Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trekga
    • Jan 2017

Glad Dr. E reasured you. Enjoy your puppy, and getting active again!
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• DoubleZero
      • Aug 2010

A puppy is a great idea. After my 1st TC my missus decided we needed a Lab' and have to say that during my relapse/BEP treatment she (our Lab) was a really good soulmate for me, and one of the things that "forced" me from my house and into some activity.

In terms of getting back to fitness, I was a keen (3 - 5 times a week) swimmer before BEP. It probably took me 4 months-or-so before I considered myself back to a level of fitness before TC. I'd say don't push it and let your body decide how to get you back there.

Take care, DZ.

Jan 2009: RHS (Seminoma) & RT
      Mar 2010: LHS (Embryonal Carcinoma)
      Sep 2010: Relapse & 3 x BEP
      Mar 2015: Five years "nut free"
      http://doublezeroami.blogspot.com

Comment

• Nish115
        • Nov 2016

Yh I sort of wish I had a dog during TC but a puppy would have been difficult. How have you found the training etc? Are you working full time also?

Ye definently going to take it slow, my onco said 6 months before fitness returns so I'll need to go very slow!
        24 year old diagnosed 6/11/16
        Pre/o markers 9/11/16 - HCG 15, AFP 210, LDH 539
        Pre/o CT Clear
        Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
        Post-op markers - 14/12/16 - HCG 35, AFP 1050, LDH 430
        Post-op CT with one enlarged lymph node - 1.5x1cm
        Borderline stage 2B/3B
        BEPx3 started 15/12/16 (Borderline BEPx4 - Advise of Dr. E to only do 3 rounds)
        CT and markers clear - in remission - 28/2/16

Comment

• DoubleZero
          • Aug 2010

Yes a (new) puppy would probably have been a nightmare! As it was a 1-and-a-bit-year-old was just fine, and my missus (and the dog) "forced" me to shuffle round the block every day or so - to get some fresh air!

As for training and working. Work was great, in that they let me get back at my own pace. I did a self-enforced exile for 3/4 weeks to allow my immune system to get back and worked from home (as software engineer) during that period, weaning myself back into it.

Training was a case of not beating myself up - I'd lost a lot of stamina and fitness during the chemo. And just built it up slowly over a few months. Everyone's different but, I'd say after 3 / 4 months I was probably back to close to where I was. And now (granted it's 7 years later on) I am, considering the age factors, work commitments and other pulls life brings, pretty close to the same levels of speed/stamina I was before this whole TC adventure.

So you will get there, just don't beat yourself up over how long/what compromises you might have to have in the short term.

Comment

• Nish115
            • Nov 2016

Didn't get the puppy in the end, think i'll wait a while!

Recovery is going okay, eating well now and no more dizzy spells. Been on a couple runs but only lasted 10-15m so slowly improving.

I have to say though that I keep thinking it's going to come back. I hope that it's just a phase, but the fact that my markers rose so quickly and took a while to drop just lingers in my mind, along with the decision not to do 4 cycles. I also get some twinges from time to time, my shoulder/right arm feels strange at times, my head feels strange at times, my stomach and my other testicle feels strange at times. Obviously i'm relating all these things to the cancer. I'm sure it's normal for people and i'm hoping it does down after my first couple follow-ups, but it's difficult.
            Pre/o CT Clear
            Non-seminoma (80% embryonal carcinoma, 10% yolk sac tumour, 5% chorea carcinoma, 5% seminoma)
            Borderline stage 2B/3B

Comment

• Trekga
              • Jan 2017

NISH~Like you wrote, thinking it will come back is so common. I hope that feeling will dial back as you get more follow ups.
              Glad you are eating better, and have no dizzy spills. Any exercise is a start!
              Son Grant
              dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
              Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• DoubleZero
                • Aug 2010

Nish,
                The "it's coming back" feeling is normal, and does/should deminish over time - but spike again around results day!! After chemo, my tumor shrunk but was still borderline in size, so I can sympathise with your feelings.
                Also every neck ache, were lymph nodes; every stomach cramp, were lymph nodes; every headache were mets! Thankfully for most people, that last statement is not true - BEP is pretty good at killing TC.

Don't forget you've, really, only just finished this part of your journey. It will take time for everything (body, brain, soul, ...) to settle down.

Stay positive. Vent here when you need. And you'll get through.

Take care, DZ.

Comment

• DoubleZero
                  • Aug 2010

Nish,
                  The "it's coming back" feeling is normal, and does/should deminish over time - but spike again around results day!! After chemo, my tumor shrunk but was still borderline in size, so I can sympathise with your feelings.
                  Also every neck ache, were lymph nodes; every stomach cramp, were lymph nodes; every headache were mets! Thankfully for most people, that last statement is not true - BEP is pretty good at killing TC.

Don't forget you've, really, only just finished this part of your journey. It will take time for everything (body, brain, soul, ...) to settle down.

Stay positive. Vent here when you need. And you'll get through.

Take care, DZ.

Comment

• Nish115
                    • Nov 2016

Thanks both! Yh I know it's normal, just isn't the best of feelings but i'm suer most of you have been there! Back to work in a couple weeks which should be interested.

I'm a structural engineer and when I left the project i'd spent a year and a half on had just started on site. I went down yesterday to see it and it's over halfway there now. Bit gutted i've missed so much of it, but it's going well which is good!
                    Pre/o CT Clear
                    Borderline stage 2B/3B

Comment

• DoubleZero
                      • Aug 2010

I know what exactly what you mean on the work front... my second DX was 3 months into my new job at a start-up tech company and my relapse 9 months in - so I missed lots of the "good stuff". Still better that, than missing it all together.

Take care, DZ

Comment

• Nish115
                        • Nov 2016

First checkup is next week. Been having some strange sensations all around my body really, just like it's not quite normal but not sure if that's stress or maybe some chemo side effects or something else.

Also woke up today with a slight upper back ache, then I sat down and it turned into a massive pain where I could hardly breathe. I gave it an hour and it's recovered a bit, it's more uncomfortable now than anything. I spoke to my GP who looked at it and said it's most likely muscle problems and gave me some stuff to do to help it (he knows about my cancer diagnosis but wasn't concerned). I'll mention it to my oncologist in a week, but hopefully it's nothing.
                        Pre/o CT Clear
                        Borderline stage 2B/3B

Comment

• Trekga
                          • Jan 2017

NISH~ Good luck next week. hope the meds the GP gave you help.
                          Son Grant
                          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

• biwi
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Nish115 View Post
                            First checkup is next week. Been having some strange sensations all around my body really, just like it's not quite normal but not sure if that's stress or maybe some chemo side effects or something else.

Also woke up today with a slight upper back ache, then I sat down and it turned into a massive pain where I could hardly breathe. I gave it an hour and it's recovered a bit, it's more uncomfortable now than anything. I spoke to my GP who looked at it and said it's most likely muscle problems and gave me some stuff to do to help it (he knows about my cancer diagnosis but wasn't concerned). I'll mention it to my oncologist in a week, but hopefully it's nothing.
                            Stress and anxiety. While TC grows fast, it doesn't grow that fast. You are not going to have cancer-caused abdominal or back ache only a month or two after chemo.
                            6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                            6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                            7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                            7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                            10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                            10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                            4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                            4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                            10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                            4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• MarkOne
                              • Sep 2015

You have been through much more than I had to face, but I can relate to what you are feeling. I got noticeably stresses out before my first few checkups, worried about every little ache and pain. All I can say it does get easier. Almost at 3 years out now and my biggest worry is remembering to make the appointments.

Comment

• Nish115
                                • Nov 2016

Thanks all, much appreciated! Back still a bit sore but it does just feel like a muscle problem. Hopefully next week goes well, i'll keep you all posted!
                                Pre/o CT Clear
                                Borderline stage 2B/3B

Comment

Working...
                                X