Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rjw0283
    started a topic Embryonal Carcinoma

Embryonal Carcinoma

Hey all.. I am new to the site and just found out yesterday that I have 100% Embryonal Carcinoma.

Here the story goes;

Dec 6th 2011- Felt a pain in my left testis which led me to feeling around later that night I felt 2 pretty noticable lumps down there.

Did the usual man thing which is wait a few days to see what happens.

Dec 13th I went into my Aid station and described them my symptoms they looked at it and the DR had me schedule and ultrasound.

Dec 20th Had ultrasound done by the radiology clinic...they said they would send their findings to my DR.
    Dec 21st Went back to my DR where i started he obviously didn't know much about this type of illness, he first talked about doing a biopsy on the mass, but changed his mind and referred me to see Urology. He told me to call them later that day and make an appointment with them. I got a call about 30 min later from Urology stating that their DR reviewed my ultrasound and they wanted me in there ASAP. I got there and the DR explained to me what I all ready knew, which was that I had to lumps on my left guy and they always treat this type of thing as a worst case scenario and suspect cancer. I had an I/O about 8 hours later, I would have had it even sooner but to the fact that I ate some food on the way over there I had to wait. During the waiting time I got labs done and had a Chest X-ray and scheduled a CT scan for the following day. I had the surgery done everything was fine, I got to leave the hospital about an hour after operation and I was on my feet and moving the next day... after about a week I was near 100%

3 Jan 2012- I went in to get my results, from the Urologist DR, she informed me that I had Embryonal Carcinoma with Lymph Vascular Invasion, She told me that all my labs came back good and my ct scan and chest x-ray showed no lymp node invasions however she gave me the choice of having RPLND or 2 X BEP or Surveilance. Not really sure what to do. I am active duty Army so I think surveilance is not always going to be an option since I could end up going somewhere where it's not available

LDH 172
    HCG TM <2
    AFP 9.2

Today I will schedule a consult with Oncology to see what they have to say about the possible BEP but if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do just let me know, the RPLND doesn't sound like something that I would want to do. Also, there is not a whole lot of threads about Embryonal Carcinoma on here is this a rarer form of TC?

Thank you..
    Last edited by rjw0283; 01-04-12, 10:45 AM. Reason: error

• rjw0283
    replied
    1st round done..

Hello everyone.. thanks for the support on here... Sorry I havn't posted so long I just havn't really been in the "mood" to get in here.. So far I have noticed that the worst part of chemo for me is about Day 3- day 9 well according to my expeirence with the first round... after about day 9 I felt great.. And that was about the time I was taken off the steroids... The steroids SUCK for me.. make me moody and just grouchy asshole... so the first day I was off them I felt WONDERFULL! back to my normal calm self.. Seemed like I had more patience than ever before... I felt great up until I started to get sick at the beginning of day 14 or so.. just a little cold nothing major.. I went in for my BLEO and about 3-4 hours I left hospital I felt like CRAP checked my temperature and sure enough I had a temp of 101.6 this was the first time I had a reaction to BLEO and this was my 3rd shot... so I called my nurse and asked her if they wanted me to go ER... and that was a BIG YES for the ER... good thing was is that they called ahead to ER so they were waiting for me... so no normal long wait to get admitted.. Well I got admitted tuesday night and wasn't released from the hospital till Friday night around 7 PM, it was all precaution because my white blood cell count and antripenic or however you spell it count was so low.. so they had a magic number before they would let me go... and shot me up with antibiotics every few hours.. FUN times... well good news was I was let out before super bowl and I felt pretty good most of the time i was in the hospital... but they didn't care haha.. they were still gonna keep me no matter how I felt.. well I guess its better safe than sorry... tomorrow i go in for day 4 of 2nd and final round.. starting to get the metal taste and everything tastes like crap again.. back to peanut butter toast again for almost every meal.. its the only thing I feel like eating.. I don't really have any nausea its just that I dont FEEL like eating anything and it all tastes bad... hopefully its like my last round and I'm back to normal by next week... well we will see... thanks everyone....

ryan

Leave a comment:

• MrsB
    replied
    Good luck with your treatment. Hopefully all goes smoothly.

Leave a comment:

• rjw0283
    replied
    this hospital only gives chemo thru either ports or piccs .. that's just the way they do it here...

Leave a comment:

• CW406
    replied
    Originally posted by rjw0283 View Post
    Ok well I am gonna go with the 2 X BEP should start on tuesday... it all depends if they can get me a PICC line in by then... if not they will start the following monday.. I guess they want it to start at the beginning of a week instead of the middle of it.. Did the sperm banking thing today just in case.. 250 bucks a year to keep that stuff cold.,. I guess that's not bad.. Well anyways.. just updating on here..
    Time should fly right by. Strange that they're doing a PICC for 2X but I wouldn't fight it. The stuff burned my veins right up so I'd have considered it a luxury.

Leave a comment:

• LET
    replied
    450 a year in New Jersey. Good luck with your chemo, it will be over befor you know it.

Leave a comment:

• Wesmom
    replied
    wesmom

I wish my son's was 250 a year. I'm paying 480 a year in Virginia. Drink lots of fluid during Chemo and take your nausea medicine on time. Keep us posted.

Originally posted by rjw0283 View Post
    Ok well I am gonna go with the 2 X BEP should start on tuesday... it all depends if they can get me a PICC line in by then... if not they will start the following monday.. I guess they want it to start at the beginning of a week instead of the middle of it.. Did the sperm banking thing today just in case.. 250 bucks a year to keep that stuff cold.,. I guess that's not bad.. Well anyways.. just updating on here..

Leave a comment:

• rjw0283
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rjw0283
    replied
    Oncology APPT Tomorrow

Well tomorrow is the day with the oncologist, so we will see what happens.. After reading everything on here and looking at other sites I think I am leaning toward doing the 2 X BEP. But, we will see what the onco guy says.. more to follow

Leave a comment:

• S P
    replied
    Originally posted by ukboyuk View Post
    Every guy who does chemo, banks some sperm. So make sure you are able to do that.
    No banking done here either. We already have two kids, and my wife was very adamant about not doing any unnatural conception methods if that's what it came down to if we both wanted a third. Not something she believes in. She'd rather adopt.

Leave a comment:

• Wesmom
    replied
    wesmom

There is nothing wrong with your preference. Some people have kids and treat them horribly. There is no commandment that says "Thou shalt have children". I have one son and there have been bumpy roads. I love him with all my heart.

Originally posted by MIKEBRWADE View Post
    Well I didn't bank any, but I have no intention of having children nor does my wife. So we are the odd balls I know.. just saying some people don't :-P

Leave a comment:

• MeMo
    replied
    About having a baby after BEP treatment...we are expecting a baby next month
    My wife became pregnant 2 years after 3X BEP. Odds are very high after 2 years.
    Last edited by MeMo; 01-09-12, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Piskot
    replied
    Hallo rjw! Welcome on the forum with regrets but this is great place with lots of informations

I just want to respond to your question regarding BEP x 2. My husband had this chemo regimen last year. As Tracy and SPM said this chemo is full 6 weeks (one week daily in the hospital outpatient - one day abou 4-5 hours for my husband, second week Bleo shot and third weed again shot, and it all again for three weeks). About your question "guarantee that I lose the hair" - yes, I think it is 99% guarantee that you lose your hair about 10 day of chemo (end of second week for my husband - he shave it all in this time). I don ´t know what about having child after chemo but I thought that it is possible to have one. Doctors says that is needed to wait two years conceiving because of possible harm to the fetus. In any case sperm banking is wise to do... What about side effects, from experiences of my husbands treatment, it was very very similar as SPM says. My husband had some fatigue, the worst side effect was the metallic taste in mouth (it took about 3-5 weeks after chemo yet). He had a reaction to the Bleo too - severe fever for few hours, next day he was OK. He had almost no nausea (he got medicine for it: Zofran). He vomited only once, just after end of treatment. He was quite well about month after treatmnet possibly sooner, but full recovery with hair regrowth took about 3 months. He had full hair in 5 months (curly and darker than before, but today it is already a pre-treatment). So, my husband´s father was diagnosed with tumor on his testicle, but it was benign issue. Hope it helps...

Keep us posted and feel free to ask if you need.
    Marketa

Leave a comment:

• MIKEBRWADE
    replied
    Originally posted by ukboyuk View Post
    Every guy who does chemo, banks some sperm. So make sure you are able to do that.
    Well I didn't bank any, but I have no intention of having children nor does my wife. So we are the odd balls I know.. just saying some people don't :-P

Leave a comment:

• ukboyuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X