• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garethrobertsle
    • Feb 2011

Just had an orchiectomy

Hi,

I have just had an orchiectomy on Thursday, still feeling quite a bit of pain but more distressed with the complete lack of information that I have received.

In my pre appointment I was told that I would have my chest x-ray and CT scans whilst in hospital, and i would get all the results 5 days later.

I have now been informed that my CT scan will be on the 28th and nobody has mentioned chest x-ray, I have asked the question but keep being informed that if its needed we will let you know.

I have also been informed that I will not get any results for at least 3 weeks... is this normal? I am in Australia, came out here on a working holiday visa and found the lump. I have always slated the NHS but god I wish I was back in the UK now, at least people tell you whats happening!

Feeling very worried.

Anybody experiencing similar results?
  • toddo
    • Jan 2011

Hi. Although I expect some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum to address your concerns, I can tell you from my limited experience that your situation sounds a little troublesome. I would think they should have your biopsy results by Monday, and CT scans usually have a 24 hour turnaround. Are you in a rural area?

You've come to the right place, btw. This site, and the knowledge and helpfulness of its members will arm you with the information you need to make informed decisions. Best wishes.

US 01.17.11, solid vascular mass
    left I/O 01.18.11
    4.0x3.0x2.6cm, 100% seminoma
    pT2, lymphovascular invasion stage 1b

Comment

• Owls
      • Sep 2010

Hi,

I am in Australia, but from the UK too so have experiences of both health systems (thankfully for lesser ‘conditions’ in the UK). However, I was private here in Aus, are you going through the public system?

I have to say it seems very long to get your results. Most of my scans etc were available the same or next day depending upon the time of day I had them. I did not have a chest x-ray, maybe they are awaiting the biopsy results to see if its necessary? I had my CT scan before my I/O as well.

I would question 3 weeks though, even with the public system it is very excessive. I was told a week for my biopsy results but had them back in about 3 days, I do think they over estimate just in case to cover themselves.

Just keep pushing them for your results and let us know once you get them. Fingers crossed!

Cheers
      Alex
      10/8/10 - GP & Ultrasound
      13/8/10- "you have cancer"
      19/8/10 - righty removed. clasical seminoma with rete testis invasion
      Sept/Oct 2010 - 2x Carboplation
      20/10/10 - all markers lowered
      Jan 11 - All Clear
      April 11 - ..........

Comment

• Paul54
        • Oct 2007

Sorry to welcome you. Three weeks is too long. They can turn around tests in a few days. Sometimes you have to be a little pushy. Best wishes,
        Paul
        "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
        Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

• Smartie
          • Mar 2006

I know nothing about the Australian system, but I agree that three weeks is too long. If you make a bit of a pain of yourself, I bet they'll speed it up for you.

I have never had a chest x-ray alongside a CT scan. They'll probably just give you the CT.
          Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
          August 2001: Right I/O .
          August - December 2001: Surveillance .
          December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
          December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
          Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

• S P
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Not familiar with the Aussie system either, but I agree with the others to just push hard to speed things up. I didn't have a chest x-ray because the CT covered that. They did both chest and abdominal CT scans on me. If anything shows up in either of those, you'll eventually want to get an MRI of the brain done.
            Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
            April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
            www.stevepake.com
            Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
            My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
            C
            ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Working...
            X