X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisrosado
    • Mar 2008

smoking pot during chemo

does smoking marijuana cause worse cancer conditions, or is it safe to smoke during chemotherapy. Does marijuana cause testicular cancer to spread more?
  • Les' Mom
    • Oct 2007

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I cant answer the specific medical aspects of pot smoking.

I can tell you that it can help the appetite and nausea.....

Pam
    Son Les diagnosed 5/7/07-Right I/0 5/9/07-Stage 3C Non-seminoma Mixed Cell Germ Tumor-Tumors in liver, lungs, lymph nodes, brain-4XBED Finished 7/31/07 HCG 9 tumors smaller, brain lesion gone-9/30/07 HCG 999-TIPx4 started 10/2/07, IU 11/29 Told he had Choriocarcinoma Syndrome HDC and Stem Cell Transplant to begin 1/3/08 Finished Transplant 3/1/08 HDC and Stem Cell Transplant Failure 3/20. 4/17 RPLND & Liver resection, Molecular profiling of tumor, 6/2 Hospice Services- Passed Away 12/12/08

Comment

• Scott
      Administrator
      • Jul 2003

I've seen mixed reports about the possibility that smoking marijuana can cause false positive hCG tests. For example, this page says yes, while this page says no.
      Scott
      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• dadmo
        • Oct 2004

Chris:
        Smoking pot won't cause cancer to spread but as an herb it may interfere with the results of your bloodwork. That in itself can have very serious consequences.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• dannysbrother
          • Mar 2007

compromise with a tasty batch of special brownies.

-M

Comment

• Already Bald
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Les' Mom
            I can tell you that it can help the appetite and nausea.....
            Pam,
            What are you trying to do to my image of you?
            And what of the first graders??

Just kidding!

But chrisrosado- I say no to the dope.
            Tell your doc that that is what you want to do- and then can maybe prescribe something. It is a fair and honest question- and you may just enjoy Ativan.
            Best,
            Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
            Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
            The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• Fed
              • Dec 2006

I'd be more concerned about the smoking part, especially if you're on bleomycin, which carries inherent pulmonary toxicity. I agree with Mikey on this one; the brownies are a reasonable compromise.
              "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
              11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
              12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

• TCLEFT
                • Jul 2004

It is quite possible you might be prescribed Cessamet or Marinol for nausea. Guess what that is? Pot in a pill. Will it get you high? Yeah, probably, but your body is going to get real smart during chemo. It's going to know it needs to almost go into a hibernation mode. So if you're high, you'll probably be sleeping through it anyway. Let the Doc's prescibe what's best for you. You might end up getting what you want legally anyway. And like I said, either way you'll just be sleeping. Beat this ba$t*rd. Focus just on that.
                Much Love,
                Mark
                I Love My Pack!

sigpic

Comment

• chrisrosado
                  • Mar 2008

Smoking pot during chemo

Thank you so much for your opinions, I finally found a site where I feel comfortable to talk about this SHI*. It's been extremely confusing and for a second or two I felt like I was the only one on planet earth with this problem.

Comment

• dadmo
                    • Oct 2004

I'm glad you found us. It's very comfortable here and we tend to not preach. But don't smoke!!! It's not good for you.
                    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Working...
                    X