X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a Quick Orchiectomy Recovery

OK - I'm going in for my left Orchiectomy on Wednesday, Do any of you have any tips and/or advise and/or secret potions to help fuel a quick recovery?

Thanks,

Mitch

Immediately after the surgery you'll have some swelling. A bag of frozen peas is what you want. It works way better than a bag of ice since the peas are small and will contour themselves around that area, unlike hard chunky ice. Try to keep moving after the surgery. Get out and walk. I was extremely stiff the first day or two but loosened up pretty quickly. The worst thing you can do is lay around in bed all day.
    StevePake.com | @K2xxSteve on Gab
    (Social Media with actual privacy, cancer support groups, encrypted secure chat & more)

Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
    My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
    C
    ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

I agree keep moving as long as you feel up to it! The peas are also very good as last stated. Only take your pain meds if you really need them. A pillow helped lots while sitting on the toilet too! Recovery is different for everyone. Just remember to listen to your body and just take it easy for a few weeks you will be fine. Good luck and keep us posted on how it all goes on Wednsday.
      Aug 08 Left I/O. HCG 645, LDH 364, AFP 2.2
      Classic seminoma tumor size 5.5x 4.5 cm
      Stage pT1s
      On surveillance
      April 11 Left implant surgery
      Enlarged lymph node and rising markers 8-11
      Radiation to lymph nodes 12-11
      On surveillance

Comment

My doc told me not to pick up anything over 20 pounds. Other than that, it doesn't really hurt immediately after the surgery. Just take the medicine and the pain will be minimal. Getting wisdom teeth removed was worse.

Comment

Be as active as you can without hurting yourself.

If you have to cough, sneeze, get out of bed, or do anything else that introduces stress on the incision, push on the incision with a pillow or your palm to help neutralize the stress on it - it will hurt much less.

Comment

^ yes to that. Laughing hurt like hell too.
            StevePake.com | @K2xxSteve on Gab
            (Social Media with actual privacy, cancer support groups, encrypted secure chat & more)

Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
            My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
            C
            ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Scrotal support: Some guys are issued an over-padded jock strap contraption. I didn't get one, but underwear briefs are better than boxers. I found that briefs with the soft cloth waist band were better than the stiffer elastic since it will ride close to or on the incision. (Walmart 6 for $10)

Pants: Speaking of waist bands, loose sweatpants or surgical scrubs will minimize incision chafe. Also, the pockets are large enough for your hand to cup around the incision per CW406's advice.

Pain meds: Prescription narcotics will cause constipation which can be agony with an incision. Switch to something else that is also an anti-inflammatory. Neproxen (generic or name brand) working well for me. Prescription Nexproxen is 500 mg. Over the counter is 220 mg. Do the math.

Constipation: If it still happens, use stool softener along with prune juice or anything with magnesium like Milk of Magnesia. I was told to avoid laxatives, not sure why.

Cars: For the first few days, let someone else drive and recline. Don't drive with my wife. She can't miss any pot-hole, manhole cover, or bump.

Walk: As much as you can. Best thing for you.

Good luck. See you on the other side.
              "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
              Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

Good luck tomorrow! As someone who had it just 10 days ago, I can concur with the comments above: it is not that bad or incapacitating. I had to take some Motrin the first two nights after surgery, but that was it. And I was able to function pretty much normally 4 days in after the surgery. But yes, careful with sneezing! And getting out of car after a longer drive was not fun too. But, today, 10 days after, I am almost completely back to normal. And I am one of those older TC members, and not in great shape to begin with (I am working on it!). So I am sure you will recover even quicker.

Best of luck!

MK
                2/15/11 Changes noted
                2/11 AFP=4.3, hCG=11
                3/11 left I/O, Xray, CT Scan Clear
                3/11 Classic Seminoma, AFP=3.2, hCG<1
                4/11 Second path: Seminoma
                5/11 All clear (CT, Xray, AFP=4.3, hCG<1)
                8/11 All clear (CT, Xray, AFP=4.4, hCG<2)
                10/11 AFP=4.8, hCG<1
                12/12 All clear (CT, Xray, AFP=6.1, hCG<1)
                3/12 AFP=3.2, hCG<1
                4/12 All clear (CT, Xray, AFP=4.7, hCG=1)
                8/12 hCG<1, AFP=5.0
                10/12 All clear (MRI)
                4/13 hCG<1, AFP=3.6
                5/13 All clear (MRI)
                11/15 All clear (MRI), hcG neg, AFP=3.9

Comment

I agree with everything above..

I was in the gym by day 5 post op doing minimal exercises. all machines at even less then 50 % the weight i was used to.

No crazy multi joint exercises like squats or lunges etc...
                  Do everything seated with high reps.. no pushups or anything that puts DIRECt strain on the incision site.. ... avoid ab work altogether.

just be smart and listen to your body if your going to be nutty enough to get back in the gym or do anything strenuous to soon.

Eat as much good fruits and veggies as possible drink tons of water to avoid Constipation but if constipation does occur..

Try the Glycerin sepositories or administer a water enema.
                  I tried other thingsbut these 2 things were the cure for me. Things will get backed up and your stool will get hard and it is near impossible to "squeeze" it out.

the glycerin sepositories are un-medicated and will allow things to "slip" out without to much strain..

the first week is brutal getting over that constipation hump.... it will clear in due time.

Good luck buddy
                  Janurary 31 2011 Ultrasound Confirms Mass Within right Testicle
                  February 11th Right Orchiectomy Successful
                  PathologyStage 1 PURE SEMINOMA confined with no spermatic cord/lymphatic invasion
                  Currently on Surveillance (Yeah baby!)
                  1 Successful Sperm Freezing Pre-Orchiectomy and 1 Equally Successful Sperm Freezing 4 weeks Post Orchiectomy.

Comment

Last Post Before Sugery - The Big 'O'...WISH ME LUCK!

Thanks everybody for all the tips - without you guys I would be feeling a lot less comfortable. I will admit the costipation doesn't sound too fun and neither do the remidies.

I will do the following (in no specific order):
                    1. Think Positive Thoughts - None of you mentioned it specifically but I know you're all thinking it.
                    2. Wear lose clothes and 'supporting' briefs with soft cloth band.
                    3. Try to avoid pain killers (within reason)
                    4. Drink alot and eat fiber to ease constipation (not a fan of Sepositories or enema)
                    5. 'Ice' the area with frozen peas
                    6. Put light pressure on area with pillow when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
                    7. Walk around as much as I can (within reason)
                    8. Don't worry about the news you don't have
                    9. Take it at one step at a time.

Anything else?

Thanks again and WISH ME LUCK!

Mitch

Comment

Scrotal Support

The best idea of Scrotal Support is the QNS Scrotal Support and it's over the shoulder design.
                      Good luck

Comment

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
                        Tina, wife to Gene
                        Right I/O 2/21/11
                        60% embryonal carcinoma- 40% seminoma with L/V invasion, Stage 1B, Cat Scan- clear
                        HCG- 1.2, AFP-1.5, LDH-normal
                        BEP X 2 started 3-7-11
                        Bleo canceled for 2nd round, lung issues
                        EP 3-28-11 X 5 days, finished chemo 4-1-11
                        F/U cat scan 4/14/11 - Stable
                        3rd round EP as precaution because Bleo was cancelled, start 4-25, finished chemo 4-29-11, pneumonia 5-6-11
                        6-1-11, 8-3-11, 9-7-11, 10-19-11, 11-16-11, 12-18-11, 1-18-12, 5-8-12 Clear

Comment

Mate been there twice and there was nothing Frozen or cold near me (there is a catch with cold in that area as it tightens stuff up too). On both occations the Uro said stay on your back as much as possible fgor 2 days and rest - do that and you will recover quicker overall.

If moving around did ensure that I had some supporting briefs Took a few pain killers - always hit th good stuff - codine based or mixed with ibuprofen for inflammation.

First time around I was back at work in 10 days and second time I was on the golf course 10 days latter - took it easy though and did not walk the course though.

Also stayed positive and told myself that I was going to beat this as quick as possible and faseter than the docs were telling me.

We are all different though, see what works for you.

Cheers

Kiwi
                          >>>>>>>>>
                          TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
                          TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Once your outta the initial stiffness and pain phase in the first week. Get your ass up and move move move.. just dont lift anything crazy. Eat functional foods get a good 8 hour sleep. Im just out of 4 weeks and am back to my old workouts and doing just about anything i want . The tight cord of stiffness running up from the incision to my ribs i starting to go away now and im back to treeplanting by this wednesday.
                            The human body and mind are an amazing thing.. and yes F U CANCER.
                            Janurary 31 2011 Ultrasound Confirms Mass Within right Testicle
                            February 11th Right Orchiectomy Successful
                            PathologyStage 1 PURE SEMINOMA confined with no spermatic cord/lymphatic invasion
                            Currently on Surveillance (Yeah baby!)
                            1 Successful Sperm Freezing Pre-Orchiectomy and 1 Equally Successful Sperm Freezing 4 weeks Post Orchiectomy.

Comment

This sounds stupid, but the best thing I found that hasn't already been listed is to pick up an invalid toilet seat insert. You can buy one at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. for a very reasonable amount - think it was around $20.00. The extra 8-10 inches of elevation it gave was the only way I was able to sit without feeling like I was ripping out my stitches.

It may have just been me, but it was a lifesaver.

Comment

Working...
                              X