• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Az09
    • Oct 2014

Recently diagnosed with TC

Hi,
    I was recently diagnosed with TC on left testes after my orchiectomy. Doctor said its Seminoma. I had no tumour markers in my blood. Besides that i dont have much details about my condition. Doctor advised me to go have a CAT scan of the whole body for further treatment(or to see if i need further treatment). My question is i read alot about CAT scans how they can be extremely dangerous in terms of radiation and harmful. Im worried about that fact and i dont know what to do. Is it possible to opt for MRI instead of CAT scan. Is it going to show same kind of results. Please help
  • Az09
    • Oct 2014

anyone ? im really freaked out about this having CT/CAT scan.

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      • Apr 2008

You absolutely need to have a CT scan for proper staging. As of yet, MRI really isn't an alternative. There is a study in the UK looking at the equivalence of MRI to CT but they are using radiologists that are highly familiar with retroperitoneal lymph node imaging via MRI. In the general population, MRI would not be recommended. The benefit of a CT scan for staging far outweighs the theoretical risk for a secondary cancer 20 or 30 years down the road. Depending where you are in the world will also dictate the radiation levels used. The US typically has higher doses than those in the UK, Europe and Australia. You can ask for a facility that has low-dose CT technology and you can work with your doctor to make sure you are following proper protocols and not scanning too frequently when monitoring for reoccurrence. However, not having a scan at the beginning for staging and for monitoring really is unacceptable and unadvisable. For more information on low-dose CT and questions you can ask you can check out www.dialitdown.org
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• Az09
        • Oct 2014

I am in canada. Im not sure if we have low dose CT scanners or not
        Last edited by Az09; 10-28-14, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          • Apr 2008

I am not that familiar with the dose levels used in Canada but there are questions that you can ask on this page http://dialitdown.org/did-you/ that will give you a better idea. Many times the scanners are the same but the software have been updated to allow for lower doses. Princes Margaret Hospital in Toronto did publish a study on low-dose CT use specifically in testicular cancer patients so the process/technology it not new in Canada.

When I was diagnosed in 2006, I was to receive 16 CT scans in 5 years, These scans were with and without contrast and had a delayed phase or essentially 2.5 times the radiation I would have received if they just did one scan with contrast. This frequency of scanning isn't recommended anymore as CT check ups are much less frequent. I can not stress enough that you need to have a scan for proper staging and proper follow up. I am fairly well versed on radiation exposure from CT scans and have lectured on it on an international level without being laughed off the stage by the radiologist and medical physicists. I personally would not be so concerned with radiation exposure that I would go without the needed scans for proper diagnosis and monitoring, even if low-dose technology wasn't available in my area.
          06.26.06 Left I/O
          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
          Surveillance...

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• eodtech2001
            • Feb 2012

I have to concur with Mike. The benefit of a CT/PETSCAN far out weighs the risk. I will give you an example of risk versus need. I was exposed to vastly larger amounts of radiation "military grade" with my career in the military. I have received more than 10x the normal amount the normal person is exposed to in a life time. Radon, Sun, xray etc...
            So for you to worry about 20 to 30 years down the road of what could happen from a CT scan is the least of your concerns. You run a higher risk of dying from a car accident than you do from exposure to a CT scan.
            Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
            Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
            Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
            Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
            April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
            May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
            August 7th 2012- BEP complete
            April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
            May 2013 RPLND
            Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
            Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
            Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
            Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
            Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
            Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
            Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
            Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• eodtech2001
              • Feb 2012

Not to mention if you dont get a proper staging then you may not be around to worry about the CT scan in 20 to 30 yrs. Worry about saving your life now and deal with the fall out later. No pun intended
              Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
              Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
              Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
              Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
              April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
              May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
              August 7th 2012- BEP complete
              April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
              May 2013 RPLND
              Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
              Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
              Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
              Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
              Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
              Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
              Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
              Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• JeskiM69
                • May 2014

I 100% agree with Mike and Eodtech on this. You NEED to get the CT/PET scan done.

- Matt
                March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                LDH never fully normalized
                Stage: IS
                Watchful Waiting
                May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                May 12th: started 3xBEP
                Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                September 4th: Port removed
                Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• Az09
                  • Oct 2014

I got a date for my CAT scan after 21 days. Do you guys think its a bit long wait? should i be worried and ask my dr to try to refer me somewhere else ?

Comment

• Az09
                    • Oct 2014

any one have any feedback?

Comment

• Mike
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2008

How long has it been since the orchiectomy? 21 days seems like a bit of a long time to me but I think things can be a bit slower in Canada. The thing would be that if the CT chows spread then how much longer are you going to have to wait to start treatments? To me 21 days would be unacceptable but again, I am not familiar with your system waiting times.
                      06.26.06 Left I/O
                      Surveillance...

Comment

• Az09
                        • Oct 2014

my orchiectomy was on oct 7th. results came on 27th october. so almost after a month. now CT scan is on 21st nov. and appntment with oncologist on nov12th
                        Last edited by Az09; 11-02-14, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Az09
                          • Oct 2014

I dont know if they are a bit relaxed about me because my cancer was confined in testicle ( visually) ?

Comment

• Mike
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2008

I personally would not be happy to wait until the 21st for a CT scan. Ideally, I would want to make a decision and start chemotherapy, if needed, within a month or so of my orchiectomy. However, I am not sure if you are able to do anything to sped things up. Having the CT later is obviously better than not having it at all.
                            06.26.06 Left I/O
                            Surveillance...

Comment

• ColdCanadian
                              • Jul 2011

Hello to another Canadian. Our system can be slow but it does work. I waited just shy of a month for my results and have a good idea what's going through your head right now. As for CT dosage in Canada, I think it depends on where you are. Locally our hospital equipment was updated a couple of years ago and the dosage is now much lower than it used to be. (and the scans are much faster) I can't say I enjoy the scans but I do enjoy the peace of mind from the reports after. As far as testicular cancer goes, you picked the right kind. Wishing you the best in the ugly situation you've found yourself in.
                              Greg
                              2011: July 7 - Right I/O, Aug 4 - Seminoma - 2.7cm - Surveillance 2012: July 30 - Relapse, 3cm paraaortic node, blood work normal. Nov 6th - Finished BEPx3 Jun 24 - 1.5 years post chemo all clear

Comment

Working...
                              X