Waiting for CT results- how long does it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lovemyhusband
    • Jun 2011

Waiting for CT results- how long does it take?

Hi All,

What is the wait time for CT results? My husband had his CT scan yesterday and his results are "still pending". Obviously the waiting and longer it takes to analyze results makes us nervous. Just curious when most of you got your results. Thanks for any replies.
  • julesTO
    • Jul 2010

In the beginning we could get the results within 24 hours (i.e. when they were first diagnosing him), provided we asked. After treatment had begun and there was a schedule so to speak, we got the results from the doc about one week after a scan.

I don't know that the amount of time it takes means anything in terms of what the results might be. In other words, I think it takes the radiologist the same amount of time to review and dictate the findings of any given scan, whether the scan is unremarkable or of some concern.

I know waiting is THE WORST so I can completely appreciate how anxious you must be to get the results. Checking with the hospital once/day isn't a bad idea - it will make you feel like you're doing something and might even speed up the process.

Good luck to you both
    Husband Shaun diagnosed March 2010. AFP 4571, HCG 3340.
    6cm x 6cm x 8cm retroperitoneal mass + 1cm nodule in right lung.
    Stage IIIb, Intermediate Risk.
    Left I/O March 9/10: 75% EC, 20% Teratoma, 5% Yolk Sac + Seminoma.
    3xBEP + 1xEP March 15 - May 21/10: markers normal.
    Bilateral RPLND July 28/10: 9.5 x 7 x 4.5cm mass, teratoma only.
    Chylous Ascites Aug/Sep.
    November 2012 All Clear
    Continuously monitoring 0.9 x 1.7cm omental nodule (possible fat necrosis)

www.teamshaun.wordpress.com

Comment

• AlexH
      • Jul 2011

My wife is a radiographer and she says that the length of time it takes a radiologist to review a scan has no bearing on the results. It could be a poor quality image that has been taken and so they have to work harder to diagnose from it, or they could have a large workload. Many radiologists are part time or work from home too.

I am in the same position with my biopsy results from my op yesterday and waiting is the worst but I don't think it's a case of the longer it takes the worse it is or anything like that.
      "Physically, half the man I used to be...Mentally, twice the man I've ever been."

"Losers quit when they're tired. Winners quit when they've won!"

Comment

• Paul54
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Lovemyhusband View Post
        What is the wait time for CT results? My husband had his CT scan yesterday and his results are "still pending". Obviously the waiting and longer it takes to analyze results makes us nervous. Just curious when most of you got your results. Thanks for any replies.
        This is one great frustration. If everybody pulled together, CT scan results can be available to your doctor and in your hands within a few hours. My normal surveillance routine is blood draw at 8am, CT at 9am, meet oncologist at 11-11:30 am. She usually has all the results on her PC when we meet, or will email to me by early afternoon. The advantage is that everything is in one building and everyone is on the same network. And they all get it: This is cancer: expedite, expedite, expedite. The state of IT in the medical community is absurd. Too many apps and networks that don't talk to each other. You would be horrified to find out how much stuff is still faxed and mailed. And lost.

Be an advocate, be a pest. It's legal.
        "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
        Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

• Tazz602
          • Nov 2006

I cannot agree with Paul54 more - my mother was an RN so I learned early on to be an active participant in my healthcare and make sure I have a good line of communication with anyone treating me and I feel like they talk to me like an equal.

In medical circles - the squeaky wheel is a pain but definitely gets the grease, if anything to shut you up (which is sad). Pester them. Don't be shy - call every day.

I was lucky on mine - maybe because I have to have my CT scans done in a hospital and a doctor is right there to read them but I've had my results next day and in one case same hour where they didn't let me leave and stuck me in the ER right then and there - (another story)
          06.06.2011 Found lefty's lump
          06.20.2011 - I/O completed
          6/30/2011 - CT Scan & Chest X-Ray - All Clear
          7/6/2011 - Pathology: Sclerosing Sertoli Cell Tumor pT1
          7/15/2011 - Treatment: Oncologist - Surveilance
          9/16/2011 - Follow up CT - all clear, but estrogen level up
          11/2011 - Another CT due to continuing rising estrogen levels - all clear except for a nodule on Thyroid - referred to Endocrinologist

12/2/2011 - Ultrasound on Thyroid nodule - results pending.

Comment

• Chukarboy
            • Jun 2011

Thank you for your replies! I told my husband the squeaky wheel gets the grease and to call several times a day if necessary. It's just that so much is riding on these results, thank goodness for Xanax! :-)

Comment

Working...
            X