillance Dec/06-June/07. June14/07 Pregnant with our 3rd child.
          PET Sep14/07, Reocurrence Sept24/07.
          3xBEP finished Nov29/07.
          Dec14/07Got our Christmas miracle and got the all clear!-Back on Surveillance

Comment

• EyesWideShut
            • Nov 2007

Thank you Michelle, that was helpful I just can wait until he is done the chemo!! He finishes it 2 weeks before our daughters 2nd bday, I hope he is feeling well by then!

Comment

• dadmo
              • Oct 2004

He will feel amazing well by the time your daughter has her birthday. Just knowing it's over can do wonders.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• thedster
                • Dec 2006

Lost in Translation

Thanks so much for the breakdown on the courses. I had E and C here in Japan, they didn't give me B (thankfully). I don't speak much japanese so the always wondered what the stuff was between the courses. (i was treated in patient). The best translation we could find was 'its to make you pee!!

I guess they meant it flushed the other stuff out. bless em.
                David
                (Japan Based)
                1 year survivor
                Seminoma, Chemo
                Going for it.

Comment

• Joseph Hernande
                  • Jan 2008

I was wondering for the Bleo if the standard dose is 30U on days 1,8,15 does that mean 30U each of those days or 10U?
                  9/14/07-Dx w/TC
                  9/17/07-RT I/O HCG-153 AFP-20
                  10/1/07-MD Anderson-CSI NSGCT80%EC20%YSNo VI
                  10/3/07-HCG-1 AFP-4.4,CT,CXR Clear
                  10/22/07-start,11-30-07-End (2xBEP)
                  6/2/09 ALL CLEAR
                  "Everything that happens to you, whether you like it or not becomes a part of your life; and you must choose to live your life and be the best you can be every step of the way."

Comment

• RTC
                    • Sep 2007

30U each day
                    Orchiectomy 2007/7/11
                    BEP x4 7/31/2007 to 10/15/2007
                    RPLND 12/11/2007

Comment

• Jens
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                      ... they would hook up another Iv for him in the other arm and start his Bleomycin (same as Cisplatin does but can affect funtioning of the patients lungs, ie cause shortness of breath)then we could go home and that would run for 20hrs from a mini pump...
                      Hi Michelle.

Are you saying that the Bleo was administered over a period of 20 hours?

Best wishes
                      Jens
                      Embryonal carcinoma, stage II,
                      3 x BEP, apr - june 2005
                      Surveillance

Comment

• btp
                        • Dec 2008

Pronouncing the Chemo Drugs Properly

Bleomycin
                        (blee oh MYE sin)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/20220.wav

Cisplatin
                        (SIS pla tin)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/20379.wav

Etoposide
                        (e toe POE side)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/20643.wav

Carboplatin
                        (KAR boe pla tin)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/20293.wav

Ifosfamide
                        (eye FOSS fa mide)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/20828.wav

Mesna
                        (MES na)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/21014.wav

Paclitaxel
                        (PAK li taks el)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/21184.wav

Vinblastine
                        (vin BLAS teen)
                        hear it - http://www.umm.edu/graphics/sounds/en/21623.wav

History & Background:
                        *Dec. 4, 2008 - TC Diagnosed
                        *Dec. 11, 2008 - Left I/O
                        *Dec, 16, 2008 - Report of Pure Seminoma testis cancer
                        Tumor size -> 5.5cm, w/ Rete testis invasion
                        CT scan negative, slightly questionable
                        Stage 1B to 1S
                        *Jan. 21, 2009 - 1st round Carboplatin - 7 AUC, 1,100 mg Carboplatin administered
                        *Feb. 13, 2009 - 2nd round Carboplatin - 7 AUC, 1,000 mg Carboplatin administered

Comment

• Smartie
                          • Mar 2006

That's really interesting, btp. I've always (evidently incorrectly) said "e TOP oh side" - now I know it's "e toe POE side".
                          Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
                          August 2001: Right I/O .
                          August - December 2001: Surveillance .
                          December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
                          December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
                          Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

• Scott
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                            That's really interesting, btp. I've always (evidently incorrectly) said "e TOP oh side" - now I know it's "e toe POE side".
                            And WebMD suggests "eh-TOE-poh-side!"
                            Scott
                            right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• Fed
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              And WebMD suggests "eh-TOE-poh-side!"
                              Yah, and I've never heard it called with the accent on the third syllable.
                              "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                              11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                              12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Working...
                              X