Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have the surgery on Wednesday

Hi all-

I was told on Friday that I have a tumor and have the surgery on Wednesday to take out my tumor. I was wondering if it is normal to think every ache and pain is the spread of this cancer thru my body.(itdoesnot help that idid strenuous yard work all weekend) I am probably just a bit paranoid, but I worry about being present for my 3 year old boy.

I use the term bad twin, because that is what I was joking with the lady running the US that I was going to name it. I appreciate having this board as a place to come to get feedback from those who have already walked this path.

-BT
    BadTwin

Terry

April 28 2012- Found a tumor
    May 2, 2012 Left IO
    May 28, 2012 - Pathology - Spindle Cell Tumor

Originally posted by BadTwin View Post
    I was wondering if it is normal to think every ache and pain is the spread of this cancer thru my body.
    You bet those thoughts are normal. But very unlikely! Take it one step at a time. Did you have blood tests yet?
    Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Just had the tests done today. Unfortunately, no results as of yet.

I think the waiting is the worst part of it. I would have let the urologist take this thing out this afternoon, if he would have done it in his office.

BT
      BadTwin

Terry

May 2, 2012 Left IO

Comment

Of course, the title should have read, Have the surgery on Wednesday.

Maybe I could have the doc take away the spelling feature from this iPad while he is removing things,

BT
        BadTwin

Terry

May 2, 2012 Left IO

Comment

Originally posted by BadTwin View Post
          Of course, the title should have read, Have the surgery on Wednesday.
          Fixed that for you. Least I can do!
          Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
          right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Thanks very much!
            BadTwin

Terry

May 2, 2012 Left IO

Comment

Ohhhhh yes. As soon as I read somewhere that a backache was a sign of spread, I suddenly had a backache. Of course, I then had my CT scans done that showed no spread, and my backache mysteriously disappeared...

You're right about the waiting, it's really tough. But you'll get through it.

Let us know how your surgery goes tomorrow.

Patrick
              Patrick
              29 years old

U/s on 1/23/12, I/O on 2/1/12

Stage IB
              Classical seminoma, 4.5cm, RT invasion, LVI, no spermatic cord margin invasion.
              CT scans clear
              pre op bHCG: 57, post op: 2.4
              On surveillance:
              Clear: 5/17/12, 8/23/12
              11/29/12 -- CT scan shows 1 enlarged retroperitoneal lymph node 20mmx15mm, stage changed to IIA
              12/17/12 - 3/17/13 -- EPx4 @ MSKCC
              Clear: 3/7/13, 3/28/13, 5/2/13, 5/30/13, 6/27/13, 7/25/13, 9/5/13, 10/10/13, 11/7/13, 12/16/13, 2/19/14, more to come...

Comment

Unfortunately it's common to think, when a pain appears, that it could be a symptom of a cancer spread or of another kind of cancer generating at the same time. I also think that the mind plays nasty tricks to us. Anyway, even if I know it's difficult in the moments before having the surgery and waiting for the first results, try to stay positive. I can assure to you that after the orchiectomy you will start immediately to feel better because the psychological weight of the surgery went away. Stay strong and keep us informed about your surgery and your test results!

All the best wishes for tomorrow!
                Frank

Comment

Hi all

Had the surgery yesterday, and a ct scan the day before. The results of the ct scan showed no spread. It was a huge relief.

All went well at the surgery, had an awful nights sleep(if you can call it that). Trying to take the pain meds only for last resort. (been in recovery for 8 years for alcohol). Hoping today goes better, and wishing that I had a larger dvd collection as daytime tv really sucks.

The back pain has vanished magically.

BadTwin
                  BadTwin

Terry

May 2, 2012 Left IO

Comment

Hey!

Great news about your CT scans -- and more great news about the vanishing back pains! The mind is a powerful thing, isn't it? So I guess now you wait to see what the pathology of the tumor is.

I also had an awful night of "sleep" after my surgery -- I think it was a combination of not being able to sleep in my normal position and mentally being pretty wound up from what had happened that day. Hope you are able to rest up more and glad to hear it went well!

Patrick
                    Patrick
                    29 years old

U/s on 1/23/12, I/O on 2/1/12

Stage IB
                    Classical seminoma, 4.5cm, RT invasion, LVI, no spermatic cord margin invasion.
                    CT scans clear
                    pre op bHCG: 57, post op: 2.4
                    On surveillance:
                    Clear: 5/17/12, 8/23/12
                    11/29/12 -- CT scan shows 1 enlarged retroperitoneal lymph node 20mmx15mm, stage changed to IIA
                    12/17/12 - 3/17/13 -- EPx4 @ MSKCC
                    Clear: 3/7/13, 3/28/13, 5/2/13, 5/30/13, 6/27/13, 7/25/13, 9/5/13, 10/10/13, 11/7/13, 12/16/13, 2/19/14, more to come...

Comment

Test results- sort of

Hi All-

I just got the results of the pathology on the tumor. They said it was a spindle cell tumor, and was malignant. I am trying to look that up, as it was not one that i was expecting.

Does anyone have any info on this type of tumor, or has anyone dealt with a result like this before?

Thanks
                      BadTwin

Terry

May 2, 2012 Left IO

Comment

I don't know anything about that other than what I just looked up on wikipedia. Will let some of the moderators chime in, but this sounds like a completely different type of cancer (originates from connective tissue?)

Steve - My CaringBridge
                        Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
                        My Survivorship Thread (all my links)
                        Now Blogging for the Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

Comment

From what I've read, it looks like that might be a synonymous or related term for stromal/Leydig/Sertoli cell tumors, which, while rare, are pretty well-known testicular malignancies. But I'm no expert. Hang in there, there are some true experts on this board (and hopefully you will find a good oncologist as well).

Comment

Thanks S P and CW .

They said they are sending some questions back to Johns Hopkins for further clarification. I hope it is around staging etc. On the positive side, i did read that they start staging this at about 5CM, anything less is considered stage 1(mine was 3CM on the ultrasound). But they also are looking to see if the cells had the ability to spread or if they were all encompassed in the tumor.

I am thinking positive thougths, and trying not to let the thoughts of 'Why do they need a second opinion on the classification?" weigh on my mind.

The reading I have done makes this sound like it is tough to find, but good results ensue if they get it all early.

BT
                            BadTwin

Terry

May 2, 2012 Left IO

Comment

Working...
                            X