X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fairybug27
    • Apr 2012

cancer in both testicles!

My husband just found out he has cancer in both testicles. They will be doing a scan on Monday to make sure it hasn't spread to his abdomen or chest. Then they will be removed What can I do to help him through this?
  • Eugene
    • May 2011

Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.

Having cancer in both testes at the same time is extremely rare. Often times it's not the usual testicular cancer, but something like lymphoma. In some cases the oncologists try to treat the CA with chemo or radiation (although chemo does not penetrate the testes very well). If you are still considering having children, it may be prudent to bank sperm prior to the removal if it comes to that.

-E
    Whatever doesn't kill you...
    Self Dx'ed 4/5/11
    Radical inguinal orchiectomy 4/15/11
    T1N0M0 (Stage I) Pure seminoma
    Surveilance...
    8mo: all clear

Comment

• Already Bald
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by fairybug27 View Post
      My husband just found out he has cancer in both testicles. They will be doing a scan on Monday to make sure it hasn't spread to his abdomen or chest. Then they will be removed What can I do to help him through this?
      I would seek an immediate second opinion before surgery.
      Best.
      Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
      Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
      The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• Aegletes
        • Mar 2008

Can you give some more details? Contralateral TC is very rare. Simultaneous bilateral TC is even rarer still. My own urologist, after an ultrasound indicated my second TC, ordered an MRI as an added precaution before surgery.

As for how he must be feeling, I'll say that being diagnosed with a second TC was devastating for me. So I can assume the same for him, without knowing anything else about him. In addition to the support any man facing TC would need, somebody facing a second TC or a bilateral TC needs a lot of reassurance that life can still be normal. Some things won't be the same, of course: he'll need to be on lifetime testosterone replacement therapy and will lose his fertility (he'll want to bank sperm, if possible, if you wish to have children in the future). But with a correct dosage of TRT, he can indeed live a perfectly normal life. Please do ask questions here. I'm glad to be of help.

Alex
        TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
        TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

• DoubleZero
          • Aug 2010

I'll echo Alex's sentiments... Life does go on (albeit with slightly different perspective) after TCx2. Get the right TRT treatment and your husband _won't_ notice the difference.

I have a reasonably large set of friends/colleagues whom I train with and they all know that I am a TCx2, but to them I am the same DZ now as I was three years ago (okay I have more of my own plumbing back then). And to my wife our relationship is just as good now as it was then.

Take care, good luck, and if you need _any more information just as *everyone* here are amazingly helpful.

Jan 2009: RHS (Seminoma) & RT
          Mar 2010: LHS (Embryonal Carcinoma)
          Sep 2010: Relapse & 3 x BEP
          Mar 2015: Five years "nut free"
          http://doublezeroami.blogspot.com

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

I'm sorry you need to be here, but welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of info & support here, your husband would do well to join us as well.

You have already heard from several TCx2 guys so I will simply repeat what they've said: Life goes on pretty normally afterwards.

There may be a few hiccups getting the TRT right ( I didn't have any, but some do). He'll have to decide about prosthetics, I didn't, quite a few do. It is easiest to do during the I/O, but can be done later, so it's not urgent. A second opinion is not a bad idea, so might want to go that route, just to be sure, bilateral simultaneous TC is indeed very rare, so best to double check.

You haven't said, but I assume he's had an ultrasound already? If you can copy the results here, some of our members are quite good at deciphering the medical jargon.

Helping him through this is an individual thing, some guys are devastated & some just accept it. Tell us how he's handling things & we may be able to offer suggestions, but pretty much you just need to listen to him & be there for him & you two will get through this

Come back often & keep us posted on how it's going.

Dave
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Kiwi
              • Jul 2008

Hi

A double at one time is like the others have said is fairly fair.

This will be a massivly tough time but he will be able to move on and get things back to normal operation. Please let him know there are others here.

If this is reconfirmed to be the case:
              number one is to seek Testosterone Replacement ASAP, get on to this and make sure its not overlooked or delayed

Another Consideration is prosthesis, this should be discussed with the Urologist, this is a personal choise thing but should be discussed

Kiwi
              >>>>>>>>>
              TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
              TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Working...
              X