X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EJH2016
    • Mar 2016

Ultrasound finds 3.3cm mass, left orchiectomy scheduled

Hi All - I am 35 years old and a few weeks ago felt some mild aching in my left testicle so scheduled a urology appointment. The ultrasound found a 3.3cm mass consistent with malignancy. Obviously a lot of anxiety and questions are coming up. I am scheduled for removal of the left testicle next week at which time they will do a CT scan and full blood panel. I was wondering if the size of the tumor gives any indication of the potential for spreading? I had no symptoms besides the mild ache and now I question every little pain. I realize this is normal from reading other posts. Thanks to all for any input or advice! see below for US results please feel free to comment: The right testis appears normal in size and echotexture, measuring 4.4 x 2.7 x 4.2 cm (length x AP x transverse diameter). There is no right testicular mass. There is normal right testicular color Doppler vascularity.
    The left testis measures 4.5 x 2.6 x 3.7 cm. There is a 3.3 x 1.9 x 3.1 cm lobulated, heterogeneous, hypoechoic mass in the mid to lower left testis with small scattered calcifications and internal vascularity.
    The visualized portions epididymides appear normal in echotexture and vascularity. There is a 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2 cm cyst within the right epididymal head.
    There is a small left hydrocele. There is no right hydrocele. No varicoceles are identified.
    Other: Testicles: Focal mass: Category: 5: Highly suspicious. Clear imaging evidence of malignancy.
    IMPRESSION:
    1. Approximately 3.3 cm lobulated hypoechoic mass in the mid to lower left testis with scattered calcifications and internal vascularity, in keeping with testicular malignancy.
    2. No right testicular mass.
    3/2016 -3cm lump-Left I/O performed -Pathology EC with some potential YS - Markers - AFP 42 & BHCG 37 - 2 enlarged lymphnodes
    4/20/16 - Met with Dr. Vaughn at UPenn. "Good Risk" Stage II
    4/18/16 - Started BEP X 3 - Markers normalized after 2nd round
    6/17/16 finished BEP X 3
    7/8/16 CT scan shows all lymph nodes shrunk below 1cm.. Surveillance!
  • Davepet
    • Mar 2010

Size of tumor seems to be irrelevnt for the most part, but obviously the larger it is the longer it's been there.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• EJH2016
      • Mar 2016

Thanks Dave. I am reading that these things can grow rather fast so difficult to say how long it has been there. Hoping for the best. Stressful. Thanks again!
      3/2016 -3cm lump-Left I/O performed -Pathology EC with some potential YS - Markers - AFP 42 & BHCG 37 - 2 enlarged lymphnodes
      6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• RJKD
        • Jul 2015

Some major things that increase the risk of spreading:
        1) non-seminomas tend to spread much more readily
        2) if LVI is present
        3) predominant embryonal component

Let's hope for a seminoma!!
        Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
        7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
        7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
        8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
        8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
        8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
        8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

Comment

• EJH2016
          • Mar 2016

Thanks RJKD! Ill keep you all posted
          6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• EJH2016
            • Mar 2016

I have noticed some of the nipple tenderness.. Does anyone know if that gives any further info about mets?
            6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• nito
              • Feb 2016

EJH2016 in my opinion, there is no rule about this particular type of tumor; for instance i was diagnosed with a seminoma which is usual not to have a high level of HCG (but i had), for seminoma it is not usual have mets (and i had)...hopefully the last scan showed that the mets have dissapeared.
              As you i had nipple tenderness.
              RJKD do you think that in testicular cancer have seminoma it's a good prognosis? It's just a question. I have a seminoma.
              22/10/2015: Diagnosis: pure Seminoma hcg 13268/ 20x25 mm mass in my left testicle
              23/10/2015: Left orchiectomy
              28/10/2015: TC torax/abdomen/pelvis 3 focal liver lesions (0,7cm, 0,7cm and 1,0cm)
              18/11/2015: started 4xBEP treatment
              31/01/2016: finished 4xBEP treatment

Comment

• EJH2016
                • Mar 2016

Thanks for your reply! Did you have any other initial symptoms? Hope you are feeling better after completing the TX!!
                6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• RJKD
                  • Jul 2015

Hey Nito,

As you had seminoma, your prognosis is very good. You seem to have hit it very hard and very fast with the appropriate treatment for liver mets. If those lesions were new in your liver, then they were likely mets. In fact, seminomas tend to have slightly better prognosis than non-seminomas. Although both overall have a good prognosis.
                  Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
                  7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
                  7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
                  8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
                  8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
                  8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
                  8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

Comment

• nito
                    • Feb 2016

It's recently my tc scan but the quimio was succesfully in my case (i try to say this like a whisper because i'm still afraid); now i'm recovering of quimio and thinking about to study a master in medical engineering in germany...so EHJ2016 i only can give you a lot of good whises and a lot of strenght...sorry for my english and thanks for the help which i have found here!!

EHJ2016, let me tell you that in your situation there is no signal to determine if you have mets...i know it's difficult not thinking on it. The only way are the visual proofs.

I dont have the experience of davepet and others here but i will try to contribute from my point of view.

I have the same opinion like Davepet; for instance my tumor was small; the size of the tumor is not a sign of good\bad prognosis.

About the syntomps, i remember a huge sensibility in my nipples ( tenderness?), and a lot of weakness when i finished my swimming sessions.

Good luck...you will overcome it, im sure of it!!
                    Last edited by nito; 03-13-16, 08:24 PM.
                    22/10/2015: Diagnosis: pure Seminoma hcg 13268/ 20x25 mm mass in my left testicle
                    28/10/2015: TC torax/abdomen/pelvis 3 focal liver lesions (0,7cm, 0,7cm and 1,0cm)

Comment

• EJH2016
                      • Mar 2016

Thank you so much NITO!!! Best to you and thank you for the support!
                      6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• EJH2016
                        • Mar 2016

Hi all- had my left I/o surgery yesterday and went well but won't have pathology reports back for 10-12 days (an eternity?) pain is moderate and will have time to recover. I also had the prosthesis put in which strange but shouldn't be tough to get used to. I will probably be getting scanned next week and they will review my blood work as well. Hoping for good news but open to what comes. Will keep you all posted.
                        6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• nito
                          • Feb 2016

EJH2016 i think you are going in the right (and scheduled) way; i will tell you that you must be quiet, but the inevitable anxiousness is something usual in these cases; let me make you a question, where are you following up the process? in which country? because here in Spain the results of pathology reports i guess remember didn't so long in my case, just 5 or 6 days.
                          Keep fighting and good wishes!

Comment

• EJH2016
                            • Mar 2016

Hi Nito- thanks for the response. I am in Philadelphia in the United States. Hoping that path report comes back quicker!
                            6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

• EJH2016
                              • Mar 2016

NITO when did you notice the nipple tenderness go away?
                              6/17/16 finished BEP X 3

Comment

Working...
                              X